Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Euro 2020 Thread

Comments

• Options
    The Football Association has been fined 30,000 euros (£26,600) for the behaviour of England fans - including a laser pointer being shone on Kasper Schmeichel's face - during the Euro 2020 semi-final win over Denmark.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57788267
  • Options
    You do have to smile at the continual anti-English rhetoric plastered all over social media platforms, that was any other country I’m sure would be pointed out as xenophobic. Apparently we’ve dived, cheated and booed our way into a final where the alternative is a country who’s FA are notoriously rife with controversy and whose domestic clubs are partial to racism and homophobia on a weekly basis. Your main TV Channel tells Lukaku he should eat 10 bananas but I’m a Gammon for pointing it out. the hypocrisy isn’t wasted on these people. 
    I always knew we were disliked, but nowhere near the level we’re seeing at the moment. It’s next level.

There are people all around Europe who are seemingly dedicating their week to just try and hammer England on every social media post they can find. I really don’t understand it.

As I said before, if we win - we have to ensure we are absolutely insufferable about it. I don’t care what others say about it. We need to dine on it for a long, long time.
  • Options
    Well I for one am astounded that our "friends" in the international community are turning against us. Who would of thought that even our near neighbours and "allies" would be saying such egregious and hurtful things because we have made a major football final?

Shocking.  I refer you again to a direct quote from Grandpa, god bless him, "FACK EM!"
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    cafctom said:
    You do have to smile at the continual anti-English rhetoric plastered all over social media platforms, that was any other country I’m sure would be pointed out as xenophobic. Apparently we’ve dived, cheated and booed our way into a final where the alternative is a country who’s FA are notoriously rife with controversy and whose domestic clubs are partial to racism and homophobia on a weekly basis. Your main TV Channel tells Lukaku he should eat 10 bananas but I’m a Gammon for pointing it out. the hypocrisy isn’t wasted on these people. 
    I always knew we were disliked, but nowhere near the level we’re seeing at the moment. It’s next level.

There are people all around Europe who are seemingly dedicating their week to just try and hammer England on every social media post they can find. I really don’t understand it.

As I said before, if we win - we have to ensure we are absolutely insufferable about it. I don’t care what others say about it. We need to dine on it for a long, long time.
    As has been said before we are the Millwall of Europe.

No one likes us, hooligans of most other clubs countries want to fight us on away trips, and we have a small minority of fans who cause trouble that the press love to jump on and tarnish all fans as being the same.
  • Options
    Euro 2020: Jewels remain... Get Grealish... England fan-speak explained https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57761278
  • Options
    cafctom said:

It amazes me how many of our own are so filled with hatred towards their own country. I understand the world hating us, it'll be jealousy, but what's with all the anti English stuff from within?
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    cafctom said:

It amazes me how many of our own are so filled with hatred towards their own country. I understand the world hating us, it'll be jealousy, but what's with all the anti English stuff from within?
    It's an underlying issue with this country, a cancer.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Or it's just that social media attracts a particular sort of weirdo
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    whatever the outcome today, this has been a very good tournament especially considering the pandemic .. very well done and congratulations to all concerned, players, backroom staff, EUFA and broadcasters
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    I think this has been up there with the most enjoyable but of course I may be biased given that England have made the final . I was one and a half when we last did that so can't remember it. there have been a few excellent games though.

A big memory was getting Spain v Croatia and France v Switzerland on the same day. Many probably said after the Spain game that it would take some beating and the next game went and beat it.  
  • Options
    I think this has been up there with the most enjoyable but of course I may be biased given that England have made the final . I was one and a half when we last did that so can't remember it. there have been a few excellent games though.

A big memory was getting Spain v Croatia and France v Switzerland on the same day. Many probably said after the Spain game that it would take some beating and the next game went and beat it.  
    That evening & the Group F final games were so good.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    What is interesting is our winning penalty. You can have an argument whether it should have been or not, but it is the sort of thing we get laughed at when we complain for experiencing similar or worse. It is what happens in football for you and against you and we are well in credit in terms of deserving it to go our way.
  • Options

It doesn't surprise me; remember the famous Orwell quote:

“In intention, at any rate, the English intelligentsia are Europeanized. 
They take their cookery from Paris and their opinions from Moscow. In the 
general patriotism of the country they form a sort of island of dissident 
thought. England is perhaps the only great country whose intellectuals 
are ashamed of their own nationality. In left-wing circles it is always 
felt that there is something slightly disgraceful in being an Englishman 
and that it is a duty to snigger at every English institution, from horse 
racing to suet puddings. It is a strange fact, but it is unquestionably 
true that almost any English intellectual would feel more ashamed of 
standing to attention during ‘God save the King’ than of stealing from a 
poor box. All through the critical years many left-wingers were chipping 
away at English morale, trying to spread an outlook that was sometimes 
squashily pacifist, sometimes violently pro-Russian, but always 
anti-British.”

The Guardian, Anglophobia HQ, has been running numerous articles this week attempting to politicise the team's achievements, leaving them open for comments (which they are typically averse to doing on other subjects) so that those who espouse a 'kinder, gentler politics' can vent their hatred at their own country's team and dismiss them as diving cheats etc. and unworthy of on pitch success.  Of course, being THE place to vent hatred at the English, it also serves as a place for those of other UK nations to froth at the mouth about us, but is tellingly also populated by those who are English but wish to virtuously advertise their support for our non-diving, non-cheating opponents (/sarc) due to their disgust with the 'flag shagging' plebs that support England.

