Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Euro 2020 Thread

Comments

• Our potential semi final opponent is now
    either Denmark or Czech Republic
  • Ultimately football is a team sport - Dutch never seem to gel properly.
  • If England lost 4-3 against Germany but played attacking, flowing football…. how would you all feel about that?
    I'm one of those that keep harping on about us being too negative. Not because I want champagne football but because I honestly dont believe we can keep a clean sheet against a decent team. Ofcourse I would take a dull 1-0 but imo that's never going to happen. If Germany score 1st we are fucked with no plan B. If we score 1st we will sit back and try to soak it up. I genuinely think the best way to defend against Germany is for them to be frightened of us but I dont think that is the case I'm sure they will be more confident of keeping a clean sheet than we are
  • IdleHans said:
    If England lost 4-3 against Germany but played attacking, flowing football…. how would you all feel about that?
    A dreadful performance and an undeserved 1-0 win will suit me fine, thank you

100%

It will be nice when people finally do actually wake up.
  • Dave2l said:
    IdleHans said:
    If England lost 4-3 against Germany but played attacking, flowing football…. how would you all feel about that?
    A dreadful performance and an undeserved 1-0 win will suit me fine, thank you

100%

It will be nice when people finally do actually wake up.
    Will have to play well in one of the games. 
  • Orange crushed
    ffs. Kill me now. 😂
  • i fancy portugal to turn over belgium - think belgium could do there usual blitz the group and then struggle in knock out.

They are both a threat. I can imagine an entertaining goal fest. Hopefully minimal VAR pauses, but don't count on it.

3-3, Belgium win on pens and de bruyne takes a knock. Out for 3 weeks.

That would be a result!
  • Dave2l said:
    i fancy portugal to turn over belgium - think belgium could do there usual blitz the group and then struggle in knock out.

They are both a threat. I can imagine an entertaining goal fest. Hopefully minimal VAR pauses, but don't count on it.

3-3, Belgium win on pens and de bruyne takes a knock. Out for 3 weeks.

That would be a result!
    Can't see Portugal beating Belguim but anything can happen in knockout football...
  • Am I the only one who's going to be cheering for Portugal tonight as if they are England?
  • Am I the only one who's going to be cheering for Portugal tonight as if they are England?
    Why?
  • Sponsored links:

• Laddick01 said:
    Play 6 at the back vs Germany I don’t care anymore. 1-0 counter attack with 11% possession will do me. 

Biggest game since Croatia 2018
    Who would you want in a Semi-Final out of Denmark or the Czechs?

Of course we'd need to get past Sweden / Ukraine first, and dont mean to disrespect them...

Just in all honesty I dont really care who we'd face out of those two

Can we beat Germany before we start deciding who we will play in the Quarter final or semi and who we fancy in the final.

How did you guys managed to forget Iceland and Croatia defeats in KO games and that we have never won a knock out game in 90 minutes in Nine tournaments in the Euro's.

50/50 match with Germany, who must feel Wunderbar after seeing the draw open up.

Portugal are fearless, unpredictable and always a threat. 

I fear the potential of playing against either of them... luckily, it would only potentially be a final. Long way to go!
  • Ultimately football is a team sport - Dutch never seem to gel properly.
    Sounds familiar.
  • AndyG said:
    I'm one of those that keep harping on about us being too negative. Not because I want champagne football but because I honestly dont believe we can keep a clean sheet against a decent team. Ofcourse I would take a dull 1-0 but imo that's never going to happen. If Germany score 1st we are fucked with no plan B. If we score 1st we will sit back and try to soak it up. I genuinely think the best way to defend against Germany is for them to be frightened of us but I dont think that is the case I'm sure they will be more confident of keeping a clean sheet than we are
    You think Germany who have conceded 5 in 3 will be more confident of keeping a clean sheet away against England who have conceded 0 in 3?
  • I fancy Portugal to win tonight - apart from De Bruyne & Lukaku, Belgium are aging a bit (the defence, Hazard having a poor season etc), whereas Portugal looked pretty sharp v France.
  • AndyG said:
    You think Germany who have conceded 5 in 3 will be more confident of keeping a clean sheet away against England who have conceded 0 in 3?
    That said, Germany have also scored 6 in three compared to England's two. So chances are one bubble or the other is about to burst.

My concern/question is that having not conceded yet we don't know how the England team will react if they DO go behind. One goal has been enough so far but it may not always.
  • thenewbie said:
    AndyG said:
    That said, Germany have also scored 6 in three compared to England's two. So chances are one bubble or the other is about to burst.

My concern/question is that having not conceded yet we don't know how the England team will react if they DO go behind. One goal has been enough so far but it may not always.
    It’s obvious that our attacking players need to go up a level. However, I think Pickford has been excellent so far and Stones/Maguire looked comfortable against a decent Czech side. Hummels and Rudiger are Germany’s weak spot.
  • For me, the Germans lack defensive pace and overall we have better players so there shouldn't be any fear. I know any result is possible but I think an England win is the most likely outcome. 
  • That Belgian line up is filthy
  • I fancy Portugal to win tonight - apart from De Bruyne & Lukaku, Belgium are aging a bit (the defence, Hazard having a poor season etc), whereas Portugal looked pretty sharp v France.

Portugal have already played against high profile successful national sides within this tournament. They will feel used to facing high quality in the opposition.

It will play in their favour.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think Belgium will just be a bit too good for them.
  • Oh ffs I didn’t realise this was in Seville. Khazi of a stadium.
  • Could be the game of the whole tournament this.

Portugal in extra time for me. 
  • thenewbie said:
    AndyG said:

It’s obvious that our attacking players need to go up a level. However, I think Pickford has been excellent so far and Stones/Maguire looked comfortable against a decent Czech side. Hummels and Rudiger are Germany’s weak spot.
    Oh I absolutely agree that they are there for the taking and we absolutely CAN beat them. But I don't know if Southgate believes that, and if that has impacted the players' mentality.

I have a feeling the hoary old cliché about the first goal being particularly important may well be a valid point for once.
  • If I was the captain, and a bit vertically challenged, I'd tell someone shorter to stand next to me instead of the goalkeeper
  • AndyG said:
    Against a team that has scored 2 goals in 3 games and carried almost zero threat yes I do
  • This is cagey

Portugal's away shirt is hideous
  • Portugal waiting to get their statutory penalty 
  • Watching both of today's games and I do think any of em are better than England if Southgate gets it right 
  • Watching both of today's games and I do think any of em are better than England if Southgate gets it right 
    Don't