Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Covered End----Memories

Comments

• after the pic losted yesterday a bump for this thread

What pic where ? cheers
  • just basically re-read this thread from start to finish, great read
  • That is probably one of the best pictures I have seen on CL. Defines a time perfectly.
  • stonemuse said:

Lots of Covered Enders (Middle Park and Cherry Orchard) in the below pics from the Tunisia tour

A bit off topic, but do you have any spare programmes from the tour?
  • Always will be the covered end
  • I bought this today and jogged a few memories. The smell of beer, fags and fear.
  • I bought this today and jogged a few memories. The smell of beer, fags and fear.
    Was Phil Walker playing for Millwall ?
  • Knees up Mother Brown was brilliant. Everyone bounced down a step at a time as we kept singing, poor sods at the front must have have been squashed as hell! 
    I was in the covered end for this match. 
    Proud to say I stayed the distance. 
    Still got the scars to prove it. 

• Sponsored links:

• One of our few victories 3-2.
  • One of our few victories 3-2.
    Is that lives or goals?
  • Tiny was a prick.
    Had a few run ins with him and saw him get flattened by Charlton a couple of times. 
    Fuckin bully boy 
  • Late 70s, early 80s was a bad time between us an millwall. Fights were anywhere, anytime. Friday night/Saturday any pub or football 'do' was a good chance of bumping into each other. We knew them, they knew us.
    When we filled the Thomas 'a' beckett one Saturday night they didn't show BUT they did come to the Man of Kent. Not a good time imo.
  • Late 70s, early 80s was a bad time between us an millwall. Fights were anywhere, anytime. Friday night/Saturday any pub or football 'do' was a good chance of bumping into each other. We knew them, they knew us.
    When we filled the Thomas 'a' beckett one Saturday night they didn't show BUT they did come to the Man of Kent. Not a good time imo.
    Great Times. 
    I bet you wouldn't swap em.
    Great Times. 
    True but I was going out with a girl from Lewisham at the time and twice got recognised in pubs,  got a hiding once and just taken the piss out of the  other. Very humiliating.
    Great Times. 
    True but I was going out with a girl from Lewisham at the time and twice got recognised in pubs,  got a hiding once and just taken the piss out of the  other. Very humiliating.
    I married a bermondsy girl. 
    30 years later we are still together. 
    But this is the thing. 
    Both my kids and all four  grandkids are Charlton. 
    Fuck millwall. 
    Mrs H is originally from Rotherhithe so in the same boat, always have some friendly banter with her mates brothers etc.
  • Sponsored links:

• My endearing memory of the covered end is the 2-0 home defeat in an fa cup game to Arsenal,My dad insisted I got there(with my fish and chips) at 11.30 as soon as the gates opened and make sure I stood in front of a crush barrier as the crowd would be pretty dense.The crowd was I think around 72000(Officially).A few weeks later Arsenal came again for Sams last game in front of a smaller crowd around 45000 this game we won.Was also in this end for the 7-6,so being a bit small had to rely a lot on the cheers from the south terrace as the goals went in.
  • Makes me somewhat jealous that I could never experience everything! I've had a read through of this thread and it's no where near the same
  • I saw the title and thought this was an “RIP” thread.
  • Makes me somewhat jealous that I could never experience everything! I've had a read through of this thread and it's no where near the same
    It’s nothing remotely like it Jacob, so different you’d scarcely believe it mate .

• edited July 2019
    Too bloody scary for me, and that from our own fans. I moved to stand underneath the floodlight to the right.
  • Thing is it wasnt just about the hoolie stuff.

The Sunday we returned to the Valley to clear it. It was raining and i thought no one would bother.I drove over and when i walked in hundreds if not a couple of thousand were there. Stunned i watched on my own and then walked round the back of the Covered End and up one of the entrance stair ways to where we all use to stand. There already were 3 mates sitting there.No one arranged it and none of use knew the others would be there.We sat and watched in silence ,hugely emotional ----then naffed off to the RO as you do/did.

There are places that are pivotal to your life in many ways and The Valley ---The Covered End is for me.

Roland---Daisey----Burger Boy  you can never understand.

Great words 
  • stonemuse said:
    Thing is it wasnt just about the hoolie stuff.

The Sunday we returned to the Valley to clear it. It was raining and i thought no one would bother.I drove over and when i walked in hundreds if not a couple of thousand were there. Stunned i watched on my own and then walked round the back of the Covered End and up one of the entrance stair ways to where we all use to stand. There already were 3 mates sitting there.No one arranged it and none of use knew the others would be there.We sat and watched in silence ,hugely emotional ----then naffed off to the RO as you do/did.

There are places that are pivotal to your life in many ways and The Valley ---The Covered End is for me.

Great words 
    Agreed.
  • Thing is it wasnt just about the hoolie stuff.

I don't think any of us from that era could have put it any better than that.It seems like a lifetime ago.There were certainly some great times and many friendships formed - there was also a few shirt moments as well but they just add to the time we lived in.Charlton till I die
  • Typo error - few beers -holiday mode - hairy moments  but still Great days