Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Euro 2020 Thread

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2021
    bobmunro said:
    Italy are clearly the favourites for the game. English betting companies have to put England at a low price because of the amount of money wagered. 

Do England swap to 3 at the back again for the final? 
    The prices i put up are from the Betfair exchange, they're not prices offered by a bookmaker.

I think @bobmunro has also previously said that in the modern day where everything is global and online the prices don't really differ so much.

Granted you'll probably get better odds on England at an independent local Italian bookie though.
    Yes, it's a totally different game nowadays. 

Back in the day, UK bookmakers would compile prices and broadly speaking stick to them, with the odds compilers being the kings 'It's the right price so I'm sticking with it'. Now it's about trading (how much and from who?) - 'trade the numbers, not the opinion'. Now football markets globally are pretty much formed in Asia.

We will also take more money on the game from our overseas markets than we will in the UK.

For what my opinion is worth, I would make Italy slight favourites if it was a neutral venue - but being at Wembley makes it pretty much a pick'em. For that reason I would not back England at odds on, and would back Italy at anything better than evens (not that I will back against England out of principle!). 

Most people would immediately think Italy would have an edge I would have thought purely because of perceived history and they are on a fantastic run. However, I’ve not been too convinced they are as resilient a squad as people think. Sure, that game against Spain was awesome to watch but it was two teams playing with a style that let each other do the pretty things and Italy really only beat a Spanish side (on penalties) that did its usual thing of passing the ball a thousand times with basically not a lot to show at the end of it. The quarter final could have gone either way. They didn’t really have to break a sweat against the teams before that, not because they were so good but because the teams they played weren’t really that good. Starting with the mind games about the fans in the ground and cheating tells us they are the ones that are worried ahead of Sunday’s game, and rightly so, they are playing a solid, cohesive, tight knit group in England that has shedloads of talent and commitment to spare. Italy will melt away on Sunday night when they are out to the test.
    I think there are two sides you can take on this. You are right that Italy were not brilliant against a decent (but poor by their standards) Spain side. I would look at Austria too where I believe without VAR, Italy would probably be out. They have put in some excellent performances too and beating Switzerland 3-0 was one of them. When they flow they look as good as anybody but losing Spinazzola was a big blow as he was an integral part of what they do.

I would make England favourites, but the outcome is hard to call. It may come down to the run of the green which nobody can predict. I am honestly not sure whether having excellent but aging defenders will be a good or bad thing for them on Sunday. England have a lot of pace in the side.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Italy are clearly the favourites for the game. English betting companies have to put England at a low price because of the amount of money wagered. 

The prices i put up are from the Betfair exchange, they're not prices offered by a bookmaker.

I think @bobmunro has also previously said that in the modern day where everything is global and online the prices don't really differ so much.

Granted you'll probably get better odds on England at an independent local Italian bookie though.

Back in the day, UK bookmakers would compile prices and broadly speaking stick to them, with the odds compilers being the kings 'It's the right price so I'm sticking with it'. Now it's about trading (how much and from who?) - 'trade the numbers, not the opinion'. Now football markets globally are pretty much formed in Asia.

We will also take more money on the game from our overseas markets than we will in the UK.

For what my opinion is worth, I would make Italy slight favourites if it was a neutral venue - but being at Wembley makes it pretty much a pick'em. For that reason I would not back England at odds on, and would back Italy at anything better than evens (not that I will back against England out of principle!). 

Most people would immediately think Italy would have an edge I would have thought purely because of perceived history and they are on a fantastic run. However, I’ve not been too convinced they are as resilient a squad as people think. Sure, that game against Spain was awesome to watch but it was two teams playing with a style that let each other do the pretty things and Italy really only beat a Spanish side (on penalties) that did its usual thing of passing the ball a thousand times with basically not a lot to show at the end of it. The quarter final could have gone either way. They didn’t really have to break a sweat against the teams before that, not because they were so good but because the teams they played weren’t really that good. Starting with the mind games about the fans in the ground and cheating tells us they are the ones that are worried ahead of Sunday’s game, and rightly so, they are playing a solid, cohesive, tight knit group in England that has shedloads of talent and commitment to spare. Italy will melt away on Sunday night when they are out to the test.
    I think there are two sides you can take on this. You are right that Italy were not brilliant against a decent (but poor by their standards) Spain side. I would look at Austria too where I believe without VAR, Italy would probably be out. They have put in some excellent performances too and beating Switzerland 3-0 was one of them. When they flow they look as good as anybody but losing Spinazzola was a big blow as he was an integral part of what they do.

