Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jake Bugg

Comments

• Options
    Bugg doesn't even deserve to get a mention alongside Dylan.

Maybe after 20 years of decent material, but not right now.
  • Options
    Way too precious SELR.

Making comparisons with someone is not the same as saying they're as good/better than them. Young man with guitar, thankfully not drowning in harmonica, puts out decent debut album of songs many of which seem semi-biographical dealing with his young life & environment.

Bugg himself is hugely respectful of some of the names he's been compared with. Just read his interviews. I wish I'd had his knowledge of music history at his age. Took me a lot longer...and still learning :)
  • Options
    19 years old. Main stage at Glastonbury. Just him and a guitar.

Thought he was superb. Would highly recommend seeing him live if you get the chance.
  • Options

I've got tickets for 1 direction at the O2 !

That's one direction I will not be heading anytime soon.

How well will this Jason Bugg fit in with big Yann and how tall is he? That's what I want to know..
  • Options
    If anybody must compare him to Dylan, then compare him to a 19 year old Dylan.
    And at that age, Dylan had barely started writing his huge catalogue, which would make him such a legend in the years to come.

But then at 19, Dylan was said to be the new Woody Guthrie.
  • Options
    http://youtu.be/OBnYWtM3zLU
    This guys opinion on Jake Bugg ,
  • Options
    I like him, very talented, but not keen on that cover of Slide Away.
  • Options

http://youtu.be/OBnYWtM3zLU
    This guys opinion on Jake Bugg ,

"Bloke with strange accent from down the pub doesn't think much of Jake Bugg".

Changed my life that has...
  • Options
    Seeing him tonight. I think he's getting better and better...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01jkyzf
  • Options
    saw him last night and he was brilliant,does lack stage presence but i guess hes only young still.Sounds like his new album is going to be really good
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sweet - did he play many new songs? Also, what time did he hit the stage? I have no time for support acts!!
  • Options
    yeah he played for about 1hour 10 mins played a lot of new songs and finished on 3 crackers,(i wont spoil it).he come on at half 9.We got in there about 10 to 9 just as honey honey were finishing up.Was about a 30 min wait before they played champage supernova which got everyone going just before he come out
  • Options
    Saw him at reading this year, i was pretty mashed but he sounded brilliant i thought.
  • Options
    Seeing the man tonight. Looking forward to it and then the Arctics next week!
  • Options
    I'm liking his latest tune that's getting played on Six music recently. Starting to warm to the fella.
  • Options
    I saw him a couple of weeks ago at the Austin City Limits festival...granted it was 4pm in the afternoon and it was also 110 degrees, but I wasn't that impressed... Really wanted to like him, as like what I've heard on the radio (don't own an album), but he just 'grated' after a couple of songs... Loved the look (him, bass player - equally young - and a drummer) but it was lacking 'something'... He did come on after Electric Six who a) filled the stage and b) played a blinder, so that may have something to do with it.. American audience really liked him though, but I wandered off to the beer tent on the 4th or 5th song...
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Ridiculously late to the party, but very glad I came. Saw him on Graham
    Norton and realised he's brilliant. I don't see much in the Dylan comparisons myself, but get a real sense of Don McLean. And that's a rare, rare thing.

Just listened to this fella for the first time after reading this thread. U r not wrong ... that lightening bolt tune is mc lean all over.

havent made up my mind over the voice yet but what a guitarist. Great lyricist so it seems

is.it just me or is he a dead ringer looks wise for paul weller
  • Options
    Got 3 spare tickets for sold out Jake Bugg gig tomorrow at the Brixton Academy

£25 face value, will do them for £20 for any lifers?

They are e-tickets so can email them over for convenience or meet in London before show?

Text me on 07752984513 if interested
  • Options
    Just home after seeing Jake tonight at Brixton. Just a fantastic show.

I see a few comments above about thinking him boring & I admit that he gets on stage & plays & sings but, having seen him a few times now, the guy just owns the stage when he opens up & plays.

The new stuff seems a little heavier, but I am loving it. Champagne Supernova really does get the crowd going before he comes on, but I'd forgotten how much I love Stoned out of my Mind just beforehand. A lot of thought obviously goes into the pre-set as well.

Brilliant reception from a packed house & a just a great set.

• Options

JiMMy 85 said:

Ridiculously late to the party, but very glad I came. Saw him on Graham
    Norton and realised he's brilliant. I don't see much in the Dylan comparisons myself, but get a real sense of Don McLean. And that's a rare, rare thing.

Just listened to this fella for the first time after reading this thread. U r not wrong ... that lightening bolt tune is mc lean all over.

havent made up my mind over the voice yet but what a guitarist. Great lyricist so it seems

is.it just me or is he a dead ringer looks wise for paul weller
    Huge rockabilly influence on that song. And others, guess that's why I like him...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    TelMc32 said:

I see a few comments above about thinking him boring & I admit that he gets on stage & plays & sings but, having seen him a few times now, the guy just owns the stage when he opens up & plays.

The new stuff seems a little heavier, but I am loving it. Champagne Supernova really does get the crowd going before he comes on, but I'd forgotten how much I love Stoned out of my Mind just beforehand. A lot of thought obviously goes into the pre-set as well.

It was a great set, really enjoyed it. The Brixton crowd can go **** itself though. The cacophony of noise during the quiet songs was ridiculous, it was like he was playing in a pub. And don't even get me started on the obsession with mobile phones!!
  • Options
    I said exactly the same thing last night. Fortunately had a good crowd around us (we were actually up top at the back, so we could stand up) but I was getting hacked off with how loud the chat was during the quiet tracks.

Looking forward to the new album now and the Albert Hall gig next year.
  • Options
    I was near the sound desk, and it seemed to be coming from all the guys in the side bits, like Bugg just happened to be on while they had a drink. I really didn't understand it.

As for references to his voice - it sounds top notch live. Some of my favourite singers - Robert Harvey, Michael Stipe - avoid the big/ high notes on tour but Bugg goes for it on tracks like Broken or Slumville Sunrise. I really liked that.

• Options
    I thought he was on top form last night. Broken was just sublime in the encore.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

TelMc32 said:

It was a great set, really enjoyed it. The Brixton crowd can go **** itself though. The cacophony of noise during the quiet songs was ridiculous, it was like he was playing in a pub. And don't even get me started on the obsession with mobile phones!!
    Never understood why people go to gigs and talk through it.
  • Options
    I'm stuck on train listening to him on my Walkman.

I've seen it all.. Love love him.
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

I thought he was on top form last night. Broken was just sublime in the encore.

I went to a funeral for a teenage girl yesterday and 'Broken' was played as part of the service. Incredibly powerful and moving.

• Options
    Sorry to hear about the funeral of one so young Uboat.

It really is a wonderfully powerful song and it was amazing to hear the whole audience sing along on Thursday. I wish you hadn't had to have heard it in such sad circumstances. Thoughts are with you and the young girl's family and friends.
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

Sorry to hear about the funeral of one so young Uboat.

It really is a wonderfully powerful song and it was amazing to hear the whole audience sing along on Thursday. I wish you hadn't had to have heard it in such sad circumstances. Thoughts are with you and the young girl's family and friends.

Thank you.