Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jake Bugg

Comments

• Options
    Not a cover Steve. Written by Jake with Crispin Hunt, who used to be in The Longpigs with Richard Hawley.
  • Options
    Been you tubing him today, feckin class, got a 14 year old daughter into XFM, so Bastille and Jake Bugg tickets on the hit list for us both.
  • Options
    The Albert Hall gig is the next one in London on Friday 21st Feb. Sold out officially, but tickets available on sites like "Get me in" are pretty reasonable. Have seen him a few times now...thoroughly recommended.
  • Options

broken is the deepest most gut wrenching song I have heard, is it a cover? whether it is or not he has a fantastic voice and is an amazing talent. Despite x factor, good music/musicians wins through. Tom Odell and Rene Harveiu being other young pups with talent.

this....

http://uk.video.search.yahoo.com/video/play?p=jake+bugg+broken&vid=b3fec14cc9295a410989b415257a4aad&l=4:07&turl=http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=V.4513496450337439&pid=15.1&rurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp5cwZrHpgM&tit=Jake+Bugg+performing+"Broken"+Live+on+KCRW&c=1&sigr=11aeg5gda&sigt=11kjbp552&ct=p&age=0&hsimp=yhs-004&hspart=Babylon&tt=b

Got any other recommendations for me? I love both the tom odell album and Ren Harvieu is pretty amazing too.
  • Options
    Tom odell is amazing too! Grow old with me, is brilliant
  • Options
    the most played CD in my car , makes me drive slow just so I can hear the whole thing

this kid is so talented it makes you realise how shit other artists are
  • Options
    :-) just done the same nla. Have just picked a friend up and she wondered why I was driving a lot slower than usual. Jake was playing!!

A self taught guitarist, co-writer of some of the best songs I have heard in years and with a knowledge of music history which shames me (and I think I know a lot at 40-something!!) and only freakin' 19 years old!!

The Strypes are similar in that they are so young (16 to 18) and yet are steeped in music (Mod, blues, rock n roll) and it's roots and intent on playing their take on it without worrying about the X-factor generation and being populist.
  • Options
    santa may have to bring me some strypes
  • Options
    Me too...
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Just You Tube them guys (on work laptop at moment, so can't do it for you).

You can then judge whether you really want Santa to fill your stockings ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not my sort of music at all but ive got time for Jake Bugg. Like him.
  • Options
    The Strypes are terrible. :-(

Jake Bugg's music is good but I find it hard to ignore his manufactured "real music for real people" image.
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

Not a cover Steve. Written by Jake with Crispin Hunt, who used to be in The Longpigs with Richard Hawley.

Thanks Tel, even more impressive than I thought.

• Options
    Anyone heard Bastille's live lounge version,of Mylie Cirus it's feckin quality
  • Options

Anyone heard Bastille's live lounge version,of Mylie Cirus it's feckin quality

Pop picker! Thanks...just utubed and its great!

I know feck all about this latest generation of "indie" bands but the recommendations are spot on. Cheers

never listened to bugg, strypes or bastile before but glad i have now
  • Options

Jake Bugg's music is good but I find it hard to ignore his manufactured "real music for real people" image.

Each to their own on The Strypes Callum. From my point of view, I was just really impressed with their knowledge of music history and who they had picked up on as influences. Still a couple of years younger than JB, and I don't think they're in his league yet.

As for Jake...is it manufactured? He's taught himself to play, co-writes his own music and sings without aid (no vocoders etc). He's just chosen a style of music that many of his own age won't/can't relate to and that bore no resemblance to most of the Top 10.

From a personal perspective, that's something I love. However, having said all that, the huge mix of people at Brixton last week to see him, just shows that his appeal is right across the board. I'd probably have expected a lot more of those attending to be at Capital's Jingle Bell Ball, so I really shouldn't judge a book by it's cover!!

Some good stuff out there like Bastille, Passenger, Ryan Keen, Kodaline, Jagwar Ma...