I would make England favourites, but the outcome is hard to predict. It may come down to the run of the green which nobody can predict. I am honestly not sure whether having excellent but aging defenders will be a good or bad thing for them on Sunday. England have a lot of pace in the side.

Agree about Spinazzola - Italy's main threat has come down their left and the work he was doing with Insigne was having a huge impact on their effectiveness. It could make the difference.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:

I would make England favourites, but the outcome is hard to predict. It may come down to the run of the green which nobody can predict. I am honestly not sure whether having excellent but aging defenders will be a good or bad thing for them on Sunday. England have a lot of pace in the side.

Agree about Spinazzola - Italy's main threat has come down their left and the work he was doing with Insigne was having a huge impact on their effectiveness. It could make the difference.
    And that’s the difference between the two sides. England look like a squad where anybody can be replaced by another player whereas Italy don’t. After the second game I wrote on a thread, maybe this one, that I thought Italy basically looked like a team of great players who were playing to grab the glory for themselves when they had the ball and were not passing to teammates in a far better position and that could blow up if things are not going their way.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:

And that’s the difference between the two sides. England look like a squad where anybody can be replaced by another player whereas Italy don’t. After the second game I wrote on a thread, maybe this one, that I thought Italy basically looked like a team of great players who were playing to grab the glory for themselves when they had the ball and were not passing to teammates in a far better position and that could blow up if things are not going their way.
    With a toe, not a foot, in the Italian camp. I can say with a lot of confidence that there are no team issues with Italy. They are certainly as united as England are on that front. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    All these plebs on twitter from Scotland, Ireland and Wales posting anti-England tripe, and you look at their bios and they all support an English football club?
    Don’t forget your Scouse not English, Liverpool fans. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    All these plebs on twitter from Scotland, Ireland and Wales posting anti-England tripe, and you look at their bios and they all support an English football club?
    The best antidote is not to let it annoy you. Continue to wish the home nations to do well and know you are better than them. I must add that there are a sizeable number of Scots, Welsh and Irish, rooting for England as a home nation. They are just not vocal about it.
  • Options
    SamB09 said:
    If i remember correctly, UEFA moved the champs league final to saturday nights so that more kids could watch the game(or something like that)so why not have this final on a saturday? 
    Sod that. We need a rest before we mert Italy.
    Oh yea of course but they could of scheduled the semis ,1/4 games a day earlier to make the final on the saturday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I expect England to win. Italy looked far better at the start of the tournament but seem to have gradually looked less impressive. Our squad looks fitter.

The way we closed out the game against Denmark was like old school Italy.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    The best antidote is not to let it annoy you. Continue to wish the home nations to do well and know you are better than them. I must add that there are a sizeable number of Scots, Welsh and Irish, rooting for England as a home nation. They are just not vocal about it.
    I’m the opposite I hope the Welsh, Irish and Scots will be cheering on Italy. It means I don’t feel guilty then when I’m laughing at Kazakhstan pump Scotland 3-0 & Luxembourg win at Ireland 1-0.
  • Options

• Options
    When he was having his difficult start Kane talked about peaking at the right moments in tournaments, and how he felt in peaked too early in the World Cup and that let him down from there. This time he seems to have done it the right way round and has a history of breaking his ducks with flurries of goals and good performances. It does make me think about Italy though. They were totally dominant in the group stage but seem to have struggled since then to maintain their level of dominance, which isn't really surprising. England have grown into it though and look a lot better than they did against Croatia and Scotland, saving the best performances for the knockouts. It all starts fresh in a final, but I'd hope that our incredibly young and well-rotated squad is hitting its stride just as the older Italy squad with its consistent line-up are starting to creak a bit. That's the dream
  • Options
    I'm super confident about this match. I was worried about the Danes as they were always going to give us a tough match. I just dont believe Italy will be able to live with the pace of England for a full 90 minutes. If England put in a performance like the last 2 matches for me there is only going to be one winner. Although a note of caution.... we are due up a cock up at the back passing ! hopefully if it happens it happens early in the game so we have enough time to come back from it 
  • Options
    With my England hat firmly on, I would say that I believe Italy will suit England far more than Spain would have. I don't think England do that well without the ball, you can feel pressure building when it goes on for too long. Spain would have tested us in that respect far more than Italy can.

