Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Welcome Ben Kensell - Chief Marketing Officer

Comments

• Options
    I believe he will move us upwards. Kensell Rise.
  • Options
    Hope he doesn't read this site - we've already decided he's shit and not up to the job.

Astonishing
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Hope he doesn't read this site - we've already decided he's shit and not up to the job.

Astonishing

It's just disappointment. Everyone was expecting the arrival of a 6' 5", 35 goal a season striker
  • Options
    I hope he's not part of the set-up that eventually moves us over to the Penisula.

I couldn't bare to see the Valley being demolished for Kensell houses.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Astonishing

The good news is that he's never been a fireman.
    I've also heard he's the jealous type. Kensell Green.
  • Options

I think I can work out what is behind this apparently odd choice, but it involves a bit of discussion about what marketing actually is, so a lot of you may choose to tune out now.
    When I went into marketing it was a serious career in big consumer goods companies, led by P&G and Unilever. In my own case it was United Biscuits, God preserve their Hobnobs. Over the years the term has been much more widely adopted by all kind of two bob companies - in this case football clubs are two bob companies - but they often only have hazy idea of what marketing is. There ar various definitions, but my favorite is that of the late lamented Professor Peter Doyle of Warwick University, and it is " the matching of what customers need and want, with what the company can produce or provide, in a way which maximizes long term profit". Note that this implies listening to your customers in the first place, and note "long term". Short term profit is produced by good salespeople. They can sell a bad product, once. In football clubs you generally find that the marketing person seems to be measured by finding something crass to sponsor and getting people to pay for it, flogging exec boxes, and various events. This guy actually has experience of some of that. To his credit, he probably doesn't think of that as marketing, but he probably found that this is exactly what messrs Slater and Jiminez think it is. And I'd expect nothing else from a lawyer and a property dealer.

As to what marketing in a football club actually is, that is tricky, but basically the more important part as I see it is the work which Airman and the others started in the 90s. Thinking about who the customers are, what they want and what stops them from buying the product. As he has demonstrated here many times Airman is able to discuss in great detail whether a particular price promotion actually delivered a profit and whether it might have contributed to people returning regularly ( profit in the long term).

So I think this guy will sell a good box and organize some good events. And maybe his bosses will be satisfied. It's not what I call marketing, but either way, the responsibility lies with the people who hired him, as it always does in management hiring.

But presumably PT Prothero would know better? I doubt if Jimenez has been involved.
  • Options
    There is so much bollocks talked about on this site, it does make me laugh.

Just give the bloke a chance ffs, before we slag him off.
  • Options
    Blimey, is this guy the new Wilson/Kerkar, i.e. the new recruit that everyone will slag off?

None of know what he did at Arsenal, what he proposed at the interview, what the club are looking for, so let's give him a chance.

What I'd be interested in, is what his job actually entails, is the main emphasis marketing the club to the fans, i.e. getting more bums on seats, or is he there to sell us to the corporate world, i.e. sponsorship, lounges, boxes etc
  • Options
    Prague - your definition of marketing is as good as I've heard. However your conclusion may be wrong. There is every sign that S&J fully supported the marketing initiatives that Airman was promoting. Rightly or wrongly it seems that it was the person they didn't like not the initiatives. Only time will tell.
  • Options
    Ben is good bloke. Will do a good job for us. Told you a month or so ago he was coming....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2013
    redman said:

Prague - your definition of marketing is as good as I've heard. However your conclusion may be wrong. There is every sign that S&J fully supported the marketing initiatives that Airman was promoting. Rightly or wrongly it seems that it was the person they didn't like not the initiatives. Only time will tell.

In fairness they took no interest whatsoever in what I was doing, which was fine with me!
  • Options
    edited January 2013

I think I can work out what is behind this apparently odd choice, but it involves a bit of discussion about what marketing actually is, so a lot of you may choose to tune out now.
    When I went into marketing it was a serious career in big consumer goods companies, led by P&G and Unilever. In my own case it was United Biscuits, God preserve their Hobnobs. Over the years the term has been much more widely adopted by all kind of two bob companies - in this case football clubs are two bob companies - but they often only have hazy idea of what marketing is. There ar various definitions, but my favorite is that of the late lamented Professor Peter Doyle of Warwick University, and it is " the matching of what customers need and want, with what the company can produce or provide, in a way which maximizes long term profit". Note that this implies listening to your customers in the first place, and note "long term". Short term profit is produced by good salespeople. They can sell a bad product, once. In football clubs you generally find that the marketing person seems to be measured by finding something crass to sponsor and getting people to pay for it, flogging exec boxes, and various events. This guy actually has experience of some of that. To his credit, he probably doesn't think of that as marketing, but he probably found that this is exactly what messrs Slater and Jiminez think it is. And I'd expect nothing else from a lawyer and a property dealer.

