Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Welcome Ben Kensell - Chief Marketing Officer

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2014
    masicat said:

I bet the replacement is a woman.

More likely no one will replace him. M Roly cost cutting plan.

Ticket office closed on a thursday afternoon, get rid of the asset, what next? Club shop only open between 11-3 Monday, Wednesday and Friday. 1pm Saturday afternoon kick offs during the winter months to save money on electricity, ie: Floodlights
  • Options
    I'd like to wish Ben good luck in his new job. He has been very helpful to me and my family.
  • Options
    Don't know Ben, but wish him well in his new endeavour.

As far as I'm concerned, all he was guilty of was trying a few new things and taking a few risks. Okay, they didn't work, but at least he had the bollocks to give them a go.

Part of being successful is failing a few times and learning from your mistakes.

Hopefully this hasn’t knocked his confidence and he can do well in his next role.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    think he chose the 'arsenal' one, not sure about the previous, he told me the latest one has been a big hit sales wise. Agree, particularly with the previous one it was poor mind you so was the previous Nike kit IMHO
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

masicat said:

Ticket office closed on a thursday afternoon, get rid of the asset, what next?

Club shop only open between 11-3 Monday, Wednesday and Friday. 1pm Saturday afternoon kick offs during the winter months to save money on electricity, ie: Floodlights
    Ticket office closure on Thursday does not affect costs, unless they are going to cut hours of staff, which they have not indicated at this time.

Control of the "superstore" was handed over to |Nike subsidiary when we signed up to Nike, so RD had no control over their opening hours or benefit from any cost savings.

If RD is to be slagged off at least do it for things that he is responsible for. For example the actual redundancies made at the Valley or the selling of Yann and Stephens or the bringing in of rubbish players in January - see there is lots of ammunition that is factual.
  • Options
    Sorry I must have missed an email - why is this chap so unpopular?

I heard a fair few positives about him early on - when did it go tits up?
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Sorry I must have missed an email - why is this chap so unpopular?

I heard a fair few positives about him early on - when did it go tits up?

I think it was the crossbar debacle and the use of the term "Sweating the assets".

Good luck to him at Norwich.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

shirty5 said:

masicat said:

Club shop only open between 11-3 Monday, Wednesday and Friday. 1pm Saturday afternoon kick offs during the winter months to save money on electricity, ie: Floodlights
    Ticket office closure on Thursday does not affect costs, unless they are going to cut hours of staff, which they have not indicated at this time.

Control of the "superstore" was handed over to |Nike subsidiary when we signed up to Nike, so RD had no control over their opening hours or benefit from any cost savings.

If RD is to be slagged off at least do it for things that he is responsible for. For example the actual redundancies made at the Valley or the selling of Yann and Stephens or the bringing in of rubbish players in January - see there is lots of ammunition that is factual.
    My last paragraph was in jest, though watch this space ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    shirty5 said:

Kap10 said:

shirty5 said:

masicat said:

My last paragraph was in jest, though watch this space ;)
    You're suppossed to do a LOL or smiley face when you say things in jest .. didn't you tread the memo?
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Seems a lot longer than June 2013 that I interviewed Ben at the Valley for trust news.
    I would like to think that Ben did buy into the idea that this was club was 'special'.
    He seemed open to ideas, and was a supportive person in the conversations I had at the Valley.
    Personally I think he had a very difficult job to do, and the Club shop and Catering were two things that I know he inherited the contracts on, which I know
    he saw the issues with. In the dealing's I had with him, mainly over the ACV he was very supportive, and was someone you could work with, at least I could and despite a few issues that I found hard to support welcomed his support, and contribution.
    As Fanny has mentioned he did make a big effort, and was one of the few people at one one time who did reply to my enquiries, help/assistance, so perhaps he did not have the free hand that people might assume to just change things at his will.

• Options
    I didn't know Ben and was not happy with the Crossbars seating proposals but he responded to my Emails on the subject and was very polite and courteous.
    Good luck Ben
  • Options

I hold this guy responsible for why people are walking around my beloved Valley eating f****** couscous. For me, his actions are unforgiveable and i wish him a public stoning by a thousand Wagon Wheels.

Everyone's middle class now Afka.
  • Options
    Rothko said:

I hold this guy responsible for why people are walking around my beloved Valley eating f****** couscous. For me, his actions are unforgiveable and i wish him a public stoning by a thousand Wagon Wheels.

Everyone's middle class now Afka.
    Not in the Covered End.
  • Options

You're so right AFKA - couscous so last year. When will we get quinoa?
  • Options

You're so right AFKA - couscous so last year. When will we get quinoa?
    Quinoa is the worst food around. My Mrs once tried to sneak some of that nonsense into my packed lunch (I take one to work to save costs). Never again.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Met him a couple of times, always seemed nice and polite
    Good Luck Ben
  • Options
    So why has he gone then? Headhunted or relieved of his duties (Cost cutting)?
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I think there is a general view that Ben is a nice guy who approached his job with enthusiasm and did his best for the club as he saw it. There's no reason not to wish him well and I do.

It's worth pointing out though that Prothero had planned to appoint him as chief operating officer and changed his mind when Bradshaw appeared on the scene.

The commercial post was supposed to be marketing, but was changed because Ben had no marketing experience.

Ben was then left to carry the role with limited support from the determinedly non-executive Prothero, no chief executive, and subsequently an inexperienced Katrien Meire.

He needed support and protecting from his mistakes, IMO, but nobody in authority provided it because, as KM says, the management was a mess.

If he'd reported to someone like Peter Varney he'd have learned a lot more quickly. Indeed, I understand Ben had the good sense to seek PV's advice, but given the club was suing Peter at the time he wasn't really in a position to help.
  • Options
    I think those slagging Ben off gave been well and truly put to bed. The club have a lot to thank him for especially some of the sponsorship.

• Options
    Masicat always right.....
  • Options
    Always.
  • Options

Ben brought in the concept and then delivered the £150 season ticket - sold out in a month or two and there are now no alibis for fans saying "I can't afford it". He also brought in more tiers in the pricing for the East and West which will make a difference as and when crowds increase - the best seats cost more but a season ticket in the East or West Stand was available for £250.
    He also brought in some fan consultation on the whole season ticket proposal. Fanny, myself and others were there and it was unfortunate that he chose to try to move fans in the North Upper.
    Thing was that on the morning of the season ticket launch he responded to lobbying by the supporters Trust and a change decision was agreed with the (now) CEO by lunchtime.
    Mistakes are made but it's how people respond that matters. And Ben was all over the quality issues relating to Addicks place.
    The fact that he has gone to secure a role at what is currently a bigger club says a lot for Ben and a lot for CAFC in 2014. I have to say I found him extremely professional AND genuine in all of my dealings when I was on the Trust board - it was by no means an easy landscape to navigate with the then board and great uncertainty around the future direction. Put another way working with Ben was the best option to simplify relations between the supporters Trust and the club.
    He even commissioned the supporters Trust to run a survey on catering and the matchday experience although I'm not sure cous-cous was an option?!

Great post met Ben a few times always came across as genuinely wanting to do the best for Charlton and a nice man to boot.

Good luck Ben in your new role.
  • Options
    masicat said:

I think those slagging Ben off gave been well and truly put to bed. The club have a lot to thank him for especially some of the sponsorship.

Another Belgian woman perhaps?:-)
  • Options
    ross1 said:

masicat said:

Another Belgian woman perhaps?:-)
    Nope