The next thing that favours us is what is perceived is a strength of Italy, it's defence. They have great players and great competitors there, but I think if England can utilise their pace, they will really trouble them. 

If I put my Italian hat, not so firmly on, Italy are great at adapting. In midfield they have more flair, even without Spinazola. I think Southgate doesn't trust our midfield ability to dominate so we prioritise spoiling. This will be important as if we nullify Italy's midfield we are a long way towards winning it.

I just see the pace England have and it is hard to look beyond us. 
  • Options
    _MrDick said:

Turnip, Carrot, Lime?

:D 
  • Options
    I’ve been pretty disappointed in Immobile since the opening couple of games. I find him far too greedy and he’s becoming more desperate as the others around him are getting better. The danger is Chiesa and Insigne being allowed to come inside and shoot. Potentially why we may go 3 at the back.
  • Options
    I feel the loss of Spinnazzola has affected Inzaghi's game negatively. It has probably lost Italy about 20% from the midfield. Personally, I would try to get Locatelli's energy in there if I was Mancini. I think we can keep a lid on it though and if we can we will win.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’ve been pretty disappointed in Immobile since the opening couple of games. I find him far too greedy and he’s becoming more desperate as the others around him are getting better. The danger is Chiesa and Insigne being allowed to come inside and shoot. Potentially why we may go 3 at the back.
    Should never have been dropped for Wales, he was on a roll and now just desperate for a goal.

He wasnt great Tuesday but Italy lost their shape when he went off IMO
  • Options
    I would say, think about your team mates and play for them and don't allow emotion to take over too much.
  • Options

Southgate should say that anyone who lets either of them cut in onto their right foot will not play in the world cup.

No need for it - show them the left touchline only

• Options
    shine166 said:

Stuart Pearce’s message to England players ahead of Sunday’s European cup final…

“What does England mean to me? I was born in Shepherd’s Bush, London. I worked as an electrician while playing non-league football for Wealdstone. Eventually I signed for Coventry City, then for Nottingham Forest. The best was yet to come…

“On May 19, 1987, I was called up to play for my country. It was the greatest honour of my life. I’ll never forget the feeling each time I was able to pull on my national shirt, to be one of the best 11 players in your nation felt incredible.

“Singing your national anthem, with 100,000 patriots singing alongside you at Wembley, it makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. Nothing comes close.

“So, what does England mean to me? It’s Cornwall, it’s the Lake District, the New Forest, Stonehenge, Buckingham Palace.

"It’s a Cornish pasty, fish and chips, clotted cream and scones, pie and mash. It’s The Who, The Stranglers, Oasis. It’s the bridges of Brunel, the sonnets of Shakespeare, Her Majesty the Queen.

“It’s a Bristolian, a Brummie, a Scouser, a Geordie, a Cockney and a good old fashioned cup of tea. More than anything, it’s home. This country, this England, my England.

“If anyone knows that as well as I do it’s Gareth Southgate and these players. Do us proud, lads. Think about what your country means to you. Do it for yourselves, do it for us, do it for England.” 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

No mention of The Lurkers?
  • Options
    Whoever wins, they will deserve it because these are the best two teams - that doesn't happen in every tournament.

Let's hope that Kane is that gets to lift that trophy!
  • Options
    'We will never again allow England an advantage despite us choosing Wembley for so much of the tournament due to England's exceptional footballing infrastructure'.
  • Options
    arny23394 said:
    I feel the loss of Spinnazzola has affected Inzaghi's game negatively. It has probably lost Italy about 20% from the midfield. Personally, I would try to get Locatelli's energy in there if I was Mancini. I think we can keep a lid on it though and if we can we will win.
    Insigne, Inzaghi retired 10 years ago. And you call yourself Italian 😉
    I am only half Italian but I did mean Insigne. These Italian names all sound the same to me!