Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Covered End----Memories

Comments

• i remember someone reading the mag OZ after it had been banned going to an away game yonks back.
    !

That was me. It was the infamous schoolkids issue and everyone on the coach wanted to borrow it. I never got it back - and it goes for about £50 on ebay now!!

I remember when their journalists got jailed someone painted Free Oz on the side of a pub in Plumstead. Some wag added to it to make it read Free BoOze

I had long hair too and used to wear an RAF greatcoat. One of the outer crew. The inner crew used to frighten me as I was only a teenager.

I also remember the trip to Boro where we played their hairies and drank with them before the game and then in the second half their skinhead fans coming round to give us a kicking. Luckily they were thwarted by the OB who made them take the laces out of their Doc Martens.

Also worked in the bar under The Covered End for a short while. Only way you could guarantee getting a pint at half time! Got the sack for keep nipping out to watch the match.

Great memories. We want our Charlton back!!
  • Anyone remember the apples with razor blades being 'lobbed' into the CE.......I'm pretty sure it was Sheffield Wednesday, load of animals they were!!...........must be early 70's.
  • edited January 2016
    Things I remember about the old CE started going regularly 74/75 promotion against Preston and CE also used to come alive in those Friday Night evening games. Home to QPR in a League Cup replay and looking left up to the old East Terrace and it seemed full although only about 32,000. The Chelsea match which we won 4-0 and the bad losers that they are burned the Valley Club. Used to stand right at the top at the back and use my boots on the corrugated iron to make de de dede de dede de de Charlton but the night Chelsea came one second I was at the back at the top in my usual place and then these better dressed "suede" heads appeared and in about 10 seconds we had been pushed "bundled" down down to the front of the CE.
    Sheff Wed in that Cup match with loads of stretchers with people and their blue and white scarves laying out of it. I was only 14 or so and refused to move when Wednesday infiltrated. None of the Wed hit me I think cos I am small and probably only looked about 12 ! Remember also someone called Animal and Paul Griffiths who allegedly bit half of someones ear off in a rumble at Reading. Remember a Cup match v Pompey and loads of us were giving it " Come and have a go if you think you're hard enough" - knowing full well they couldn't get in to the CE cos the gate was locked. They came looking for us after the match in Harvey Gardens and we all legged it.! My very first match with my dad in the Covered End in Jan 1970 against QPR in the Cup. So much noise and remember the Charlton fans really taking the piss out of Rodney Marsh cos he had long hair (like a girl) The chant was Rodney is a Fairey (perhaps that's why he never liked us when he was on Sky Sports). Also from the same match remember the song of Hary Harry the Wanker of the Valley repeated over and again. That was for one of our own Harry Gregory.
    Happy Days.
  • i remember someone reading the mag OZ after it had been banned going to an away game yonks back.
    !

That was me. It was the infamous schoolkids issue and everyone on the coach wanted to borrow it. I never got it back - and it goes for about £50 on ebay now!!

I remember when their journalists got jailed someone painted Free Oz on the side of a pub in Plumstead. Some wag added to it to make it read Free BoOze

I had long hair too and used to wear an RAF greatcoat. One of the outer crew. The inner crew used to frighten me as I was only a teenager.

I also remember the trip to Boro where we played their hairies and drank with them before the game and then in the second half their skinhead fans coming round to give us a kicking. Luckily they were thwarted by the OB who made them take the laces out of their Doc Martens.

Also worked in the bar under The Covered End for a short while. Only way you could guarantee getting a pint at half time! Got the sack for keep nipping out to watch the match.

Great memories. We want our Charlton back!!
    I remember being on a bus with my Dad and how we laughed when we spotted the Free Oz sign had been turned into Free Booze, what better on a pub? Shame I was too young to drink, might have tried to get some. Happy days.
  • The first time your dad allows in the Covered end with your mates.
    Your first pint in the bar.
    Razor partings, Cappers, DMs, Stapress, Ben Shermans, Sheepskins.
    The first time you realise the unfamiliar faces around you are Millwall.
    Your first kicking.

I could go on..
  • edited January 2016

i remember someone reading the mag OZ after it had been banned going to an away game yonks back.
    !

Felix Dennis was nicked for editing that issue. Was the first person to say ***t on British tv before he then went on to make his multi millions. Frost loses his shit at it....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wN5lKGGSMlE
  • Was just thinking about the Arsenal testimonial game in the early 80's
  • Tavern said:

Was just thinking about the Arsenal testimonial game in the early 80's

Gooners thought they'd take liberties with little Charlton and came unstuck...
  • I remember climbing up the stairs into the stand and getting the first view of the pitch in all its verdant luvliness. Also starting off watching the game from the East Terrace if we won the toss, then going into the Covered end for the second half.
  • The smell of Light Ale and cigarettes and broken peanut shells on the terrace above the Robins Tavern..."we are the right side" That amazing feeling of a surge.....the pandemonium as a fight broke out.
  • Sponsored links:

• Things I remember about the old CE started going regularly 74/75 promotion against Preston and CE also used to come alive in those Friday Night evening games. Home to QPR in a League Cup replay and looking left up to the old East Terrace and it seemed full although only about 32,000. The Chelsea match which we won 4-0 and the bad losers that they are burned the Valley Club. Used to stand right at the top at the back and use my boots on the corrugated iron to make de de dede de dede de de Charlton but the night Chelsea came one second I was at the back at the top in my usual place and then these better dressed "suede" heads appeared and in about 10 seconds we had been pushed "bundled" down down to the front of the CE.
    Sheff Wed in that Cup match with loads of stretchers with people and their blue and white scarves laying out of it. I was only 14 or so and refused to move when Wednesday infiltrated. None of the Wed hit me I think cos I am small and probably only looked about 12 ! Remember also someone called Animal and Paul Griffiths who allegedly bit half of someones ear off in a rumble at Reading. Remember a Cup match v Pompey and loads of us were giving it " Come and have a go if you think you're hard enough" - knowing full well they couldn't get in to the CE cos the gate was locked. They came looking for us after the match in Harvey Gardens and we all legged it.! My very first match with my dad in the Covered End in Jan 1970 against QPR in the Cup. So much noise and remember the Charlton fans really taking the piss out of Rodney Marsh cos he had long hair (like a girl) The chant was Rodney is a Fairey (perhaps that's why he never liked us when he was on Sky Sports). Also from the same match remember the song of Hary Harry the Wanker of the Valley repeated over and again. That was for one of our own Harry Gregory.
    Happy Days.

Really ? Remember Harry Harry Harry Harry Harry Harry Harry Gregory to the Hare Krishna tune, but certainly not Harry the wanker ? anyone else remember ?
  • Harry the wanker. No.
  • Yeah I remember the Harry "Krishna" song too.

Knees up mother Brown and the surge at the end was always a laugh until I flattened a copper against Pompey.....PC Dead Leg we called him.
  • Tavern said:

Was just thinking about the Arsenal testimonial game in the early 80's

Neither George Best or Pat Jennings would sign my programme after the game. Miserable pair of c***s.
  • Bill did you live in Dartford and once have an accident with a fork lift
  • Sounds like fun at that end, I was at the open end, (we certainly had imagination for naming ends in those days), and was more serious, probably like the West stand now
  • edited January 2016
    Pity RD/KM don't read this thread, they would find out what WE are really about.....then perhaps they will understand what they are up against!!
  • edited January 2016

Things I remember about the old CE started going regularly 74/75 promotion against Preston and CE also used to come alive in those Friday Night evening games. Home to QPR in a League Cup replay and looking left up to the old East Terrace and it seemed full although only about 32,000. The Chelsea match which we won 4-0 and the bad losers that they are burned the Valley Club. Used to stand right at the top at the back and use my boots on the corrugated iron to make de de dede de dede de de Charlton but the night Chelsea came one second I was at the back at the top in my usual place and then these better dressed "suede" heads appeared and in about 10 seconds we had been pushed "bundled" down down to the front of the CE.
    Happy Days.

Oh boy, this post brings it all back! I remember all of that and more.

For me the evening games were magical. The smell, the noise as the teams came out, the menace of it kicking off.

I remember a game against Fulham in the late 70's. Mullary scored for them and Killer got the winner right at the end.

So many memories.

#ctid #card
    #wewantourcharltonback
  • Sponsored links:

• All jokes aside the Covered End from them days would be steaming in now with the current MUGS!
  • Things I remember about the old CE started going regularly 74/75 promotion against Preston and CE also used to come alive in those Friday Night evening games. Home to QPR in a League Cup replay and looking left up to the old East Terrace and it seemed full although only about 32,000. The Chelsea match which we won 4-0 and the bad losers that they are burned the Valley Club. Used to stand right at the top at the back and use my boots on the corrugated iron to make de de dede de dede de de Charlton but the night Chelsea came one second I was at the back at the top in my usual place and then these better dressed "suede" heads appeared and in about 10 seconds we had been pushed "bundled" down down to the front of the CE.
    Happy Days.

For me the evening games were magical. The smell, the noise as the teams came out, the menace of it kicking off.

I remember a game against Fulham in the late 70's. Mullary scored for them and Killer got the winner right at the end.

So many memories.

#ctid #card
    #wewantourcharltonback
    Great post Fella
  • True Tavern but it's much better to have the moral high ground and let the c--ts walk all over us ---- maybe we will have a good view of the new flats built where the Valley once was from that moral high ground

If ur taking a banner next game let me know where ur gona be
  • Tavern said:

All jokes aside the Covered End from them days would be steaming in now with the current MUGS!

Its all gone so PC now mate, I think a lot of people think we are dinosaurs. I guess you had to be there in those days to fully understand the unity of standing together for something we all loved. It was certainly a different mentality back then.

Also those Tuesday and Friday night games were always the best...from the night matches Southampton and Forest always stand out for me. Countless others from Saturday games.
  • Hey GoonerHater..... Yes, that was me. Still alive and kicking and still getting emotional about OUR club.
    Somebody said that those days shouldn`t return... Which they shouldn`t... but it was bloody great at the time.

Walsall away... First game in the old 3rd Division.
    Steve Jarrett wearing my "Charlton covered" butchers coat through the Walsall End.

Wednesday at home. CE packed with them from early on.
    Walked up the steps from behind the CE, only to be pushed straight on me arse and surrounded by blue and white.

12 of us deciding to "Have a go" from the East Terrace.
    Black eye and 3 quarter length leather coat in tatters latter,... we gave up.

Jees.... Give me back me teens
  • edited January 2016
    Pompey away mid week you your cousin and me and Dinddale drove
  • edited January 2016

So many memories.

#ctid #card
    #wewantourcharltonback
    I remember that match against Fulham. If Killer got even a sniff of a chance we knew it was certain to be in the the net before you could say Mike Flanagan. Great nights. Also a 4-3 v Brighton was similar. the 6-2 v Saints and that night when we managed to beat Brian Clough's great Forest side 2-1 on their way to promotion and the European Cup. We were formidable at The Valley in those night matches.
  • Great thread.
  • after the pic losted yesterday a bump for this thread