What is remarkable is that they also went out of their way to try and find examples of England fans behaving badly so that they can trumpet them as a reason why horrible English people do not deserve to have a winning team - desperately looking for negative publicity against English football fans to stoke up bad feeling against the team.  Truly, above and beyond the call of duty.  It is hilarious to see those who clearly know nothing about the game now seeking to educate us about it, whilst insisting that our fans are uniquely awful and the supporters of all other nations are peaceful and cuddly and never misbehave in any way whatsoever.

What is fascinating is the argument that all English fans are horrible, violent, racist oiks based on the actions of a moronic minority (which we all know exist and could do without).  Apparently, we really are all that tosser who shined a laser at Schmeichel's eyes. Generalisations about any other ethnicity on the basis of individual actions would be derided as bigoted and racist, but there is always an exception for the English; maybe this is what they mean when the moan about 'English exceptionalism'!

So what far right wing rag did you rip that load of nonsense from.
  • Options

It doesn't surprise me; remember the famous Orwell quote:

“In intention, at any rate, the English intelligentsia are Europeanized. 
They take their cookery from Paris and their opinions from Moscow. In the 
general patriotism of the country they form a sort of island of dissident 
thought. England is perhaps the only great country whose intellectuals 
felt that there is something slightly disgraceful in being an Englishman 
and that it is a duty to snigger at every English institution, from horse 
racing to suet puddings. It is a strange fact, but it is unquestionably 
true that almost any English intellectual would feel more ashamed of 
standing to attention during ‘God save the King’ than of stealing from a 
poor box. All through the critical years many left-wingers were chipping 
away at English morale, trying to spread an outlook that was sometimes 
squashily pacifist, sometimes violently pro-Russian, but always 
anti-British.”

The Guardian, Anglophobia HQ, has been running numerous articles this week attempting to politicise the team's achievements, leaving them open for comments (which they are typically averse to doing on other subjects) so that those who espouse a 'kinder, gentler politics' can vent their hatred at their own country's team and dismiss them as diving cheats etc. and unworthy of on pitch success.  Of course, being THE place to vent hatred at the English, it also serves as a place for those of other UK nations to froth at the mouth about us, but is tellingly also populated by those who are English but wish to virtuously advertise their support for our non-diving, non-cheating opponents (/sarc) due to their disgust with the 'flag shagging' plebs that support England.

What is remarkable is that they also went out of their way to try and find examples of England fans behaving badly so that they can trumpet them as a reason why horrible English people do not deserve to have a winning team - desperately looking for negative publicity against English football fans to stoke up bad feeling against the team.  Truly, above and beyond the call of duty.  It is hilarious to see those who clearly know nothing about the game now seeking to educate us about it, whilst insisting that our fans are uniquely awful and the supporters of all other nations are peaceful and cuddly and never misbehave in any way whatsoever.

What is fascinating is the argument that all English fans are horrible, violent, racist oiks based on the actions of a moronic minority (which we all know exist and could do without).  Apparently, we really are all that tosser who shined a laser at Schmeichel's eyes. Generalisations about any other ethnicity on the basis of individual actions would be derided as bigoted and racist, but there is always an exception for the English; maybe this is what they mean when the moan about 'English exceptionalism'!

So what far right wing rag did you rip that load of nonsense from.
    Behave!! if you can't be a little nationalistic today then there's something horribly wrong!
  • Options
    I just had to run an errand in the car and listened to Talk Sport, some Mackem claimed that his dad played for The Black Cats and was the leagues first ever substitute.

Absolute dick should know his facts if it was his dad, and no it wasn't Gavin Peacock. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What is interesting is our winning penalty. You can have an argument whether it should have been or not, but it is the sort of thing we get laughed at when we complain for experiencing similar or worse. It is what happens in football for you and against you and we are well in credit in terms of deserving it to go our way.
    Oh dont worry, you just know that if an England players breathes too near an Italian tonight when they score; the rest of Europe will implode, whinging about how we've won it unfairly, how there will be some asterisk against our win (dunno how) or whatever.

Its one of the bits I'm most looking forward to if we do win
  • Options

Well, apart from the Orwell quote, it was something that I wrote myself.

I know that true believers such as yourself may be incapable of thinking for themselves and may need a crib sheet, but I am from a generation that was taught critical thinking at university, based upon facts and evidence, rather than just to parrot what everyone else says, or in your case, the 'correct' belief.

Go and look for yourself, the Guardian website is not behind a paywall; you'll see that I'm right:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jul/11/this-england-team-arent-playing-for-the-tories-version-of-the-country

Look at the comments below - pure double standards and bigotry.  Knock yourself out.  The division is caused by the Guardian and their readers - probably folk as woke as yourself who consider themselves morally and intellectually superior and thus, infallible.  So, the left try to divide people and you blame the right.  Plus ca change.

But it is so much easier just to latch onto a straw man of your own choice (did I say that all left wingers are unpatriotic? did I fuck; I know many who are very much so) dismiss the 'wrong' opinions rather than fashion any kind of logical counter argument, if you are indeed capable of it.

If England do win, the wailing and gnashing of teeth from parts of the left will be truly delicious.
  • Options
    “Small number of people” more like hundreds of them 
  • Options
    Still a small number considering how many are there with tickets 
  • Options
    Still a small number considering how many are there with tickets 
    100% but the statement saying they are looking for them so they can be ejected is laughable. Better off saying nothing 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    "England is perhaps the only great country whose intellectuals 
felt that there is something slightly disgraceful in being an Englishman..."
    They ain't got nothing on the intellectual college left in America.
  • Options
    Least the press can focus on those breaking into Wembley rather than trying to add a "BUT" into the victory
  • Options
    Least the press can focus on those breaking into Wembley rather than trying to add a "BUT" into the victory
    15 people break into a big game and everyone goes crazy in England
    15 people get shot to death in the USA and it's page 4 in our papers