Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Time for a change?

Comments

• Options
    Fair play to you for singing it. Maybe if a few more people did, i may be able to hear someone in the north stand singing it. Perhaps someone could get up next to the drummer and get him to get it going.

Well I sing RRR every week and I know Boogica does as well. Try telling him to scrap it and he will knock you out.

• Options

Fair play to you for singing it. Maybe if a few more people did, i may be able to hear someone in the north stand singing it. Perhaps someone could get up next to the drummer and get him to get it going.

Well I sing RRR every week and I know Boogica does as well. Try telling him to scrap it and he will knock you out.

Maybe we should go the whole hog and start playing music when we score.
    Cheerleaders ?
    Traditions keep a link with our history and bring generations together - I'd be well f***ed off if we dropped the RRR.
  • Options
    edited January 2013

Cheerleaders ?
    Traditions keep a link with our history and bring generations together - I'd be well f***ed off if we dropped the RRR.

Am I imagining things or did we at some point actually play music when we scored??

• Options
    If that we are one song became OUR song. I dont think there'd be many singing that either. keep RRR
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    We did have cheerleaders at one of the games this season, can't remember which one but they didn't get much of a reaction (it may of been the game where some fans won a chance to have a penalty shootout)

Cheerleaders ?
  • Options

We did have cheerleaders at one of the games this season, can't remember which one but they didn't get much of a reaction (it may of been the game where some fans won a chance to have a penalty shootout)

Cheerleaders ?
    Dez fella if you're going to quote everybody, generally you do it after the post you're referring to, otherwise your comment doesn't make sense. I know it's your first day posting on here so I like to help out the newbies...
  • Options

Cheerleaders ?
    Dez fella if you're going to quote everybody, generally you do it after the post you're referring to, otherwise your comment doesn't make sense. I know it's your first day posting on here so I like to help out the newbies...
    Thanks for that, my phone doesn't scroll to well.
  • Options
    edited January 2013

OK, so before i start I would like to point out I do know the clubs history and why the robin song is played as our "walk out" song, but I feel it is very out dated now and we should be considering a new one

Every game the music in the lead up to the players walking sets the scene and still gets the hairs on the back of my neck standing up (into the valley, the instrumental song that is played before the announcer gets the crowd going (please name this song and a download link if possible) and then Red Red Robin comes on... We havent been the robins for many many years, and apart from a very rare few, do not call Charlton "the robins". The song doesnt sound like something that gets the crowd going, and I have never heard anyone singing along with it, or even "inspired" by the song (i am in the north stand south every week).

I am not saying drop the song completly, but to drop it down the play list order before we walk out to another song (before the instrumental one i mentioned above)

I would like to hear what peoples thoughts are on this, and some suggestions as to what to use instead that other teams are not using

heres my suggestion
    http://www.nme.com/nme-video/youtube/id/mpGO9LyuZaY

The lyrics are what the club is about (mostly) and fits better after the instrumental and the announcer "Get behind the boys and make some noise".

North Stand South ? WUM ?
    Haha, north stand lower is what i should of have said.
    I'm standing in for Henry :)

Seriously, why not a new song with a traditional feel...can still be jolly hockey sticks if you want. As for BDL, anyone remember that embarrasing DJ at the Hartlepool game, BDL should have got the whole shift.

• Options
    No!!!!!

It's always been our tradition and it's like something that is very close to Charlton that could go away. I don't care if other people take the piss out of it, it's our club song and part of our history, end off!
  • Options
    A serious question for Dezbryant and I apologise if you've been asked it earlier in the thread...how long have you been going to The Valley ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    BDLBDL
    edited January 2013

I get annoyed when the (tiresome) PA announcer cuts it short. Play it. Sing it. Enjoy it.

I'll put you down as a fan then?

In all seriousness, we do play it fully, I use the break to announce the mascots and sponsors then wait until the last bar to go into the teams.

