Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Euro 2020 Thread

Comments

• I've really not enjoyed these Euros, feel like the crowd missing in these tournaments just takes away the excitement. Other than the England games I've not enjoyed it 

All of a sudden the talks of us winning don't seem so ridiculous, Italy although winning struggled in their first test, all group of death teams have struggled, Belgium looked like a crap version of us, Spain aren't the same Spain anymore, we've made Croatia and Czech Republic look average who have then looked good themselves in their last games.  

Anything less than a final will be an underachievement, not even arrogance, I would say it if I didn't support England, we have everything in our favour
    England v Germany though. Its hard to get too confident aint it. But after Iceland and maybe Croatia who we should of beaten, I think I'd prefer Germany.
    I'm not even thinking about the opposition after that game. That's my tactic this year😀
  • I quite enjoyed that game, Belgium very organised a bit like England dare I say. Nothing exceptional but will be hard to beat.
    1st knock out game I've seen over the weekend. What the hell happened to the Dutch? Were they that bad or were the Czech's good and  deserved winners?
    A bit of both I thought. Czechs probably best performance of their tournament so far, Dutch crumbled in the second half under a bit of pressure.
    Holland do have a tendency to crumble under pressure. Even so, I'm really surprised by that result.
    Just watching the highlights now
    All changed in one minute, should have scored then had a player sent off. 
    Yeh just seen it. Didn't recognise the Dutch player who had a one on one with keeper and ballsed it up?
    The red card looked fair. 
    Hard to see the Czech's going much further but you never know, they did it before. 
    Malen.
    Yes, definite red although ref originally gave a yellow. 
    Czechs have a good record in the Euros, much better than ours.
  • edited June 2021
    supaclive said:
    I've really not enjoyed these Euros, feel like the crowd missing in these tournaments just takes away the excitement. Other than the England games I've not enjoyed it 

All of a sudden the talks of us winning don't seem so ridiculous, Italy although winning struggled in their first test, all group of death teams have struggled, Belgium looked like a crap version of us, Spain aren't the same Spain anymore, we've made Croatia and Czech Republic look average who have then looked good themselves in their last games.  

Anything less than a final will be an underachievement, not even arrogance, I would say it if I didn't support England, we have everything in our favour
    Belgium looked like a crap version of us?!

Did you watch us v Scotland or the final 65 minutes v Czechs.

The draw has opened up, but I fear we won't beat Germany!
    Yeah I did, I watched Scotland batter us nil nil and Czech Republic dominate us in the second half to lose. We have a talented squad but we play boring & compact, similar to how Belgium play imo, except our squad is better. 

Trying to be unbiased here I don't see why people are worried about Germany, knock it about well but they're beyond suspect defensively and don't have a striker. They look far less assured than we do and don't look like a typical composed German side

I think we'll breeze to the finals and lose to France if they make it, the only team left who are better squad depth wise on paper and are proven winners. 

Worth saying as well I've never ever expected England to win in my lifetime once, this is the only time I've ever believed it, even with a dinosaur for a manager orpingtonRED said:
    I've really not enjoyed these Euros, feel like the crowd missing in these tournaments just takes away the excitement. Other than the England games I've not enjoyed it 

England v Germany though. Its hard to get too confident aint it. But after Iceland and maybe Croatia who we should of beaten, I think I'd prefer Germany.
    I'm not even thinking about the opposition after that game. That's my tactic this year😀
    Yeah it's Germany but it's just not the Germany of old, we have actual fearless players now who don't get stage fright and if he plays them we will get a result. Most confident I've felt about England going into a big game. We are the favourites and I think it will show. We'll either breeze past them or edge past on penalties
  • personally I think it’s been an average at best tournament so far and the diving, cheating and screaming are spoiling it for me.
  • personally I think it’s been an average at best tournament so far and the diving, cheating and screaming are spoiling it for me.
    This as well, VAR used correctly has improved the game for me, now we need to start implementing it to play acting. I'm fed up of watching grown adults throw themselves on the floor when they barely get touched. It's cheating and spoils the game. If spotted by VAR or a ref it needs to be checked and punished. Ugly side of the game and I'm embarrassed whenever I see it 
  • supaclive said:

Yeah I did, I watched Scotland batter us nil nil and Czech Republic dominate us in the second half to lose. We have a talented squad but we play boring & compact, similar to how Belgium play imo, except our squad is better. 

