Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Shocking (Kate Hoax Call)

Comments

• Options
    Greenie said:

J BLOCK said:

Hope those Aussie presenters are hung drawn and quartered

Behave, we all laughed at the time.
    How is that funny in the slightest? Weird sense of humour
  • Options
    According to R4,the poor woman in question answered the phone because the receptionist was unavailable. The hospital had no intention of sacking her or taking any disciplinary action.

Whether the Australians were responsible for her death is a moot point. Had they not made the call there is every likelihood the woman would still be alive, but who knows? Not me.

Australians are hardly known for their subtlety or sensitivity.
  • Options
    Aussies, 20 years behind as always. Spoof phone calls on radio shows is very 1990's. Another reason why they stuck the place right down out of the way where nothing happens...
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:

Greenie said:

J BLOCK said:

Really? Have you listened to it? Its funny cos it was such an appalling accent, and it was funny because they got through, that what made it funny. This is what the majority of people found amusing/funny. If you are in the minority, fine!
    Its sad that the receptionist killed herself but that's not the Radio presenters fault.
  • Options
    Did any of you, when you heard about the hoax originally think to yourselves "I hope they put the nurse on suicide watch over this".

If not, you've no basis for blaming the Aussie presenters for not showing any more foresight than you.

• Options
    I wonder if any here either condemning the Aussies or saying it wasn't funny thought throwing a seat at Millwall last Saturday was all a jolly good laugh? That incident was open to cause more harm than the prank phone call and yet a great number thought it was ok. Wonder if they would have thought that if it had hit and killed someone. All actions have a consequence but in no way could those presenters have imagined their action would have this consequence.

Blimey, I'm surprised shows like Beadles About ever got off the ground.

• Options
    Greenie said:

J BLOCK said:

Greenie said:

J BLOCK said:

Really? Have you listened to it? Its funny cos it was such an appalling accent, and it was funny because they got through, that what made it funny. This is what the majority of people found amusing/funny. If you are in the minority, fine!
    Its sad that the receptionist killed herself but that's not the Radio presenters fault.
    In this country its also massively illegal.
  • Options
    As soon as i heard the headlines, I just thought someone would lose their job over that.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

J BLOCK said:

Greenie said:

J BLOCK said:

If you openly laughed at some Aussie putting on a fake accent then you've got to be in the minority not me.
  • Options
    in this country we'd jail such a hoax caller for five years but let off a drink-driver who mowed down and killed a few people with community service and a slap on the wrist. I know which I consider a scumbag.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It seems that the Nurse Saldanha, who died, answered the phone as there wasn't a receptionist on duty. Nurses are employed to nurse and you would expect a famous private hospital would be able to afford 24 hour receptionist cover and not rely on a nurse to answer outside calls for which I doubt they are trained to sort genuine from hoax calls. Did the nurse get support from the hospital management after the error, I bet not.

Another case of hospital management cutting corners and expecting the nurses to work beyond their duties without proper support.

Don't blame the Aussies, blame the hospital management.
  • Options
    I know a few trainee nurses, along with being incredibly caring people they take a lot of responsibility on themselves as a result. It's a very high stress and thankless job with nowhere near enough pay to match it. This may well have driven her over the edge, incredibly sad news.
  • Options
    the whole thing was sick anyway, Kate was in hosiptal in the early stages of a pregnancy, nothing is certain at this stage, my wife mis-carried after we had our first daughter, if something had happened to Kate whilst in Hosiptal would people still have laughed it was a shit prank from start to finish.
  • Options

I wonder if any here either condemning the Aussies or saying it wasn't funny thought throwing a seat at Millwall last Saturday was all a jolly good laugh? That incident was open to cause more harm than the prank phone call and yet a great number thought it was ok. Wonder if they would have thought that if it had hit and killed someone. All actions have a consequence but in no way could those presenters have imagined their action would have this consequence.

Give it a rest
  • Options
    Terribly sad news. RIP
  • Options
    Come on Large.
  • Options
    Bang on steve

We lost a baby at early stages also although it was after the 12 weeks

the girl should have been left to get well and feel that atleast in the hospital she was able to relax

This girl has to live with the fact her husbands mum was hounded to her death by scumbag paps

And that this will be her life and that of her unborn child

Atleast let her get well
  • Options
    Did not really find it funny but don't see how you can blame the Aussies, they had no idea she would do that, this was not a personal attack on some poor woman just a prank gone wrong and not thought out.

They will have to live with it anyway for the rest of there lives.
  • Options
    Large in Beadles about they were pranks and if they were carried out at work your employer would be in on it. This was bound to get someone in trouble.
  • Options

It seems that the Nurse Saldanha, who died, answered the phone as there wasn't a receptionist on duty. Nurses are employed to nurse and you would expect a famous private hospital would be able to afford 24 hour receptionist cover and not rely on a nurse to answer outside calls for which I doubt they are trained to sort genuine from hoax calls. Did the nurse get support from the hospital management after the error, I bet not.

Another case of hospital management cutting corners and expecting the nurses to work beyond their duties without proper support.

What a load of old bollocks. It's always 'managements fault' is the usual cry of the shop floor bully. Just typical of you Lincs, to make assumption after assumption without knowing any of the facts.

What if the receptionist was in the loo when the call came in?

If the Aussie's hadn't made such a pathetic prank call to a sick young woman in her early pregnancy we wouldn't be having this discussion.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Nobody thought throwing a chair was ok.
  • Options
    You did
  • Options

the whole thing was sick anyway, Kate was in hosiptal in the early stages of a pregnancy, nothing is certain at this stage, my wife mis-carried after we had our first daughter, if something had happened to Kate whilst in Hosiptal would people still have laughed it was a shit prank from start to finish.

Absolutely Steve.

Was never ever gonna be funny and a sick prank from the beginning.
  • Options
    I dont blame them i dont think it was responsible for this tragedy simply it added to a situation that must have already been there
  • Options
    Addickted said:

What a load of old bollocks. It's always 'managements fault' is the usual cry of the shop floor bully. Just typical of you Lincs, to make assumption after assumption without knowing any of the facts.

What if the receptionist was in the loo when the call came in?

If the Aussie's hadn't made such a pathetic prank call to a sick young woman in her early pregnancy we wouldn't be having this discussion.

for a start Addickted get my name right, I'm not Lincs.
    for a second get your facts right the BBC report states:
    Mrs Saldanha, a duty nurse, answered the telephone because it was 05:30 GMT in the morning and there was no receptionist on duty."
    So Addickted who is making the assumptions - you I think so get YOUR facts right before you sound off.
  • Options

I dont blame them i dont think it was responsible for this tragedy simply it added to a situation that must have already been there

we'd like to think so, but i dont think that is the case here.
  • Options
    How anybody can defend those pathetic Australian radio presenters is beyond me. Their actions have led to somebody taking their own life! I hope that they are fired & I hope that they live with the consequences for the rest of their miserable lives.
  • Options
    Well they are certainly taking a lot of abuse, both presenters twitter accounts taken down along with the website of the radio station.
  • Options
    not that anyone will ever know but the nurse who took her own life must have been in a very dark place before the phone call prank tipped her over the edge
  • Options
    A crass prank but I don't think any reasonable person could have foreseen this consequence (unlike chairs and incendiary devices where the potential dangers are obvious to those with more brain cells than a plant).

I hope the high paid hospital management in their ivory tower have a clear conscience in terms of their subsequent treatment of the nurse who answered the phone.