Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Shocking (Kate Hoax Call)

123457»

Comments

• Options

I still don't understand why such a prestigious hospital with a high profile royal in their care did not have an experienced receptionist on duty to field phone and other enquiries but left it to a nurse who was on duty as a nurse.

agree to a point. I don't see why, with the media scrum outside, they could not have had a receptionist there 24hrs until Kate was discharged. However, this call did come at 5.30am and the nurse just happened to answer it. She then put it through to the ward so was not the nurse who disclosed information even.

• Options
    Rizzo said:

Stig said:

This whole story is very sad. I'm not sure why all the recriminations to be honest though. It's an awful situation, but no-one could reasonably have foreseen that. To all those who have got it in for the DJs who made the call, just have a think about when you first heard the news story. Did anyone at the time think, what a stupid thing to do they could kill someone with a prank like that? Of course not, no-one could reasonably be expected to predict that such a thing could happen. It's only a couple of months ago that there was a pranks thread here on Charlton Life. I wonder if any of the people who wrote on that stopped to think what the most outrageous consequences of their japes could be. Frankly, I hope they didn't - if everyone regulated their behaviour to avoid any risk no matter how minimal the chances of it occurring, no-one would ever do anything.

My sympathies are with the friends and family of the lady who died, they must be going through hell at the moment. As for the DJs, I can't help but think that their suffering will be tremendous. Everyday there a millions of practical jokes played on people; it's all part of the fun of life. Just because one goes tragically wrong is no reason to start a witch hunt, especially as at the moment it is unknown what factors caused the poor lady's death. As a few others have said, I'd be very surprised if there weren't deeper underlying factors.

Sums up my feelings on the matter. I absolutely guarantee that nobody, upon hearing that prank call, thought "This could cost someone their life". Anyone pretending otherwise is enjoying the benefits of 20/20 hindsight.

I have to say with all honesty that I was thinking that somebody at that hospital was going to lose their job over it, probably the nurse as she was giving out sensitive information. That is quite a serious matter whether a prank or not. There should have been a protocol in place in the first place, i.e. coded calls.
  • Options
    Not sure if this is inappropriate but having just been on the news, I couldn't help noticing:

imageimage
  • Options

Not sure if this is inappropriate but having just been on the news, I couldn't help noticing:

imageimage

Superb! I have been looking at the DJ in this story and thinking I am sure he reminds me of someone.....
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    I cried when I heard this news because I made a parralel with my own sad existence. I live with someone that expects me to be perfect 24/7 and I do this to my best ability. I dont so much live, just exist day to day. I am not depressed, and could never be, but I am living on the edge. My point is that if I had this pressure in a work related situation, and made a mistake...I wouldnt be able to face the world, as failure to please is my greatest fear. I'm not saying this poor woman had my fears, but it is possible.
  • Options
    The nurse who committed suicide after answering a hoax phone call about the Duchess of Cambridge made two attempts to kill herself last winter and had been prescribed antidepressants.

Jacintha Saldanha, who took her own life days after the call from Australian DJs pretending to be the Queen and Prince Charles, attempted to commit suicide last December with an overdose of pills during a family visit to India.

She survived after being rushed to hospital but tried to commit suicide again just nine days later by apparently jumping from a building.

Ms Saldanha, 46, spent several days in intensive care before receiving psychiatric treatment and being prescribed a course of powerful antidepressants for nine months.

Along with the previous suicide attempts, reported in an Indian newspaper, members of Ms Saldanha’s family have revealed that the nurse was so ashamed after taking the hoax call earlier this month that she did not tell her husband or children about it before her death, despite speaking to them by phone several times.

Ms Saldanha was found hanged with a scarf at her living quarters at the King Edward VII’s Hospital in Central London on December 7.

Three days earlier, Ms Saldanha was the duty nurse who answered the prank call from Mel Greig and Michael Christian, and transferred it to a colleague.

That nurse revealed confidential medical information about the pregnant Duchess, who was being treated at the hospital for acute morning sickness. The call was broadcast in Australia and made headlines around the world.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2252290/Jacintha-Sadanha-Nurse-answered-hoax-Duchess-Cambridge-attempted-kill-before.html#ixzz2FtPtBpu4
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
  • Options
    A tragedy that the call was taken by a caring, family woman who seems to have been in a very fragile mental state.