Trying to be unbiased here I don't see why people are worried about Germany, knock it about well but they're beyond suspect defensively and don't have a striker. They look far less assured than we do and don't look like a typical composed German side

I think we'll breeze to the finals and lose to France if they make it, the only team left who are better squad depth wise on paper and are proven winners. 

Worth saying as well I've never ever expected England to win in my lifetime once, this is the only time I've ever believed it, even with a dinosaur for a manager orpingtonRED said:

Yeah it's Germany but it's just not the Germany of old, we have actual fearless players now who don't get stage fright and if he plays them we will get a result. Most confident I've felt about England going into a big game. We are the favourites and I think it will show. We'll either breeze past them or edge past on penalties
    Our squad is not better than Belgiums.

Germany don't have a striker but in a group of death with France and Portugal scored 6 goals. We've scored 2, the least of any team still in the tournament.
  • sam3110 said:
    supaclive said:

Germany don't have a striker but in a group of death with France and Portugal scored 6 goals. We've scored 2, the least of any team still in the tournament.
    Why do we not? I would say Courtois is better than what we have, KDB by a country mile on our minds but after that then what? Hazard is completely out of form and not performing to the standards of Grealish, Mount, Sancho, Foden this past season, Lukaku isn't half the player Kane is when they're both on their day. Their centre backs are ancient, Vermaelen plays for a Japanese team, Vertonghen plays in an easy league. Our squad is definitely better. Two or three of their players make our starting XI, our bench options aren't even comparable when you look at club form. At best you could say Belgium's squad is as good as ours and that's being generous, it would be delusional to say their squad is better and would be underrating ours.

6 goals? Two registered as own goals against a poor looking Portugal, two were against Hungary. Why do goals scored in groups matter so much, how did that work out for Holland? 0 against a side we beat without leaving second gear. 

You don't win a knockout tournament by scoring lots in the groups, you get by the groups, they're not a real reflection on how a tournament will pan out
    Tielemans over Phillips.
    Witsel over Rice.
    Meunier has been better than Walker/James.
    Lukaku on current form over Kane.
    KDB, Courtois as mentioned.
    I'd probably say Alderweireld/Stones as CBs so that's another one.

Stones, Shaw and maybe 2 of Foden/Grealish/Saka/Sterling, I'll give you.
  • Sponsored links:

• sam3110 said:
    supaclive said:

Not sure there's a lot in our squad compared to Belgiums (on paper). Both sides have some wonderful attacking talent but bit weak at the back. Lukaku/Kane fairly similar. I think Belgium edge it but they are beatable. They certainly have some players in that squad that wouldn't make ours. 
  • edited June 2021
    sam3110 said:
    supaclive said:

Why do we not? I would say Courtois is better than what we have, KDB by a country mile on our minds but after that then what? Hazard is completely out of form and not performing to the standards of Grealish, Mount, Sancho, Foden this past season, Lukaku isn't half the player Kane is when they're both on their day. Their centre backs are ancient, Vermaelen plays for a Japanese team, Vertonghen plays in an easy league. Our squad is definitely better. Two or three of their players make our starting XI, our bench options aren't even comparable when you look at club form. At best you could say Belgium's squad is as good as ours and that's being generous, it would be delusional to say their squad is better and would be underrating ours.

6 goals? Two registered as own goals against a poor looking Portugal, two were against Hungary. Why do goals scored in groups matter so much, how did that work out for Holland? 0 against a side we beat without leaving second gear. 

You don't win a knockout tournament by scoring lots in the groups, you get by the groups, they're not a real reflection on how a tournament will pan out
    Tielemans over Phillips.
    Witsel over Rice.

