Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Covered End----Memories

Comments

• I remember the copper that used to go to away games and loaded with the home teams old bill. He jumped over 3 rows of seats at Grimsby when he thought someone was taking his photo. Think the poor bloke was shy. He looked like Boycie from only fools n horses
  • I remember the copper that used to go to away games and liased with the home teams old bill. He jumped over 3 rows of seats at Grimsby when he thought someone was taking his photo. Think the poor bloke was shy. He looked like Boycie from only fools n horses
  • I remember the copper that used to go to away games and liased with the home teams old bill. He jumped over 3 rows of seats at Grimsby when he thought someone was taking his photo. Think the poor bloke was shy. He looked like Boycie from only fools n horses

Stop stuttering man...no need to be nervous 'cos we all love you.

• Sorry bout repeats,was using my phone to post and it was not working properly.
  • Sorry bout repeats,was using my phone to post and it was not working properly.

You can say that again? ;o)
  • Greenie said:

Sorry bout repeats,was using my phone to post and it was not working properly.

You can say that again? ;o)
    And again !
  • Anyone remember that copper that used to go to away games and lias with the home teams old bill?

; )
  • Micky Rogers? Passed away not so long ago.
  • Micky Rogers? Passed away not so long ago.

Did he? Didn't know that!
  • Sponsored links:

• I remember PC Rogers. Used to pop his head in at the H&G from time to time if I'm correct.
  • Remember PC Rogers well, shame he passed away. He wasn`t that old either!
  • Days of my youth. Didnt we buy the stand second hand off Aldershot or did i dream that? Here's a few memories...
    The rain; in would come the east terrace and we would sing 'you'll never take the Covered End.
    Everyone in unison singing Graham Tutt / Jeffery Wood at the start
    Keith Peacock at the start doing keepy up down the pitch and firing in
    Singing 'you're gonna get your fkn head kicked in' whenever the oppo scored
    Shouting out over here mate then looking away form the peanut seller
    Ship, ship Shoipperey when we had a corner
    and (not so proud) Peter Shaw is a wnker
  • good few old Covered Enders at the Capos funeral yesterday
    Few of the old Eltham peeps.
    Bubbles
    tom the Head
    Jenkins
    two of the Fullers

and Bmob faces
    plus a few of what us oldies would call the yoof.

shame its only at a funeral
  • good few old Covered Enders at the Capos funeral yesterday
    Few of the old Eltham peeps.
    Bubbles
    tom the Head
    Jenkins
    two of the Fullers

and Bmob faces
    plus a few of what us oldies would call the yoof.

shame its only at a funeral

It was a rogues gallery mate.

• Davo55 said:

Davo55 said:

Love this thread.

I share many of the memories but most of all how the CE seemed to be ram full, all standing. all singing, loads of scarves above heads doing "You'll never walk alone", cascading down the terracing when a goal was scored, "Knees up mother Brown". Remember in particular one game in the late 60s against Norwich - we were 0-3 down at half time and fought back to 3-3. I was nearly deafened by the roars, and lost my voice for about 3 days after. Not such a great fan of the times our end was "taken" but usually won it back - me generally being behind my big brother who was (and still is) a bit tasty :-)

Sure that was a boxing day, 67/68? Harry Gregory scored the equaliser I think, why else would he run to the touchline & shake hands with old bill (true)
    Sounds about right Bob. Great game.

Remember Harry Gregory punching the ball in the net against rotherham and running away celebrating a goal only two people who never saw the punch the Ref and Lino .............goal given --great days and standing under the clock .........

• Billy Martin is alive and well and still attending every home game. He aint missed one since 1967. Sits in east stand and now sports a bandanna. Nephew is Dave Martin now of Sarfend formerly of Derby and that mob from E14.
  • As I'm one of those named early in this thread, lets put some meat on the 'bone'. there was always a tight group of us, who not only stood on the covered end, but also used to go to away games together and had some 'fun'!

I had a Bass drum, purchased from a WD store near the Woolich Ferry. It got kicked in, when we marched to QPR and took the 'Loft'. Some of us used to wear old Red guards jackets- a touch of Sargent Peppers lonely hearts! Also ex-War Department.
    In the late sixties, I used to organise coaches to away games, just for us. Often, we would leave Friday nights, having met in the Antigaligan before hand. We called the coach 'The rent a riot'.
    Our group was a collection of solid lads from Abbey Wood, Blackheath, Bermondsey, Welling and Charlton etc. Many of us played for the same Sunday League team.
    As such on the 24th February 1968, we played Middlesbrough supporters in a friendly on their training ground- got stuffed 5-2. We hope to organise a re-union with them this year. All being well.

Thankfully, I still see many of the lads, all be, we are now the wrong side of sixty. We have lost a few to the Covered end above! Especially, Chris Slattery. One of the best! We still laugh at what we got up to.
    One last thought; My favourite Copper was the 'Igor'-he loved dragging us out of the ground and putting a boot up our arses, as he shoved over the turnstiles, the wrong way. Massive bloke!