Only on occasions such as last Saturday, will I go into it earlier when I know we have something like a minutes silence/applause or other announcement.

As for RRR as @AirmanBrown once said, it may be a crap song, but it's our crap song.

Live, Love, Laugh and Be Happy!

• Options
    NO - Its tradition and the Red Red Robin song is Charlton Athletic FC.
    Too many things in football have changed over the years, many for the worst.
    For those who do not understand our history or tradition and want to change to suit their own fancy - perhaps you may look to consider a change of club or indeed sport, as it is evident from you comments you just dont see or get it - do you.
  • Options
    At my unçles funeral ( an old Charlton player) everybody was ok until they played. the red red robin it was impossible to hold back the tears.
  • Options
    I currently have it as my ringtone, confuses people all the time in public, due to the fact im a rocker/metalhead art type when suddenly that comes out loudly from my phone.

Love it, it's a major part of the club.
  • Options
    no, RRR stays but be happy if that bloke stops telling us to make some noise - he's generally alright as an announcer but that bit is contrived nonsense
  • Options

A serious question for Dezbryant and I apologise if you've been asked it earlier in the thread...how long have you been going to The Valley ?

shocking you are the first person to ask. Been going to the valley since 96, so i am not one of "those" kind of fans who haven't put the miles in

• Options

no, RRR stays but be happy if that bloke stops telling us to make some noise - he's generally alright as an announcer but that bit is contrived nonsense

That's very much a pre match tradition which can stay thank you very much, keep it up BDL.
  • Options

no, RRR stays but be happy if that bloke stops telling us to make some noise - he's generally alright as an announcer but that bit is contrived nonsense genuine passion.

• Options
    1996 ? So you weren't around in the mid 80s when certain people thought a change of scenery would do the club good ?
    You don't like the song, fair enough. Is there anything else that's got your goat in the last 17 years ?
    Tradition and history are what make the club, whether it be the ground, kit colour or a song.
  • Options
    The tradition I would like to see revived is the art of accepting that sometimes you can be wrong, and bowing out gracefully.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DanDavis said:

I used to love it when the away team came out first to little or no crowd noise and then the build up to the home team coming out - shame it changed.

Same here. I dunno how long the handshake walkout has been going on for, but I'm still not used to it - still expect them to come running out booting footballs into the air on the way.
    DanDavis said:

Am I imagining things or did we at some point actually play music when we scored??

I think we did for at least one game (Tranmere?) in the playoff season, or perhaps two years later when we got promoted as champions. Hope we never do again!
  • Options
    Not a fan of the handshake start either, think it is great in International football or tournaments but league football, when your playing teams and players, you will play all the time, it seems weird to me.

• Options
    Add to that the constant slow motion replays of men either shaking or not shaking hands for days at a time on sky sports news... that got old real quick.
  • Options
    Can we get cheerleaders,move our club to northampton and change the home strip to blue aswell??

• Options
    The playing of the RRR was one of the poignant moments of the game on December 5th 1992. It produced a lump in the throat for many, even tears for some. Old-fashioned, maybe, but who cares. It means something.
  • Options
    Think we should follow Watford's example and just play back-to-back trance, drum and bass, hard house etc.

12.45 on New Years' Day, still a bit pissed from the night before, very surreal, thought I was back in Ibiza.

Don't ever touch the Red Red Robin though.
  • Options
    You're not alone, Dez.

Pardew had the same idea.

;o)
  • Options
    Dez, was your first match against palace by any chance ?
  • Options
    Whenever I am back from Oz and can get to The Valley for a game I always have to look away from my friends who I am at the game with when RRR is playing as I have tears running down my cheeks.

Just hearing THAT old style rendition of RRR and feeling the cold, crisp SE London air and looking around my beloved Valley, a place we fought so hard for, gets me very, very emotional.

The age and style of RRR is perfect for us, we are an old club with a proud history, I would not change it for anything.