Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Time for a change?

OK, so before i start I would like to point out I do know the clubs history and why the robin song is played as our "walk out" song, but I feel it is very out dated now and we should be considering a new one

Every game the music in the lead up to the players walking sets the scene and still gets the hairs on the back of my neck standing up (into the valley, the instrumental song that is played before the announcer gets the crowd going (please name this song and a download link if possible) and then Red Red Robin comes on... We havent been the robins for many many years, and apart from a very rare few, do not call Charlton "the robins". The song doesnt sound like something that gets the crowd going, and I have never heard anyone singing along with it, or even "inspired" by the song (i am in the north stand south every week).

I am not saying drop the song completly, but to drop it down the play list order before we walk out to another song (before the instrumental one i mentioned above)

I would like to hear what peoples thoughts are on this, and some suggestions as to what to use instead that other teams are not using

heres my suggestion
http://www.nme.com/nme-video/youtube/id/mpGO9LyuZaY

The lyrics are what the club is about (mostly) and fits better after the instrumental and the announcer "Get behind the boys and make some noise".

Comments

• Options
    I'm liking the Hives number for the pre-second half cone exercise these days.
  • Options
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
  • Options

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

So its a No from you i take it.... reason for keeping it?
  • Options
    History and tradition.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Heresy! Not in my lifetime..................traditions must be preserved :-) Could you imagine Liverpool not to running out to 'You'll never walk alone' or Everton to the 'Zcars theme song' or Wet Spam to 'Bubbles' ? Need I go on? :o)
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Herasy! Not in my lifetime..................traditions must be preserved :-) Could you imagine Liverpool not to running out to 'You'll never walk alone' or Everton to the 'Zcars theme song' or Wet Spam to 'Bubbles' ? Need I go on? :o)

indubitably agree
  • Options

History and tradition.

I agree with your point, but History and tradition can hold you back... example is Cardiff City, traditionally played in blue home shirts, massive backlash from the fans when they changed to Red, but people accept it now

Charlton were born the Addicks, and are still the Addicks. The robins was a brief phase in out club history.

Also going along with tradition and history, why is Valley Floyd Road not one of the songs played before kick off?
  • Options
    The ducking stool beckons :-)
  • Options

OK, so before i start I would like to point out I do know the clubs history and why the robin song is played as our "walk out" song, but I feel it is very out dated now and we should be considering a new one

Every game the music in the lead up to the players walking sets the scene and still gets the hairs on the back of my neck standing up (into the valley, the instrumental song that is played before the announcer gets the crowd going (please name this song and a download link if possible) and then Red Red Robin comes on... We havent been the robins for many many years, and apart from a very rare few, do not call Charlton "the robins". The song doesnt sound like something that gets the crowd going, and I have never heard anyone singing along with it, or even "inspired" by the song (i am in the north stand south every week).

I am not saying drop the song completly, but to drop it down the play list order before we walk out to another song (before the instrumental one i mentioned above)

I would like to hear what peoples thoughts are on this, and some suggestions as to what to use instead that other teams are not using

heres my suggestion

The lyrics are what the club is about (mostly) and fits better after the instrumental and the announcer "Get behind the boys and make some noise".

North Stand South ? WUM ?
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Dez, over my dead cold lifeless body mate. When I hear that song as the lads run out, I am instantly standing next to my dear old Grandad and Uncle, long since drinking in that great big saloon bar in the sky.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No never ever change it and I mean never any attempt to change should be met with violent protests
  • Options
    Excellent idea.

Let's play in a blue strip as well.
  • Options
    Its as much a part of the club as The Valley or playing in red & white, i sing it everytime im at The Valley as it was one of the first songs i learnt as a kid from my dad.

• Options
    My dad sings it all the way through & has got my 9yr old son to do the same.

its called tradition - so lets keep it that way.
  • Options
    Don't mess with tradition and history, it's all that remains when we're dead and gone. Players will change, managers, even the ground. But leave the name the badge and the song well alone for future generations.
  • Options
    Plus im already teaching my 2 young nephews that song, im gonna fight every inch of the way to make them Charlton fans instead of Man Utd & Gillingham fans. ;)
  • Options
    Wasn't there a time in the mid 90s when along with the Red red robin, they also played 'fanfare for the common man'?

I can't think of another song I'd want the team to run out to, it's our song. At the Olympics, I got fed up with being blasted with the likes of 'we will rock you' etc every couple of minutes, you can't manufacture atmosphere.
  • Options
    I know what you mean Dez it is a bit 'dumpty dumpty dum' if you know what I mean - a bit passive and doesn't really get anyone fired up.
    That being said tradition is tradition and shouldn't be lost.

The bigger problem is the announcer - he gets on my nerves so much with that 'you know what youve gotta do, get behind the boys!!!'
    Just feel like saying - yeah, we know mate, you tell us every f**king week.
  • Options

I know what you mean Dez it is a bit 'dumpty dumpty dum' if you know what I mean - a bit passive and doesn't really get anyone fired up.

The bigger problem is the announcer - he gets on my nerves so much with that 'you know what youve gotta do, get behind the boys!!!'

@BDL Looks like you've got a massive fan!!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited January 2013

Priceless; shouldn't you be cracking on with your homework Ronny :-o
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No
  • Options
    Look its a naff song but its our naff song and yes I do sing it every home game and love it to bits. I have found more and more people are singing it around me too. I cant be just clapping limply through so we should all EMBRACE this song and if we all sang it we would all enjoy it. I wish the announcer would give it more respect rather than treat it like background noise.
  • Options
    Wind up alert. Don't rise to it.
  • Options

heres my suggestion

North Stand South ? WUM ?
    Haha, north stand lower is what i should of said.
  • Options
    This thread is going to be longer than the east stand block A one!!
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Priceless; shouldn't you be cracking on with your homework Ronny :-o
    I just finished it; I learnt how to use a semicolon.
  • Options
    Quintesentially (sp) Charlton. It stays.
  • Options

History and tradition.

I agree with your point, but History and tradition can hold you back... example is Cardiff City, traditionally played in blue home shirts, massive backlash from the fans when they changed to Red, but people accept it now

Charlton were born the Addicks, and are still the Addicks. The robins was a brief phase in out club history.

Also going along with tradition and history, why is Valley Floyd Road not one of the songs played before kick off?
    No. History is the foundation on which you build. Knowing and understanding that history enables one to reflect on mistakes and make better decisions for our future and help drive us forward.

We do not play VFR before the game as it is a crap tune.

• Options
    Cant change the RRR. It was written for Charlton after all for one of our cup visits. Honestly some people embrace change for changes sake-I think this is a wind up
  • Options
    Good idea. Perhaps you could look in to it? Maybe you could also see if you can swing it so we can leave the valley and ground share with a club that's near Surrey as well.....thanks in advance.