Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Welcome Ben Kensell - Chief Marketing Officer

Has some football background from working at Arsenal. Could be a fresh, young talent coming in with new ideas so good luck to him and welcome to Charlton.

Rumour, if you believe it or not, is that he applied for the operations job and has been offered the marketing job instead.

He initially turned down the CMO role on the basis he has no marketing experience (which seems to be confirmed by his Linkedin profile (below)

From Linkedin

Ben Kensell's Overview

Current

Commercial Operations Manager at Arsenal Football Club

Past

Events Manager at Ambro Events
Events Officer at Demontfort University
Education

De Montfort University
Archbishops School
Connections

Ben Kensell's Experience

Commercial Operations Manager

Arsenal Football Club

Nonprofit; 11-50 employees; Sports industry

September 2006 – Present (6 years 5 months)

Events Manager

Ambro Events

Privately Held; 11-50 employees; Events Services industry

May 2004 – September 2006 (2 years 5 months)

Events Officer

Demontfort University

May 2003 – February 2005 (1 year 10 months)

Ben Kensell's Skills & Expertise

Sports
Event Planning
Business Development
Revenue Streams
Catering
Venue Management
Sports Venues
Stadiums
Financial Accounting
Account Management
Project Management
Major Events

Ben Kensell's Education

De Montfort University

Bachelor of Arts (BA), Theatre/Theatre Arts Management

1999 – 2003

Archbishops School

1993 – 1999

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Eh? He has no marketing experience but he's got the job of Chief Marketing Officer - is that a joke?
  • Options
    mmm How tall is he?
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Eh? He has no marketing experience but he's got the job of Chief Marketing Officer - is that a joke?

Appears not
  • Options
    what position does he play?
  • Options
    You'll be surprised the number of clients I have had who know ziltch about marketing.

And that's at some global blue chip companies!
  • Options
    New staff with seemingly good potential shock. And I thought the owners were going to run us into the ground and lose their dosh.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited January 2013
    The name Arsenal seems to have gotten him a job. I suggest that there are at least 3 people in the club with a more suited skillset. Jesus, I think I have a better one.

How old is he? 28?

Maybe I'm just jealous. Not that I'm interested in working for the club at the moment...
  • Options
    I wish him every success.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    What the feck, Arsenal described as a non-profit?!!!
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Maybe the mysterons are hoping he Kensell our football club to potential investors.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Kensell can sell .. let's hope that he can (:->)
  • Options

This.

He'll soon get found out if his lack of experience on paper is detrimental or doesn't add any value to the club but they have obviously seen something in him to offer him the job.

Rather that than paying top whack to someone with an impressive marketing cv who could turn out to be there for the cash before jumping ship when a sexier/ better paid position came knocking.

Chris Powell had no management experience and the boy done good.
  • Options
    edited January 2013

Maybe the mysterons are hoping he Kensell our football club to potential investors.

Ha ha yeah when they called up Arsenal for a reference his boss said "Oh yeah Ben can sell..." and they hung up having heard that before letting him finish the sentence.
  • Options
    Who says theatre studies doesn't make you employable.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited January 2013
    Very true RCT.

Football is so strange, I can't believe you'd ever get a "Chief" marketing job in any other industry with no tangible marketing skills/experience. The competition for marketing positions at the moment is so intense.
  • Options
    Uboat said:

Who says theatre studies doesn't make you employable.

The Valley is the theatre of dreams so that could be tangible.
  • Options
    My bet is his big idea will be to put prices up. Don't understand the fuss about his lack of Marketing qualifications. Stating the bleeding obvious has always been hugely over-rated in my opinion even if it has provided a healthy living for people who can't do anything else.
  • Options
    Lol.
  • Options

Chris Powell had no management experience and the boy done good.
    Had a 20 year career working with managers though
  • Options
    CHGCHG
    edited January 2013
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    CHG said:

Worked with my wife when she worked at Arsenal, not heard great things about him.

more importantly have you heard bad/indifferent things about him
  • Options
    She had personal rather than professional issues, lets hope he steps up to the plate and turns out to be a good appointment. Chelsea fan, not that that matters.
  • Options
    Is he on a work experience program?
    No experience, numpty degree from a numpty university. wtf.
  • Options
    We love a good grouse-up, we do. Oh yes we do.
  • Options

My bet is his big idea will be to put prices up. Don't understand the fuss about his lack of Marketing qualifications. Stating the bleeding obvious has always been hugely over-rated in my opinion even if it has provided a healthy living for people who can't do anything else.

Whata load of bollocks.

• Options
    I'm told he can fill in at left back as when if required
  • Options
    DeMontfort, the university that says "YES!"
  • Options
    Can I be the first to say "Kensell out"
    Thank you
  • Options
    Is he one of RM's nephews ?
  • Options
    I think I can work out what is behind this apparently odd choice, but it involves a bit of discussion about what marketing actually is, so a lot of you may choose to tune out now.
    When I went into marketing it was a serious career in big consumer goods companies, led by P&G and Unilever. In my own case it was United Biscuits, God preserve their Hobnobs. Over the years the term has been much more widely adopted by all kind of two bob companies - in this case football clubs are two bob companies - but they often only have hazy idea of what marketing is. There ar various definitions, but my favorite is that of the late lamented Professor Peter Doyle of Warwick University, and it is " the matching of what customers need and want, with what the company can produce or provide, in a way which maximizes long term profit". Note that this implies listening to your customers in the first place, and note "long term". Short term profit is produced by good salespeople. They can sell a bad product, once. In football clubs you generally find that the marketing person seems to be measured by finding something crass to sponsor and getting people to pay for it, flogging exec boxes, and various events. This guy actually has experience of some of that. To his credit, he probably doesn't think of that as marketing, but he probably found that this is exactly what messrs Slater and Jiminez think it is. And I'd expect nothing else from a lawyer and a property dealer.

As to what marketing in a football club actually is, that is tricky, but basically the more important part as I see it is the work which Airman and the others started in the 90s. Thinking about who the customers are, what they want and what stops them from buying the product. As he has demonstrated here many times Airman is able to discuss in great detail whether a particular price promotion actually delivered a profit and whether it might have contributed to people returning regularly ( profit in the long term).

So I think this guy will sell a good box and organize some good events. And maybe his bosses will be satisfied. It's not what I call marketing, but either way, the responsibility lies with the people who hired him, as it always does in management hiring.