Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Euro 2020 Thread

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2021

Well, apart from the Orwell quote, it was something that I wrote myself.

I know that true believers such as yourself may be incapable of thinking for themselves and may need a crib sheet, but I am from a generation that was taught critical thinking at university, based upon facts and evidence, rather than just to parrot what everyone else says, or in your case, the 'correct' belief.

Go and look for yourself, the Guardian website is not behind a paywall; you'll see that I'm right:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jul/11/this-england-team-arent-playing-for-the-tories-version-of-the-country

Look at the comments below - pure double standards and bigotry.  Knock yourself out.  The division is caused by the Guardian and their readers - probably folk as woke as yourself who consider themselves morally and intellectually superior and thus, infallible.  So, the left try to divide people and you blame the right.  Plus ca change.

But it is so much easier just to latch onto a straw man of your own choice (did I say that all left wingers are unpatriotic? did I fuck; I know many who are very much so) dismiss the 'wrong' opinions rather than fashion any kind of logical counter argument, if you are indeed capable of it.

If England do win, the wailing and gnashing of teeth from parts of the left will be truly delicious.
    What an utter twat you are.
  • Options
    Is it the left's fault we lost or the right's. I am confused. I thought it might be because we are not the best at taking penalties.
  • Options
    Is it the left's fault we lost or the right's. I am confused. I thought it might be because we are not the best at taking penalties.
    You clearly know nothing about how football works 😉
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Vado a letto mi sonno appena ricordata che sono mezzo Italiano
  • Options
    Would love to know how Donnarumma got awarded player of the tournament!!

Surely there were outfield players within the Italian team who were better choices, e.g. Chiesa or Veratti
  • Options

Surely there were outfield players within the Italian team who were better choices, e.g. Chiesa or Veratti
    Chiellini also, he was unreal
  • Options
    When I got home and to bed last night I was gutted. This morning, I’m honesty not as dejected as I thought I would be. If anything I feel more proud. 

Looking back at the game without the emotion of the end result. The first half we got the goal out quick start deserved and kept Italy at arms length. Second half they dominated. Italy being Italy used every trick in the book of dark arts to keep control. Jorginho knows exactly what he’s doing stamping on Grealish and I’m surprised that didn’t seem to get a VAR look at least. 

On the night Italy were the better team that tried to force the game more and probably deserved to win in 90-120mins. 

Another two years and this England team should be in a position to win the final. 
  • Options

I guess neither of them played much in the first half of the tournament, Chiesa might have been a shoo-in but he didn't play the Semis or final.

Donnarumma was solid & then saved 2 pens, and I don't think there was a real standout.  Probably not who I'd have chosen but it's not a crazy shout.

Wonder if it would have been Sterling if we'd won.

Pedri was the definitely the right choice as young player.

• Options
    edited July 2021

He was not even the best keeper, let alone the best overall.

Spinazzola was on course for it before getting crocked but Chiesa or Chiellini had better tournaments if it had to be an Italian. 
  • Options

Chiellini also, he was unreal
    I think it was due to them winning two penalty shoot outs, but I agree with Chiellini. For England,Shaw had a great call and Sterling had a shout at it if he had had a half decent game in the final. I don't think it was his fault that he didn't, we were not supporting a front players due to holding on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I know that true believers such as yourself may be incapable of thinking for themselves and may need a crib sheet, but I am from a generation that was taught critical thinking at university, based upon facts and evidence, rather than just to parrot what everyone else says, or in your case, the 'correct' belief.

Go and look for yourself, the Guardian website is not behind a paywall; you'll see that I'm right:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jul/11/this-england-team-arent-playing-for-the-tories-version-of-the-country

Look at the comments below - pure double standards and bigotry.  Knock yourself out.  The division is caused by the Guardian and their readers - probably folk as woke as yourself who consider themselves morally and intellectually superior and thus, infallible.  So, the left try to divide people and you blame the right.  Plus ca change.

But it is so much easier just to latch onto a straw man of your own choice (did I say that all left wingers are unpatriotic? did I fuck; I know many who are very much so) dismiss the 'wrong' opinions rather than fashion any kind of logical counter argument, if you are indeed capable of it.

If England do win, the wailing and gnashing of teeth from parts of the left will be truly delicious.
    Great counterargument; obviously the grey matter isn't up to much more than learning the 'correct' opinions and parroting them.

Fuckwit.
  • Options
    Extremely proud of our team and Southgate. Better people than our politicians for sure. Some of our fans are an embarrassment though.
  • Options

Great counterargument; obviously the grey matter isn't up to much more than learning the 'correct' opinions and parroting them.