;-)
  • Options
    You tube Bastille pompeii english museum cant beat it
  • Options
    Some great recommendations in here. I made a 20 song playlist tonight in Spotify thought those of similar taste might enjoy for the ones that they hadn't heard of.

http://open.spotify.com/user/shortsharpshot/playlist/3kMLOnAc5MfJNV734ApYsf

• Options
    edited October 2013
    TelMc32 said:

As for Jake...is it manufactured? He's taught himself to play, co-writes his own music and sings without aid (no vocoders etc). He's just chosen a style of music that many of his own age won't/can't relate to and that bore no resemblance to most of the Top 10.

From a personal perspective, that's something I love. However, having said all that, the huge mix of people at Brixton last week to see him, just shows that his appeal is right across the board. I'd probably have expected a lot more of those attending to be at Capital's Jingle Bell Ball, so I really shouldn't judge a book by it's cover!!
    The music I quite enjoy but I just think he very much plays (under instruction from his label) on his apparently hard upbringing. First example I can think of is how he goes on about scrounging for cigarettes on street corners and it really shouldn't grate with me but it does. Nottingham is no ghetto, especially for a kid like Jake Bugg. :-)
  • Options
    Nottingham is /was the gun capital of the UK. My company is fore ever supplying BR glass in and around the city centre.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I think The Strypes are excellent, and Jake Bugg is certainly better than the manufactured music we are subject to on most mainstream radio and TV.

Who are your current must listen to artists Callum?
  • Options
    i do see what Callum is saying but i really dont think is should affect your opinion of the music. perhaps some clever record label exec has realised this geeza is right on the money in terms of whats "hip" at the moment, but doesnt affect the quality of music.

concurr that parts of Nottingham are as tasty as any in London, especially Clifton. i spent a year there during my studies and its ghetto alright. i dont know if it was like that for him, so i wont comment.

ive just seen Mr Bugg is playing Zurich on 6th December so I am going to try and book my tickets tonight!

thanks for that spotify playlist BA - its super.
  • Options

I have to strongly disagree on the Strypes, I think they're fantastic, especially for their age. Saw them at The Electric in Camden, they were amazing. Really knew how to work the crowd.

What a shame is a class tune.
  • Options
    edited October 2013

I think The Strypes are excellent, and Jake Bugg is certainly better than the manufactured music we are subject to on most mainstream radio and TV.

Who are your current must listen to artists Callum?
    Haha you can all critique my taste now.

I'll always say Arctic Monkeys but I'm sure you've all listened to the new album by now. My favourite album of the year so far is ...Like Clockwork from QOTSA. Also gone under the radar a bit, I really enjoy Franz Ferdinand's newest album.

In terms of more current releases, I'd recommend checking out Lorde - Pure Heroine (released in the UK this week) which isn't usually my thing but I'm really enjoying it, hoping she announces some London shows. Arcade Fire have got a new album and secret shows this month too which is great! Not to mention The Dead Weather who are on the verge of releasing two brand new tracks through their own record label.

In terms of the 2012-13 wave of new bands, I'd recommend Drenge above most.
  • Options
    Not a bad selection either Callum.
  • Options
    Love reflektor
  • Options
    Did I pass? :-D
  • Options
    edited October 2013

Did I pass? :-D

With flying colours ; )

I agree with everything you've said in that comment. And as I own both Pure Heroine (Also not usually my thing but Lorde lyrics are really refreshing) and Reflektor (Arcade fire are brilliant, the album is pure class) I guess I have to forgive you.
  • Options

TelMc32 said:

The music I quite enjoy but I just think he very much plays (under instruction from his label) on his apparently hard upbringing. First example I can think of is how he goes on about scrounging for cigarettes on street corners and it really shouldn't grate with me but it does. Nottingham is no ghetto, especially for a kid like Jake Bugg. :-)
    No ghetto? Having spent time up there and also managed to come away from a scary night at the Marcus Garvey centre I can asure you it's no picnic.
  • Options
    Just got my hands on the new album. Two listens in and already love it. Much of it featured on his tour so not completely unfamiliar. Happy to share it (PM me)...