Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Covered End----Memories

Comments

• Options
    Thing is it wasnt just about the hoolie stuff.

The Sunday we returned to the Valley to clear it. It was raining and i thought no one would bother.I drove over and when i walked in hundreds if not a couple of thousand were there. Stunned i watched on my own and then walked round the back of the Covered End and up one of the entrance stair ways to where we all use to stand. There already were 3 mates sitting there.No one arranged it and none of use knew the others would be there.We sat and watched in silence ,hugely emotional ----then naffed off to the RO as you do/did.

There are places that are pivotal to your life in many ways and The Valley ---The Covered End is for me.

Roland---Daisey----Burger Boy  you can never understand.

You've said all this on this thread years ago. I read it yesterday.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Sorry chief age and memory etc
  • Options
    Thing is it wasnt just about the hoolie stuff.

The Sunday we returned to the Valley to clear it. It was raining and i thought no one would bother.I drove over and when i walked in hundreds if not a couple of thousand were there. Stunned i watched on my own and then walked round the back of the Covered End and up one of the entrance stair ways to where we all use to stand. There already were 3 mates sitting there.No one arranged it and none of use knew the others would be there.We sat and watched in silence ,hugely emotional ----then naffed off to the RO as you do/did.

There are places that are pivotal to your life in many ways and The Valley ---The Covered End is for me.

Roland---Daisey----Burger Boy  you can never understand.

You've said all this on this thread years ago. I read it yesterday.
    Still good to read again though
  • Options
    My memory of watching  from the covered end Harry Gregory punching ball in net against Rotherham ... and celebrating and the ref running to centre spot pointing for the goal !!!!

priceless !!!! 
  • Options
    I can still smell the light ales in the bar underneath the covered end. 
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Solidgone said:
    The first time you were big enough to be served was definitely a rite of passage :)
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    The first time you were big enough to be served was definitely a rite of passage :)
    That brings to mind one of the great questions of the universe - whatever happened to light and bitter?
  • Options
    And lager and lime.
  • Options
    53 bus from Woolwich, The Valley Pub. 2 light and bitters , out again at 2, bag of chips and a sav from the chippy on church lane. Verbalise the opposition supporters, and when it kicked off hide behind the biggest bloke in a red and white scarf. 

Happy happy days.!!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Worthington’s E
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    That brings to mind one of the great questions of the universe - whatever happened to light and bitter?
    Alive and kicking in few select pubs. Including Royal Oak in Northumberland Heath, Courage best and a cold light ale. Perfect ! 
  • Options
    I am still wearing a black arm band for Long Life...
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    Worthington’s E
    I remember that fella...
    Things were easier then and happy days.

The Covered End!
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    Alive and kicking in few select pubs. Including Royal Oak in Northumberland Heath, Courage best and a cold light ale. Perfect ! 
    Remember going in the Royal Oak at lunchtimes during my last year at school at Avenue Road, take off the tie and blazer, sit in a huddle in the corner......there would be some of teachers at the other end of the pub, they would pretend not to notice us and vice versa. Happy days, not least because it was about 40p a pint then.
  • Options
    So many games and so many memories, the first game back at the valley is hard to beat. Taking my daughters for the 1st time, some of the Premiership games where little old charlton turned over supposedly greater opposition.
  • Options
    The only time I’ve ever got hit was at that Weds game at The Valley back in the 70’s
    They’d occupied the covered end early and we gradually arrived- anyway this Weds fan ran down hitting everyone on his way down hitting me with a glancing blow - after he hit me a Charlton fan grabbed him a hit his head on a barrier —and then chucked him to a policeman - that was an amazing day

I also remember standing behind Chris Slattery in the covered end against Millwall when he tried to fight off 3 or 4 of them and he got a right kicking - he was a brave(and a nice) guy!! 
    I also remember Hull away in the in the 70’s - it was a bit like that scene in Zulu ( or that’s what it felt like then ) with loads of them
    surrounding hardly any of us. I think it was Dave Waldron, Kevin Hopkins and Jim Jarrett who were the main ones - I remember losing my cheap watch , I think I threw it at a Hull fan 

Happy Days - well sort of !!! 