Fuckwit.
    Is it worse to be a 'fuckwit' or an 'utter twat'?
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    The reason we have missed a fantastic opportunity to win a trophy is clear to see:

In 66 all at Wembley
    In 96 all at Wembley
    In 2021 all at Wembley bar the Ukraine game in Rome.

3 tournaments and we don't lose a game in 120+ minutes.

When the next tournament game is at Wembley I will be watching but it will be high up in the "god's".

Edit: maybe low down in the cellar.
  • Options
    It is worse to be both.
  • Options
    Cheer up chaps. Sandgaard is going to lead us to the League One title.
  • Options

Fuckwit.
    Show me the post where you condemned those who booed the England team for taking the knee and I will sincerely apologise. 

No point disecting your self written piece, it shows no analysis, no forensic examination and no thought, just plenty of dog whistles.

And who brags about a university education on a football forum, only a twat.
  • Options

Fuckwit.
    Show me the post where you condemned those who booed the England team for taking the knee and I will sincerely apologise. 

No point disecting your self written piece, it shows no analysis, no forensic examination and no thought, just plenty of dog whistles.

Why have you brought taking the knee into it? What's that got to do with the double standards used to define all England fans due to the actions of a moronic minority? Is it only ok when your 'side' does it, or can we all have a go?  Any chance of you actually addressing the point that was made and enlightening me?

Why not just have an argument with yourself where you can keep bringing in straw men and what-aboutery and then convince yourself that you 'won' the argument? 

What I wrote has plenty of salient points which you will not engage with because you are unable to....and then when you did, you brought in something irrelevant.   You posted saying that I must have copied it, and you were wrong. You implied that it was some kind of figment of my imagination, so I provided the link to the article and comments so that you could see for yourself.  So you were wrong again.  Now you're just getting butthurt about this and flailing around with irrelevant straw men and whataboutery.  Why am I not surprised?

I apologise for bringing University into it, I acknowledge that it is a twattish thing to do and I wouldn't normally do so; it's just that it is so difficult to find anyone woke who will engage with actual arguments and logic as none of that is fashionable these days (case in point, you).  I was just pointing out the generational difference as these days, many youthful woke warriors think that they are more intelligent than the horrible working class types who support England and don't hate their country because they have a toilet paper degree in Gender Studies (parrot the correct opinions and it's a guaranteed first!), yet they are unable to use logic and critical thinking and decry others for the same.  Self awareness is a foreign country to them.  Whether that is your excuse, is a different matter.

Congratulations on winning the argument with yourself, though.
  • Options
    i think the problem was yesterday we were never really in it. We got the quick goal but the Italians controlled the midfield for the majority of the game, we played on the back foot and eventually there was always going to be a chink in the armour. 

Should we have changed formation for the game? I dont think so, I think we showed too much respect, we dont have the pedigree to grind out the results the Italians are able to do so in the past. I think we are genuinely scared to win. i think it was Chelinni or Bonnuici who said England's bench could win it and i really believe they could but we didnt. I thought having beaten Colombia on pens and getting to the WC semi final that we had exorcised the demons of the past, beating Germany... I think with this penalty loss we have set ourselves back further again, I dont see us getting close to the finals in a tournament for the next decade easily. I think the next WC will be Southgate's last, with the attacking talent we had and the cohesion of the team we need that cutting edge and to have teams fear us. No teams fear us.

With regards to the players that came on and people saying they came on cold, you come on to do a job, you have one job to do. I dont care if it was Rashford, Sancho and Sake or if it was the next 3, you have a job to do, one being saved alright fair enough, keeper guessed the right way but 3... 3 guys couldnt hit the back of the net.

The tournament was ours to lose and in true England style we lost. We've all complained we would do better at home, then when we play at home we say oh its the pressure of the crowd, then when we play away its not having the support. We just come up with an excuse for every occasion because at the end of the day, we really just arent that good... :( 
  • Options

Fuckwit.

Why have you brought taking the knee into it? What's that got to do with the double standards used to define all England fans due to the actions of a moronic minority? Is it only ok when your 'side' does it, or can we all have a go?  Any chance of you actually addressing the point that was made and enlightening me?

Why not just have an argument with yourself where you can keep bringing in straw men and what-aboutery and then convince yourself that you 'won' the argument? 

What I wrote has plenty of salient points which you will not engage with because you are unable to....and then when you did, you brought in something irrelevant.   You posted saying that I must have copied it, and you were wrong. You implied that it was some kind of figment of my imagination, so I provided the link to the article and comments so that you could see for yourself.  So you were wrong again.  Now you're just getting butthurt about this and flailing around with irrelevant straw men and whataboutery.  Why am I not surprised?

