Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

West Ham fans

Comments

• Options

What really irks me is that football in general has no genuine will to do anything about the problem. It would be very easy IMHO for the footballing authorities to lay down a marker and say from now on this kind of foul and nasty chanting is not going to be tolerated and when it can be confirmed as having taken place then it will have serious implications for both the fans that are responsible and the club. Wipe the slate clean but as from next season the sanctions are eg. Any fan found to be guilty will be prosecuted and banned from all football matches for life. Any club where this happens will be docked points. First offence 10, second 20, third 30. Lets then see how seriously fans and more so clubs take this problem. Will it happen. Not in a hundred million years.

What is foul & nasty chanting? Your definition will differ from many others.

Chanting to Lee Hughes "murderer" is foul & nasty to him, but not to many others.
    Chanting "you fat c*nt" to another player is foul & nasty to him & other fat people, but not to others.

Who defines what is foul & nasty & why do they get the power to set that defintion?

You have to end up banning everything in order to avoid offending anyone, or you continue to use common sense & treat each extreme case as they occur.

• Options
    Common sense and football. As Eric Morcombe would have said " there's a novelty"
  • Options
    Not banter. Shouldn't be acceptable in a civilized country. I'm embarrassed to be associated with these people in even the slightest way.
  • Options
    edited November 2012

Genuine question:

Whenever this sort of stuff is reported, the press always mention the large jewish support they have. Yes, I know that there's a large jewish community in the tottenham area, but do they have a larger percentage of jewish fans than Arsenal or chelsea?

My home town (Gravesend) has a larger than average Indian population but that doesn't suggest most of Ebbsfleet supporters are indian (very few in fact). So why assume that the majority of spurs fans are jewish?

Maybe someone with knowledge in this can enlighten me.

Okay, the rest of you can go back to your shouting at each other now.............................

I think somebody posted an article by David Baddiel about this, can't remember where. But no, Spurs don't have an unusually large percentage of Jewish supporters according to ths article.

Considering the population in the East End after the war, you would suppose that West Ham have a bigger contintingent of Jewish following.

**Edit** Here's a link to the article.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2230243/David-Baddiel-Tottenham-fans-chanting-Yid-Army-sustains-anti-Semitism.html

• Options
    Stumbled across this by accident today. Funny how times change

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2003/jan/11/newsstory.sport
  • Options
    There is no meaningful Jewish community in and around the immediate Tottenham area, aside from the ultra-orthodox in Stamford Hill (who are unlikely to be attending White Hart Lane).

The largest communities (in the South-East) are in North-West London, Herts and Essex (especially Ilford/Chigwell).

West Ham, Arsenal and Spurs all have large Jewish followings (at least proportionate to the relatively few no. of Jews in the country as a whole ie. approx 250,000), as do Man Utd/Man City given the sizeable community in Manchester.
  • Options
    It's poignant to note the only Spurs fan in this thread has notes that it's no different from any other time when west ham/chelsea visit. The current atmosphere post Terry has what's made this blow up, but that's a good thing and the FA should use the momentum to actually kick it out.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Having grown up in the areas newyorkaddick mentions along with a number of Jewish school friends/neighbours etc, just as many were West Ham (if not more) as Spurs
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Did the “West Ham” fans give them the traditional “Does your butler know your here”….. 
  • Options
    They were blowing bubbles, just not out of their mouths.
  • Options
    Did the “West Ham” fans give them the traditional “Does your butler know your here”….. 
    So presumably that is the opposite to 'poverty chanting'?

Presumably Fulham will not show some anti-butler abuse slogans on their scoreboards in future...
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67682536
  • Options
    Singing 'Champions of Europe' at the Cottage after winning the Europa Conference,  a cup where most teams would struggle in the National Conference ...
  • Options
    GNelson said:
    clive said:
    Boat taking West Ham fans to Fulham hits & gets stuck under Hammersmith Bridge.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-67680559

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CNxik-CBy4

Correction: 5-0
    Missed opportunity for a bath!
  • Options
    Singing 'Champions of Europe' at the Cottage after winning the Europa Conference,  a cup where most teams would struggle in the National Conference ...
    They have been singing it all season

Been annoying me every game i have seen on tv(probably more than it should tbh) 

It was a 3rd tier competition almost like winning league 1 and singing champions of England 🤣🤣
    They've won a European Cup.
    I should think fans of about 9
    85 other clubs would take that.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    clb74 said:

It was a 3rd tier competition almost like winning league 1 and singing champions of England 🤣🤣
    Maybe so

But Champions of Europe they are not

They had a group with

Anderlecht 
    Silkeberg
    FCSB

Then beat
    Larnaca
    Gent
    Alkamaar
    Fiorentina
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    But the point is but that they should not chant, but what they are chanting.  Champions of Europe is a stretch and very uninventive. Write something better. 
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Maybe so

But Championship of Europe they are not

They had a group with

Anderlecht 
    Silkeberg
    FCSB

Then beat
    Larnaca
    Gent
    Alkamaar
    Fiorentina
    They are the Conference League champions  which is a European cup. I'd give my left bollock for our lot to even reach Europe never mind win a cup in it, even if the Conference league
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    clive said:

The most bizarre thing about that is that Hammersmith Bridge is PAST Fulham's ground, so what were they doing down there - looking for Millwall?
    They were at waterloo looking for pompey
  • Options
    How did they manage to find a boat Captain that could even do that ? Surely they have to be qualified and familiar with navigating the Thames tides and clearances before they are allowed to take charge of those boats.
  • Options
    How did they manage to find a boat Captain that could even do that ? Surely they have to be qualified and familiar with navigating the Thames tides and clearances before they are allowed to take charge of those boats.
    Yeah, but there's a geezer in The Boleyn Tavern whose brother in law will do it on the cheap. No questions asked.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    clive said:

The most bizarre thing about that is that Hammersmith Bridge is PAST Fulham's ground, so what were they doing down there - looking for Millwall?
    They go up and down that bit of the Thames before the game. It’s just an excuse to get pissed on a boat. If they was to go direct to Fulham they would be there in half an hour. A few of our lot do it when ever we’ve got Fulham or Brentford. Just an excuse for a piss up