As to what marketing in a football club actually is, that is tricky, but basically the more important part as I see it is the work which Airman and the others started in the 90s. Thinking about who the customers are, what they want and what stops them from buying the product. As he has demonstrated here many times Airman is able to discuss in great detail whether a particular price promotion actually delivered a profit and whether it might have contributed to people returning regularly ( profit in the long term).

So I think this guy will sell a good box and organize some good events. And maybe his bosses will be satisfied. It's not what I call marketing, but either way, the responsibility lies with the people who hired him, as it always does in management hiring.

But presumably PT Prothero would know better? I doubt if Jimenez has been involved.
    Yes you would presume Prothero would have some kind of strategic grasp of marketing. If I thought Prothero was doing the big picture and this guy was doing the executional stuff, I could understand it, but Prothero as you remind us is only part time, and meanwhile they have given this poor guy an absurdly grand title to live up to.
  • Options
    I wouldn't say he has no marketing experience.
  • Options

Yes you would presume Prothero would have some kind of strategic grasp of marketing. If I thought Prothero was doing the big picture and this guy was doing the executional stuff, I could understand it, but Prothero as you remind us is only part time, and meanwhile they have given this poor guy an absurdly grand title to live up to.
    It could be that it isn't a marketing role at all and they have been calling it that for other purposes.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    He'll be flogging tickets and promoting the club not operating on cardiac arrest patients nor safety checking passenger Boeing 747 jet engines.

Maybe let's have one thread about a management decision on here that doesn't immediately try to shoe horn in thinly veiled criticism of the board/ the club eh?

Sitting nicely outside the relegation zone, ticket prices still reasonable and thus far kept our best players and signs suggest we'll likely complete the season.

As a joe average Charlton supporter can't see much wrong with where we are today compared to a few short years ago when every action/ appointment was probably deemed a stroke of genius.

P'raps I'm just naive.
  • Options
    I've heard he'd make a good midfielder: Ken Ken Kenseller
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    The new scapegoat
  • Options

He'll be flogging tickets and promoting the club not operating on cardiac arrest patients nor safety checking passenger Boeing 747 jet engines.

Maybe let's have one thread about a management decision on here that doesn't immediately try to shoe horn in thinly veiled criticism of the board/ the club eh?

Sitting nicely outside the relegation zone, ticket prices still reasonable and thus far kept our best players and signs suggest we'll likely complete the season.

As a joe average Charlton supporter can't see much wrong with where we are today compared to a few short years ago when every action/ appointment was probably deemed a stroke of genius.

P'raps I'm just naive.

Agree 100%.

Maybe the club should hold a public interview next time they want to hire someone. Or how about a phone vote via a premium rate number?
  • Options
    Will he read Charlton Life? That is the most important question.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Will he read Charlton Life? That is the most important question.

Course he will ...we make all the important decisions ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Qualified for the job/not qualified for the job,as long as we can argue about it he's served his purpose.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

P'raps I'm just naive.

Agree 100%.

Maybe the club should hold a public interview next time they want to hire someone. Or how about a phone vote via a premium rate number?
    Off_it Member
    6:58PM
    Eh? He has no marketing experience but he's got the job of Chief Marketing Officer - is that a joke?
  • Options

Off_it said:

P'raps I'm just naive.

Agree 100%.

Off_it Member
    Eh? He has no marketing experience but he's got the job of Chief Marketing Officer - is that a joke?
    And?

I was replying to Henry's first post and asking if it was a joke. It didnt sound right to me and i thought our Enry mightve been having a little giggle.

That was before the usual suspects came on looking to sling shit at the board, again.

That alright with you?
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Off_it said:

P'raps I'm just naive.

Agree 100%.

Off_it Member
    And?

I was replying to Henry's first post and asking if it was a joke. It didnt sound right to me and i thought our Enry mightve been having a little giggle.

That was before the usual suspects came on looking to sling shit at the board, again.

That alright with you?
    don't always agree with you, but I don't think you contradicted yourself, I get what you're saying. When I saw Kensell was announced, I was sure of a few things on here, and people like Prague having a pop was one of the certainties. I don't dislike you by the way Prague, but you and a few others on here need to give TJ and MS a break sometimes.
  • Options
    CHG said:

Chelsea fan, not that that matters.

So he's only know football has existed for about 8 years? Great.
  • Options
    Is he Belgian? Or Moroccan?
  • Options
    Does he go to away games ?
  • Options
    Well said Rodney

If there is one thing that has tainted my enjoyment of this site over the last year it's the constant mud slinging against the board

It can be expected from bitter ex employees its when it's done by people who are so clearly so gullable they believe every line of bullshit that they want to hear

I wish the new appointment well although I bet he will be crucified if one of the buses breaks down on the a2
  • Options
    If he goes to Blackburn today he'll be allright, If he doesn't...........