• edited January 2013

As I'm one of those named early in this thread, lets put some meat on the 'bone'. there was always a tight group of us, who not only stood on the covered end, but also used to go to away games together and had some 'fun'!

I had a Bass drum, purchased from a WD store near the Woolich Ferry. It got kicked in, when we marched to QPR and took the 'Loft'. Some of us used to wear old Red guards jackets- a touch of Sargent Peppers lonely hearts! Also ex-War Department.
    In the late sixties, I used to organise coaches to away games, just for us. Often, we would leave Friday nights, having met in the Antigaligan before hand. We called the coach 'The rent a riot'.
    Our group was a collection of solid lads from Abbey Wood, Blackheath, Bermondsey, Welling and Charlton etc. Many of us played for the same Sunday League team.
    As such on the 24th February 1968, we played Middlesbrough supporters in a friendly on their training ground- got stuffed 5-2. We hope to organise a re-union with them this year. All being well.

Thankfully, I still see many of the lads, all be, we are now the wrong side of sixty. We have lost a few to the Covered end above! Especially, Chris Slattery. One of the best! We still laugh at what we got up to.
    One last thought; My favourite Copper was the 'Igor'-he loved dragging us out of the ground and putting a boot up our arses, as he shoved over the turnstiles, the wrong way. Massive bloke!

Remember the game well...Bomber was a lino but didnt know that youre not supposed to run the whole length of the pitch...two lino's giving decisions was hysterical. Paul Green (proper goalie) was replaced second half by Chrissy Barber who was very brave but a shit goalie. Highlight of the trip was Johnny Ball falling off his stool backwards after one pint of Newcastle Brown. Havnt a clue who you are by the way, but we were good mates as every one of us were on the RAR..
  • RobRob
    edited January 2013

Although it must have looked unorganised there was an unspoken strategy. The inner crew (around 50) would go in hard and then be backed up by the outer crew, and although they maybe never threw a punch in anger it was the fact that they were there, and that in turn spurred on the hard men.

That's how I remember it as well although I didn't realise the strategy at the time. All I know is that there was a hard bunch in the front and I was one of the lot at the back. Mind you in 68/69 when a lot of this was going down I was only 15 and a grammar school boy and all that :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• I was in the inner for entertainment value but relegated myself to outer as I was also a Hippie :)
  • you still are a hippy aren't you. :)
  • i remember someone reading the mag OZ after it had been banned going to an away game yonks back.

Hippies in the CE ????????????? no way--------------had long hair myself in the early days bit like Brian Connely of the group Sweet. The ladies loved it ,f++k knows what went wrong really !!
  • --------------had long hair myself in the early days bit like Brian Connely of the group Sweet. The ladies loved it ,f++k knows what went wrong really !!

You weren't alone GH - lots of long hair in the pics I posted on page 3
  • Rob said:

you still are a hippy aren't you. :)

Not ashamed to admit it either Rob :)

• edited January 2013

i remember someone reading the mag OZ after it had been banned going to an away game yonks back.

Hippies in the CE ????????????? no way--------------had long hair myself in the early days bit like Brian Connely of the group Sweet. The ladies loved it ,f++k knows what went wrong really !!

Brian Connely...hmm, maybe a little more like a member of the Kinks (winky thingy) and what went wrong is probably that we all went bald :)

• terrace memories already on here but worth a bump
  • edited September 2013

A few names I remember...best family I ever had. Eric Pearson, Hughie Barr, Alan (Bomber) Ragget, Chrissy Barber, Keith Salter, Kieth Giles, Fat Bob, Gary Spence, Alan (the good looking one) Ray Davis, Bob Brown, Chris Sandford, Soundas, Graham Ellis and two girls, one fat one thin lol. Loads more but my memory is not what it was.

Fantastic names - not that I knew any of them- when the Georges,Alfies, Arthurs and Harrys had been consigned to the scrapheap of The Empire.

Maybe we'll see a regeneration of the Alans, Colins and Keiths one day . . .

• Bump this again re whats been going on in the last 18 months and the last 18 hours.

Slater/TJ , RD etc are here to make a profit or raise their profile etc they dont want to know about us or what CAFC means to us.

This club belongs in its spirit to us all including my family and my life long friends some now sadly departed. The memories on this thread show some of this.
    To me the actions of these so called owners are an insult to my friends and family. A bit OTT ? well thats how i feel ------------ they are taking the piss and there isnt anything i can do about it.
    I will be there against Birmingham and i will recall the people places and laughs we had----------------fuck the owners they cant ever take that away.
  • edited January 2016
    Bump

saw TCEs comments yesterday and thought of this thread.

CUSTOMERS ? Do feck off puppet woman.

CAFC --The Valley its part of who i am and for a great many of us