Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Time for a change?

Comments

• Options
    MrLargo said:

Think we should follow Watford's example and just play back-to-back trance, drum and bass, hard house etc.

Charlton usually start the game in a trance, right?
  • Options
    No. I like the Red Red Robin and in particular that version. I guess it's a nostalgic thing
  • Options

My dad sings it all the way through & has got my 9yr old son to do the same.

its called tradition - so lets keep it that way.

This!...my 7 year old starts singing it as we walk up to the train station before a game.

God help us if we go the Watford route as mentioned above, thought that was awful. As was the announcer, think our guy does a good job.

• Options
    Anything we replace it with will 'date' in the same way as the Robin. I don't think it makes any difference because of the noise at the start anyway.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

Think we should follow Watford's example and just play back-to-back trance, drum and bass, hard house etc.

12.45 on New Years' Day, still a bit pissed from the night before, very surreal, thought I was back in Ibiza.

Don't ever touch the Red Red Robin though.

Blimey yeah! That was weird wasn't it? Seriously wasn't in the frame of mind for all of that.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

12.45 on New Years' Day, still a bit pissed from the night before, very surreal, thought I was back in Ibiza.

Don't ever touch the Red Red Robin though.

That was hilarious. It was like Cheesy Euro Techno to keep the Italians happy.
  • Options
    BDLBDL
    edited January 2013
    Cheers Nug, cheques in the post ;-)

@DanDavis - It was No Limits by Two unlimited. It lasted one season. At the time I thought it was ok, but with age and a bit more maturity I realise and understand that Goal music is a bit of a no no for us. It may work for other teams (Bolton Wanderers) and codes (Rugby League for example) but probably not for us.

As for singing RRR, have a listen to the Hull KR fans, who sing it very loudly before and (if they win) after their games.
  • Options
    Sent my dad on his journey to the great unknown with the RRR and unforgettable by N KCole, "what if I've been blue now I'm walking through fields of flowers, I'm just a kid again doing what I did again".......
    It gave everyone a lift as we left the chapel and I think he'd have been very happy with the send off.
  • Options

Wash your mouth out with soap and water young man.

Its starts with dropping "Red Robins" and ends with this proud club being owned by an anonymous Middle East consortium of global sex toy manufacturers, being renamed the Charlton Dildos, changing the Valiant sword for a large pink plastic phallus and having to play in a flesh pink lycra kit sponsored by Ann Summers.

There are very few places left in English football that have not sold out to some shoddy global corporate bloody circus staffed by overpaid ponces and time wasting mercenaries- that still have some small degree of local integrity left and one of those places is the Valley.

Don't mess with magic.
  • Options
    I am assuming (could be totally wrong) that the thread starter is a younger person? If like me you grew up standing on the terraces watching the team of old with often now departed Dad's, Grandads etc, you would certainly not want it gone. Still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up after 40 years and is a highlight of match day for me and the kids.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Only thing you could change the RRR for is actually coming out to 'Into The Valley'

People used to sing along to it, but now the 200000bpm squad in the NU prefer to chant red army over the top of it, kinda pointless and a bit disrespectful imo
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

now the 200000rpm squad in the NU prefer to chant red army over the top of it

Blimey they must be dizzy after that!

• Options
    my son loves it (RRR) as he knows the song from his school play and sings along - he's 3 and a half, and I love it too
  • Options

sam3110 said:

now the 200000rpm squad in the NU prefer to chant red army over the top of it

Blimey they must be dizzy after that!

oops, changed now
  • Options

Don't mess with magic.

This.
  • Options
    Webby said:

I am assuming (could be totally wrong) that the thread starter is a younger person? If like me you grew up standing on the terraces watching the team of old with often now departed Dad's, Grandads etc, you would certainly not want it gone. Still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up after 40 years and is a highlight of match day for me and the kids.

And this (though my kid is in his thirties now!).
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Perhaps the kids would prefer a RRR Remix?

It could be posted on "Charlton Life's very own House thread".

;o)
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

;o)

Let me have a go at this....for comedy purposes obviously!
  • Options
    Ridiculous idea. You get the feeling some people stare out of the window, fingers poised over the keyboard , desperately trying to think of something to type. This is Charlton history. My lot sing it loud and proud even adding hand movements and a dance. LEAVE IT ALONE...
  • Options
    Yes, Charlton history. Let's leave RRR alone please.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I wasn't being serious - hence the Smiley.

But why not have a bit of fun with it?
    I'm interested to hear what Dan comes up with.
  • Options

1996 ? So you weren't around in the mid 80s when certain people thought a change of scenery would do the club good ?
    You don't like the song, fair enough. Is there anything else that's got your goat in the last 17 years ?
    Tradition and history are what make the club, whether it be the ground, kit colour or a song.

RRR has gone nowhere near my goat, my goat was taken by appointing Dowie as manager. I don't think its been given back yet
  • Options

Dez, was your first match against palace by any chance ?

First game at the valley was against Bradford.
  • Options

The tradition I would like to see revived is the art of accepting that sometimes you can be wrong, and bowing out gracefully.

That is a tradition i will accept =)
    I will admit that changing RRR is not something that would be a good idea. And after all the positive comments in support of the song i will be hoping to hear more people singing along with it. The next home game can be RRR awareness day.
    But still yet to be answered is... WHAT IS THE INSTRUMENTAL THAT IS PLAYED JUST BEFORE RRR?
  • Options
    I'm
    DanDavis said:

Oggy Red said:

;o)

Let me have a go at this....for comedy purposes obviously!
    I can do a Grunge rock version, just for fun.

• Options
    Sod off, its part of my pre kick off ritual, sing it every game.
  • Options
    edited January 2013

The tradition I would like to see revived is the art of accepting that sometimes you can be wrong, and bowing out gracefully.

That is a tradition i will accept =)
    I will admit that changing RRR is not something that would be a good idea. And after all the positive comments in support of the song i will be hoping to hear more people singing along with it. The next home game can be RRR awareness day.
    But still yet to be answered is... WHAT IS THE INSTRUMENTAL THAT IS PLAYED JUST BEFORE RRR?
    O Verona - Craig Armstrong (from Romeo + Juliet soundtrack)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dPW7KFB3xQ

This video might belong to someone on here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JduAURXtY-k
  • Options
    awesome...thank you callumcafc
  • Options
    Love that video
  • Options
    I'm a tad surprised at the support for RRR here, and people criticizing the MC for talking over it - the vast majority at the Valley talks over it, and chants over it very early on. For a tradition, it's not exactly observed as you'd think by the comments here.

I can see why people without an emotional connection to the song wouldn't necessarily get the impression that it's considered significant.