Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Welcome Ben Kensell - Chief Marketing Officer

Comments

• Options
    I'll volunteer to give MS and TJ a break, any preferences as to whether it's first or second leg?
  • Options
    This years whipping boy
  • Options
    His nickname at Arsenal was 'Kensell overtheplace' doesnt bode well!
  • Options
    Did Wenger see him leave?
  • Options

Well said Rodney

If there is one thing that has tainted my enjoyment of this site over the last year it's the constant mud slinging against the board

It can be expected from bitter ex employees its when it's done by people who are so clearly so gullable they believe every line of bullshit that they want to hear

I wish the new appointment well although I bet he will be crucified if one of the buses breaks down on the a2

I agree the bloke deserves a chance and it's unreasonable to assume he's not up to the job before he arrives. I'm not judging him.

However, I think you'll find it's commercial rather than just marketing in practice. It makes no sense to have a narrow marketing post alongside finance and operations, and that person managing delivery of commercial activity.

As for gullibility, time will tell. But I wouldn't bet on it being them who looks gullible if I was you.
  • Options
    Arsenal 11-50 employees? Surely more than that...
  • Options
    Wait and see I guess.

He lasted 6 years at Arsenal which suggests he might have something about him. On the other hand one could cynically say that Premiership top 4 sells itself so is not too demanding to market. He did get the job in the first place and last though.

I'll stick with wait and see.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    What a ridiculous thread.

There is so much good stuff on Charlton Life.

But this sort of nonsense is what allows the board to dismiss it as not worthy of taking seriously.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    On the contrary, I can tell you that Slater is a regular reader and reacts to CL.
  • Options

On the contrary, I can tell you that Slater is a regular reader and reacts to CL.

If that's true then I #cringe at some of the unnecessary stick they have received on here
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Loose lips sink ships?
  • Options

Loose lips sink ships?

Or loose lips get you the sack
  • Options

Well said Rodney

If there is one thing that has tainted my enjoyment of this site over the last year it's the constant mud slinging against the board

It can be expected from bitter ex employees its when it's done by people who are so clearly so gullable they believe every line of bullshit that they want to hear

I wish the new appointment well although I bet he will be crucified if one of the buses breaks down on the a2

I agree the bloke deserves a chance and it's unreasonable to assume he's not up to the job before he arrives. I'm not judging him.

However, I think you'll find it's commercial rather than just marketing in practice. It makes no sense to have a narrow marketing post alongside finance and operations, and that person managing delivery of commercial activity.

As for gullibility, time will tell. But I wouldn't bet on it being them who looks gullible if I was you.
    Is there any chance you could actually tell us what you think is going to happen to the club Airman. Maximum respect for what you have done for the club, both before and after becoming an employee but nobody from what i can see, is prepared to actually say it. Is it, selling the valley and moving us to a new ground? Is that it? I've always assumed it is, and maybe its already been stated as the main 'problem' with the new owners but is it? At least we could know what we are supposed to be disliking. At the moment it swings between, 1) no info to the supporters/ lack of transparency, 2) they don't like CP, 3) they have sacked some of the trusted old guard, 4) they have offshore bank accounts 5) they don't havea pot to piss in and are running up huge debts that will bankrup us 6) they forgot to pay the window cleaner. I'm assuming that its all the above but the main one is nr.7, selling the valley for development? Am i warm?
  • Options
    @BexleyDan

I really don't think your question is quite as daft as I first thought. I would like to read a serious attempt at an answer.
  • Options
    Bexley Dans question isn't daft at all. However I don't think you can really expect Airman Brown to answer on the net in the way that he's being asked to, especially while he's still in dispute with the club
  • Options

Bexley Dans question isn't daft at all. However I don't think you can really expect Airman Brown to answer on the net in the way that he's being asked to, especially while he's still in dispute with the club

Not to seemed to stop him from posting plenty of other stuff.
  • Options

What a ridiculous thread.

There is so much good stuff on Charlton Life.

But this sort of nonsense is what allows the board to dismiss it as not worthy of taking seriously.

Always good to see you IA as you know.

I have to say pots and kettles to you though!

Yank marketing bloke at Canterbury and your reaction ring any bells?
  • Options

Loose lips sink ships?
    Loose lips need botox ?

• Options
    edited January 2013
    There is a continuing assumption that I was sacked for posting things on Charlton Life. I can only tell you that the club says that is not the case. My dismissal is the subject of an unfair dismissal claim to be heard in May. I am entirely comfortable with my case and what will come into the public domain about my actions then, but I am not planning to argue that case on here in the meantime.