They are definitely better in CM. Harsh on Walker/James, we've been rotating and we haven't conceded, both have been fine. Courtois definitely over Pickford, but again we haven't conceded and the latter has always been decent in an England shirt. Alderweireld has not had a good season, two in fact. I wouldn't have him above Stones or Maguire. 
  • sam3110 said:
    supaclive said:

Tielemans over Phillips.
    Witsel over Rice.

Tielemans is severely overrated, not a proper 8 at all, gastank isn't there, doesn't track much, on the ball ok he can ping it a bit but he is not an all action mid. Phillips has impressed me far more as an overrall midfielder. Also worth noting that I know 3 people that watch Leicester week in week out and all wouldn't be fussed if he were to be sold.

Witsel over Rice based on what? Rice is being quoted at 60 mill plus, one of the best defensive mids in the prem. I've watched Witsel roughly 20-30 times, never impressed me. Can you honestly say you've watched Witsel enough to know he's better than Rice or are you just saying it? Genuine question not being a smart arse.

Meunier better than any of our right backs? Cmon now. He plays in a 5 for a start..

Lukaku on what form? Kane has been better in league football, in a far more demanding league, Lukaku has what, 3 goals this tournament? Again in group stages. I remember Kane's not meaning anything to some people in the world cup group stages. Kane over Lukaku any day of the week, I don't care how many goals he scores in the Italian league, he can't pass for anything or travel with the ball, Kane is better in every aspect, genuinely.

Toby isn't on the same level as Stones or Maguire. He's weak, he's slow and doesn't have the passing range of either of those two nor can he bring the ball out as well. I would be amazed if there are many Spurs fans who would opt for him over either of them. 

I'm just speaking objectively here, I'm not saying it's coming home or being over confident, I just think other than 2-3 of their players, max 4 our squad is better. Whereas with a side like France I think we are trumped all over the pitch 
  • supaclive said:

I would agree, Belgian have better players than we do but play in a very similar fashion, with plenty behind the ball and looking to absorb pressure.

I am really disappointed so far with the mentality of some of these teams, there are some great players out there but it seems the modern trend is to sit deep and wait for an opportunity to arise.

The Italians, the masters of this approach, did this brilliantly the other night against Austria, even with a man advantage the Italians were content to wait until ET, knowing that at some stage they would get their chance - and they were right.

The problem is that this doesn't make for exciting tournament football and if I had the attacking talent of Belgium I'd be out there looking to put teams to bed rather than sit back, even today if Portugal had equalised they'd have probably gone on to win because the Belgians had stopped going forward apart from the odd counter-attack.

Call me old fashioned but I yearn for the football played by Brazil in 1982 when the game seemed to be about more than just grinding out a win, it was about special players doing unforgettable things and we just don't seem to have that in the game any longer at these big tournaments.
  • Let’s look at de Boer’s fantastic accomplishments the last 5 years…

Inter… 5 matches… sacked
    Palace…. 14 matches… sacked
    Atlanta United… 55 matches… sacked
    Netherlands… 15 matches…. soon to be sacked.

Maybe Spurs will take him.
    In fairness to him the Dutch side isn't great. Remember they didn't even qualify for the 2016 Euro's or the 2018 World cup and were way down the rankings (something like 35-40) a few years back.

Koeman improved them a lot, but De Boer can only work with what he has. They only have (in my opinion) 2-3 top quality players and losing Van de Beek pre-tournament was a big loss.
  • I always maintained that if we could get past round of 16 team we should be getting to the final 
  • I was a bit disappointed in Belgium last night Yes, they won, but they held on against a so so Portugal rather than stepping up a gear. To be fair to the keeper, the ball moved in the air so he reacted to the original flight which wrong footed him. Of course they are potential winners but they look totally beatable also.
  • The reason Belguim were hanging on was both De Bruyne and Hazard were off the pitch and Portugal are course and distance winners.
    As was shown when Kevin the ginger wizard came on at HT against Denmark and totally transformed the match. Italy will benefit from the physical and injuries sustained by Belgium last night.
  • Sponsored links:

• What a chance for England now though. Yes it's 'only' a last 16 game but it's much more important than that given how the draw has opened up, and you can make a strong case for whoever wins going all the way to the final.