• Options
    A pint, a pie and a fight. A great British Saturday night out!
  • Options
    The only time I’ve ever got hit was at that Weds game at The Valley back in the 70’s
    They’d occupied the covered end early and we gradually arrived- anyway this Weds fan ran down hitting everyone on his way down hitting me with a glancing blow - after he hit me a Charlton fan grabbed him a hit his head on a barrier —and then chucked him to a policeman - that was an amazing day

I also remember standing behind Chris Slattery in the covered end against Millwall when he tried to fight off 3 or 4 of them and he got a right kicking - he was a brave(and a nice) guy!! 
    I also remember Hull away in the in the 70’s - it was a bit like that scene in Zulu ( or that’s what it felt like then ) with loads of them
    surrounding hardly any of us. I think it was Dave Waldron, Kevin Hopkins and Jim Jarrett who were the main ones - I remember losing my cheap watch , I think I threw it at a Hull fan 

Happy Days - well sort of !!! 

I think it was Jim Jarrett that was stabbed on the way back from Walsall at the service station...among others? He worn the white butchers coat?
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    he did loose teeth that day not sure about getying stabbed.

Jim took his own life a few years ago RIP
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I was on the same coach as Jim and pretty much all the rest of the Eltham / Weling charlton boys. I don't Remember anyone getting stabbed, but Bob, McGlone got smash on head with a brick , that the bloke was carrying in a plastic bag.  That was one wild day, our first game in the third tier, and what an introduction. 

• Options
    The Covered End is a fundamental part of my makeup and some of the big night games are my fondest memories of football.

The exhilaration of being young fit and gobby in a huge crowd of likeminded is intoxicating. In my minds eye i can still feel it smell it, the sounds and culture.  Will take it to my grave.
    Never been the same since it's been all seater.
  • Options

I was on the same coach as Jim and pretty much all the rest of the Eltham / Weling charlton boys. I don't Remember anyone getting stabbed, but Bob, McGlone got smash on head with a brick , that the bloke was carrying in a plastic bag.  That was one wild day, our first game in the third tier, and what an introduction. 

I might be mixing this up when there was a meeting with Coventry at the services. 
    Yes the First day kn the third tier was hectic!
  • Options
    Solidgone said:

I might be mixing this up when there was a meeting with Coventry at the services. 
    Definitely Coventry 
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    Solidgone said:

Definitely Coventry 
    Indeed it was Coventry and Jim was stabbed bad enough that it nearly killed him.
    When he recovered he never used to go to Charlton as much.
    Stopped going altogether years ago.
    He then sadly took his own life. 
    I went to his funeral and there was a good turnout of Charlton to pay there respects.
    RIP Jim.
  • Options
    As for the other 3 Charlton supporters mentioned earlier in this thread Kevin Hopkins now lives in Spain but comes over 3 or 4 times a year to watch Charlton. I was with him at Wembley. 
    Dave Waldren still comes occasionally. 
    Chris Slattery passed away a few years ago. 
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    Solidgone said:

Definitely Coventry 
    Indeed it was Coventry and Jim was stabbed bad enough that it nearly killed him.
    When he recovered he never used to go to Charlton as much.
    Stopped going altogether years ago.
    He then sadly took his own life. 
    I went to his funeral and there was a good turnout of Charlton to pay there respects.
    RIP Jim.
    Too brave for his own good was Jim. Always remember Chelsea away on Boxing Day 1975(?). Our district line train pulled into Earls Court and Jim wanted to take on about 200 Chelsea on his own. His mates thankfully stoped him 
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Walking back to Bolton station in the early 80's, we were ambushed by about 50 of their lads. Kevin Hopkins got out a silver Parker pen and the Bolton lads scattered thinking it was a knife. Couldn't run after them because we were too busy laughing ourselves silly.
  • Options
    Walking back to Bolton station, we were ambushed by about 50 of their lads. Kevin Hopkins got out a silver Parker pen and the Bolton lads scattered thinking it was a knife. Couldn't run after them because we were too busy laughing ourselves silly.
    The size and shape of most of us now we couldn't run even if we wanted to.