I am not aware of any current plans to sell The Valley or relocate the club. I've said consistently that this ownership was not involved in the sale of the Lansdowne Mews property. That isn't to say that The Valley might not be at risk at some point in the future, but I've no reason to think it is now. I don't think it's on their agenda, because I believe they are principally interested in getting into the Premier League and what that does to the value of the club. I also accept that's perfectly legitimate, by the way. It means their short-term interests and ours, the supporters, are for the moment aligned. But are their plans realistic and could they of themselves pose a risk to the longer term future of the club or, stepping back from that, do they threaten the identity of the club and what it means to us? What happens if they can't deliver promotion and on what timescale? These are concerns. The club cannot in my judgement ever break even in this division.

So the key question is how the club is being financed and whether it is accumulating debt through directors' loans or loans secured against the business in some way. Bluntly, where's the money coming from and is it likely to run out, leaving us with liabilities that can't be met?

The departures of Peter Varney, Steve Kavanagh, myself, Wendy Perfect and Helen Reed are of no particular long-term importance individually (Varney perhaps being a partial exception), except that losing about 60 years of experience and replacing it with a senior team with virtually no accumulated knowledge or experience of the club and its supporters is bound to be a risk of itself. But that the first four should leave in the space of three months is clearly not a coincidence.

Obviously Richard Murray is still there, and that carries weight, but he is a semi-detached member of this administration and has much less influence than in the past. Mick Everett, Matt Wright and Dave Archer are all fans and previously reported to a director - Kavanagh. Under the new structure, as I understand it, they won't. That to me is a demotion.

The circumstances of some of these 2012 departures if and when they emerge will shine a powerful light on Messrs Jimenez, Slater and Prothero. Any suggestion that Varney and Kavanagh left amicably is risible. Based on my knowledge and experience of the three directors they are not people I trust with our club, and that is by no means my view alone. But I speak only for myself and I make my own judgements. I don't rely on others. If and when further information emerges into the public domain, and it well might over the coming months, then some of the sceptics on here will be better placed to make their own judgements than they are at present.

It was argued on here last summer that the old senior management was simply being replaced by people with more experience and skills to move the club forward. I say nothing against Steve Bradshaw or Ben Kensell and I wish them well, but I wonder if the people who argued that then still believe it. Is Prothero a step up from Varney? Given his near invisibility it's hard for supporters to say. But Varney knows the club, what Prothero knows is business. And as Prague has argued, there was no evidence of failure by the incumbents. Rather the opposite. The failure had been on the football side.

Again, new owners may want their own management team regardless. But why so suddenly last summer and autumn? What would cause long-serving and respected directors to resign abruptly from the board? You all saw what did and didn't happen in terms of transfers.

I do fully understand the argument that as long as the team is doing well and Chris Powell in particular is in place then most supporters will be happy, and that most people are only interested in the team. I believe Chris was at major risk in the week of the Cardiff game and that the fans turned the result and the situation. We should be proud of that, and Charlton Life was key to it. I hope now that he is secure until at least the end of the season.

Slater will charm people at the VIP meeting and the fans' forum, because he is good at that, and people will come on here to say that all is right with the world. They will be sincere and genuine. And in my view they will be wrong. I think you'd be surprised, now I am no longer bound contractually, if I kept that view to myself.

• Options
    Interesting post Airman. Thanks for that.

In some ways it allays certain fears - for example, the prospect of leaving The Valley doesn't seem to be on the immediate agenda - but still leaves lots of questions. Time will tell I guess.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Chris Powell still worries me. On pure assumption, he seems to be too 'Old Charlton' for the new board.

Keep picking up results and all should be good though. Then again, look at Adkins.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited January 2013
    Can't wait for May/June though...
  • Options
    WSS said:

The Chris Powell still worries me. On pure assumption, he seems to be too 'Old Charlton' for the new board.

Keep picking up results and all should be good though. Then again, look at Adkins.

I think CP is no more under threat than any other manager in the professional game, which means nothing. Now one of the longest serving managers in the championship, he can only do what he can on a day to day basis with the players he has and the resources he has. I think Rick is right he could have gone around Cardiff and I think that he could have gone before the recent run and there will be other times in the future when he will be at risk and ultimately he will go, I don't know if it will be by his own volition, tomorrow, next week, next month, next year it will happen.

As regards to Kensell, I have nothing against him and wish him every success, but as a professional marketeer with leading UK brands under my belt, the misuse of the marketing title grates with me. Too many positions out there are miss labelled marketing and its those that give the profession and professionals like me a bad name.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Among Championship managers, only Mowbray, Poyet, Clough and Jackett have been in post longer than Powell as far as I can see. Bloody ridiculous really.

Darren Ferguson was also appointed two days before Chris.
  • Options
    Thank you AB for your post. I think what you have written is because of your credentials a very weighty opinion.
  • Options
    And the same from me, Airman.
  • Options
    thanks for the reply Airman.
  • Options
    Thanks Airman for the reply and good luck with your case.
  • Options
    Ditto. Very measured and helpful post. Thank you
  • Options
    That's it, we're going down.