Quarters - Sweden or Ukraine
    Semis - Czechs or Denmark.

I mean you couldn't have really scripted an easier run. It's better than 2018!
    Denmark to be the Croatia from 2018...
  • edited June 2021
    Taken me a long time to get engaged in this tournament but I have mostly enjoyed watching the so called lesser teams (Wales, Hungary, Denmark, Czech Republic etc).

They just seem less constipated and predictable than the big boys and have more in the way of old style football characters giving it everything as a team.

Playing for their country not just their CVs?

(Just an opinion- before the thought police move in)
  • Taken me a long time to get engaged in this tournament but I have mostly enjoyed watching the so called lesser teams (Wales, Hungary, Denmark, Czech Republic etc).

They just seem less constipated and predictable than the big boys and have more in the way of old style football characters giving it everything as a team.

Playing for their country not just their CVs?

(Just an opinion- before the thought police move in)
    Agreed - most of the big teams haven't been that fun to watch (England included) and the "smaller" games so far have been more entertaining. 
  • edited June 2021
    Think Belgium look way too shaky at the back to be contenders. 

Italy will be a proper test for them.

Our 1-0 against the Czechs looks better every game they play. 
  • sam3110 said:
    supaclive said:

Tielemans over Phillips.
    Witsel over Rice.

Tielemans is severely overrated, not a proper 8 at all, gastank isn't there, doesn't track much, on the ball ok he can ping it a bit but he is not an all action mid. Phillips has impressed me far more as an overrall midfielder. Also worth noting that I know 3 people that watch Leicester week in week out and all wouldn't be fussed if he were to be sold.

Witsel over Rice based on what? Rice is being quoted at 60 mill plus, one of the best defensive mids in the prem. I've watched Witsel roughly 20-30 times, never impressed me. Can you honestly say you've watched Witsel enough to know he's better than Rice or are you just saying it? Genuine question not being a smart arse.

Meunier better than any of our right backs? Cmon now. He plays in a 5 for a start..

Lukaku on what form? Kane has been better in league football, in a far more demanding league, Lukaku has what, 3 goals this tournament? Again in group stages. I remember Kane's not meaning anything to some people in the world cup group stages. Kane over Lukaku any day of the week, I don't care how many goals he scores in the Italian league, he can't pass for anything or travel with the ball, Kane is better in every aspect, genuinely.

Toby isn't on the same level as Stones or Maguire. He's weak, he's slow and doesn't have the passing range of either of those two nor can he bring the ball out as well. I would be amazed if there are many Spurs fans who would opt for him over either of them. 

I'm just speaking objectively here, I'm not saying it's coming home or being over confident, I just think other than 2-3 of their players, max 4 our squad is better. Whereas with a side like France I think we are trumped all over the pitch 
    Played well this tournament (admittedly last night was his worst game), been impressed with how much he seems to be in the right place at the right time & comes away with the ball.

Rice is obviously worth more given his age & potential but I think Witsel has a bit more nous at the moment & we're talking this tournament.

I just don't agree that it's as simple as 9 Englishmen plus KDB & Courtois for a combined side.

CM, full backs, Kane/Lukaku are all pretty even (except for KDB), then you'd potentially take our wingers, their keeper and a CB each.
  • I would hope that Benteke wouldn't get into our squad.
  • Think Belgium look way too shaky at the back to be contenders. 

They’ve conceded once in four games and Alderweireld was really good last night. 
  • se9addick said:
    Think Belgium look way too shaky at the back to be contenders. 

They’ve conceded once in four games and Alderweireld was really good last night. 
    Stats only give you half the story. 

Watch the last 15/20 minutes of that Portugal game and tell me that Belgium defended well or managed the game well. They looked out of sorts and it was only because Portugal had players wasting good opportunities and spaces that led to no goals being scored.