I apologise for bringing University into it, I acknowledge that it is a twattish thing to do and I wouldn't normally do so; it's just that it is so difficult to find anyone woke who will engage with actual arguments and logic as none of that is fashionable these days (case in point, you).  I was just pointing out the generational difference as these days, many youthful woke warriors think that they are more intelligent than the horrible working class types who support England and don't hate their country because they have a toilet paper degree in Gender Studies (parrot the correct opinions and it's a guaranteed first!), yet they are unable to use logic and critical thinking and decry others for the same.  Self awareness is a foreign country to them.  Whether that is your excuse, is a different matter.

Congratulations on winning the argument with yourself, though.
    Can you highlight the salient points as I missed them. I am not going to go back and look as on phone but from memory you started with a "famous quote" from Orwell. It is not a famous quote and there was no context to it.

The quote was full of references to Russia and you failed to spot the link between Russia and the right wing in England, Putin and his mates are major funders of the Tories and Johnson.

You then went into lay into the Guardian which came across as a thinly disguised attack on people who disagree with your world view. But no analysis on why the Guardian, you could have mentioned that it relies on advertising as it is not owned by a single person (I think one of the few papers English owned) and therefore has open comments to attract hits (and therefore advertising revenue).  You could have speculated where the commentators where from, they could be non English, Celtic neighbours, wind up merchants, bots from Russia, agent provocateurs? Or perhaps they had reasons to hate England, we haven't always brought great cheer around the world. But no you decided they were lefty woke (whatever the fuck that means) snowflakes. You could have just left it and said 'fuck 'em' to yourself as I would have but no you had to give your opinion and then state that you have used critical thinking as if that would hide the many leaps to conclusions.

You then came back at my admittedly boorish response with a whole host of labels and assumptions which you have the good grace to repeat above. Again you make assumptions, what do you think my background is, how old do you think I am. Is it just possible that a different working class bloke from you wants a fair world where everybody gets a chance or should we all just tug our forlocks and behave no better than we should.

As for the comparisons between booing the taking of the knee and what you have written, well. Actual English fans booed their own team for an action that the team took to oppose racism and discrimination, they booed their own team before a ball was kicked.

Your original post was about people running down England on an open forum who could have been from anywhere. Annoying as that is the booing of the England team by English fans is worse. Particularly if you can see the connections between that and the racism endured by three young men last night.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cheer up chaps. Sandgaard is going to lead us to the League One title.

Lets hope we sign over half a team pretty soon then.
  • Options
    Interesting post Mr Scrappy.
    We were in it though and despite that delay in counter acting the changes made by Mancini, we may have lost the 120 minutes on points but when it came to the penalties we were ahead after the Italian miss even though we snatched defeat from the jaws of Victory. 

• Options
    Just back from holiday; quick request for help. 

Maybe I'm showing my age but I was really expecting that the BBC would put together a tournament highlights show, but so far at least, nothing shows up in the schedules. Is there/will there be such a thing?

I'm looking for the chance to see extended (8-10 min) highlights of the good games I missed, especially Italy - Spain. 

Puzzled that such a prog would be missing but I have a feeling that it has been missing from more recent tournos for a while, yet in the past it was a staple. Must be a rights thing.

I think we should move the political stuff around the Euros to a separate thread now. I'm all for it, it's extraordinary what's happened in the last 24 hours, but I do think we should keep footie threads for footie as far as possible.
  • Options
    Just back from holiday; quick request for help. 

Maybe I'm showing my age but I was really expecting that the BBC would put together a tournament highlights show, but so far at least, nothing shows up in the schedules. Is there/will there be such a thing?

I'm looking for the chance to see extended (8-10 min) highlights of the good games I missed, especially Italy - Spain. 

Puzzled that such a prog would be missing but I have a feeling that it has been missing from more recent tournos for a while, yet in the past it was a staple. Must be a rights thing.

I think we should move the political stuff around the Euros to a separate thread now. I'm all for it, it's extraordinary what's happened in the last 24 hours, but I do think we should keep footie threads for footie as far as possible.
    Try YouTube... They've got 5min (ITV) | 4min (BBC) highlights of the Italy v Spain game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KKumkuSYEk
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Jorginho more than just a pass merchant.
  • Options
    Can't be often that neither of the 2 top scorers made the team of the tournament.

How does Lukaku get in ahead of Schick? None of Belgium's results were affected by his goals, where as the Czech's wouldn't have even got out of the group without Schick's goals.
  • Options
    Can't be often that neither of the 2 top scorers made the team of the tournament.

How does Lukaku get in ahead of Schick? None of Belgium's results were affected by his goals, where as the Czech's wouldn't have even got out of the group without Schick's goals.
    Completely agree - Its not like Belgium went further in the competition either