Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pistorious (pg 26 - now charged with Murder)

Comments

• Options

Is it just me or are these jokes a) not funny & b) in really poor taste?

A young woman has died for heavens sake and another young man's life is in pieces.

Agree.
  • Options
    Unfortunately we have become jaded and cynical over the years.

10yrs ago we would all have thought it was a tragic accident, however we have been fooled to many times and so it's natural to be suspicious.

I truly hope it's a tragic accident.
  • Options
    nolly said:

There is more to this

kinda thinking the same, the fact a 3rd person in the house made the call is a bit strange.
    Either way, RIP
  • Options
    Charged with murder
  • Options
    Why do so many people have guns ?
  • Options

You would if you were white and lived out there
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Quite soon to be charging him I'd say, the veracity of the "explanation" doesn't look encouraging
  • Options
    sky saying there was reports of a domestic at the same place earlier in evening and bail refused... seems there is more to the story
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:

Why live out there then ?
    I know its wrong to feel that you have to.
    But if you feel the need to have a gun anywhere in your home then move
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    It's a savage (and beautiful) place and I have family out there. One of my first memories is aged about 2-3 years old, watching my uncle and then young family emigrating to SA on a huge liner, as it pulled away from Southampton docks. Strange how the vision in my mind is so blurred and distant in memory but so poignant 47 years later.

Anyway, many stories filtered back over the years, apartheid of course, servants, guns. Pictures filtered back of them all sitting outside around the pool drinking cold bottles of beer, as a young kid that looked like paradise to me. As my cousins out there got older, there was the usual strife that comes with families, separations, divorces and one by one they popped back to the old country for holidays and it all sounded very strange and exotic to a youngster growing up in Eltham in the 70's. My cousin, same age as myself came back just five years ago and I got to spend some time with him. Struck me as a normal fella, on his 2nd marriage, kids, business going ok in Cape Town, but he kept talking about security, the fear of violence and the carrying of guns, alien to us in this country. We had a few beers and he went back. In 2010 he was divorcing his 2nd wife who was by the family grapevine, giving him grief over money, his business was also going down the toilet. One day he had enough, and as I was told, put his "affairs" in order, jumped in the car, went over to his estranged Mrs and shot her dead. He then blew his brains out. Two deaths, three kids and x amount of grandkids bereaved. It's a wicked world for sure but that was my first thought when I read the tragic news about Pistorious. We must NEVER allow guns to become an everyday accessory in this country.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    shine166 said:

sky saying there was reports of a domestic at the same place earlier in evening and bail refused... seems there is more to the story

thats crazy.

he seems like such a nice bloke in the interviews ive seen him in and on twitter.
  • Options
    Really really tragic. Can't imagine how he must feel if he did indeed mistake her for an intruder. I don't know if there would be a worse feeling in someone's life than that.
  • Options
    I would like to retract my post from 10:11am
  • Options

It's a savage (and beautiful) place and I have family out there. One of my first memories is aged about 2-3 years old, watching my uncle and then young family emigrating to SA on a huge liner, as it pulled away from Southampton docks. Strange how the vision in my mind is so blurred and distant in memory but so poignant 47 years later.

Anyway, many stories filtered back over the years, apartheid of course, servants, guns. Pictures filtered back of them all sitting outside around the pool drinking cold bottles of beer, as a young kid that looked like paradise to me. As my cousins out there got older, there were the usual strife that comes with families, separations, divorces and one by one they popped back to the old country for holidays and it all sounded very strange and exotic to a youngster growing up in Eltham in the 70's. My cousin, same age as myself came back just five years ago and I got to spend some time with him. Struck me as a normal fella, on his 2nd marriage, kids, business going ok in Cape Town, but he kept talking about security, the fear of violence and the carrying of guns, alien to us in this country. We had a few beers and he went back. In 2010 he was divorcing his 2nd wife who was by the family grapevine, giving him grief over money, his business was also going down the toilet. One day he had enough, and as I was told, put his "affairs" in order, jumped in the car, went over to his estranged Mrs and shot her dead. He then blew his brains out. Two deaths, three kids and x amount of grandkids bereaved. It's a wicked world for sure but that was my first thought when I read the tragic news about Pistorious. We must NEVER allow guns to become an everyday accessory in this country.

Blimey. A grim but very insightful post.

Met a lot of SA people on honeymoon in Mauritius. They painted a picture of going on holiday to relax from the tension of just living there. I resolved never to visit. A bit of aggro is one thing but guns, and the constant fear that your partner is a rape target...that's quite another.

Looking by the minute less like an accident
  • Options

J BLOCK said:

Everyone cant just move from their own country!!

Following Mark Fish on twitter been reading some horror stories about rape. the statistics are shocking. Id carry a gun if i could.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-20971240

Anyway back on topic. What a sorry tale.

• Options

I would like to retract my post from 10:11am

Delete option available.
  • Options
    a true story from a few years back. I had a security manager (indian chap with SA passport) he was formerly a sargent with the SA police. He had left SA with his wife becauseof the horrific crime. He was due to return to SA for help his 78 year mum pack up and come to the Uk. he had booked this as Xmas leave. I had a call shortley before he was to go over -------his mum had been raped and murdered !!
  • Options
    With that lawyer he will prob get off
  • Options
    edited February 2013

Is it just me or are these jokes a) not funny & b) in really poor taste?

A young woman has died for heavens sake and another young man's life is in pieces.

Not just you.

Sick jokes are fair enough sometime after an event but plain warped in my view as it unfolds.

It comes down to that old fashioned word respect.
  • Options
    edited February 2013

a true story from a few years back. I had a security manager (indian chap with SA passport) he was formerly a sargent with the SA police. He had left SA with his wife becauseof the horrific crime. He was due to return to SA for help his 78 year mum pack up and come to the Uk. he had booked this as Xmas leave. I had a call shortley before he was to go over -------his mum had been raped and murdered !!

f*cking hell
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I heard a really good one very early this morning but haven't posted it.
  • Options

J BLOCK said:

Great idea. Now if only there was some surefire way of just emigrating to wherever you felt like.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

I heard a really good one very early this morning but haven't posted it.

He should of used a blade ?

• Options
    Rose are red
    Violets are glorious
    Don't try and surprise
    Oscar Pistorious
  • Options
    It's a pity. Things would have been different if he had had real legs and an artificial gun.
  • Options
    some of the comments on here are in really bad taste. A tragedy or a crime time will tell but in the meantime show some respect. RIP to the victim.
  • Options
    Blade Gunner

Will surely be a headline
  • Options
    Now appearing in Court tomorrow morning
  • Options
    Hmmm, been reading some of the 'real-life stories' of peoples 'experiences' with South Africa and their perceived understanding of what they believe SA to be like- and it seems that everyone thinks its like the Wild West.

I lived in SA for 5 years in the 2000's, my three youngest children and ex-wife all still live in Cape Town.
    I have no poblems whatsoever with my children living in CT.
    I ,nor my children have ever experienced any problems or violence in SA - nor any of the immediate family.

TBH, i feel safer in Cape Town than i do in London - there are places you dont go after dark, but this applies to any big city in the World - after all, you wouldnt go out in Brixton after dark without thinking about it twice , would you.?
    The only reason i came back to blighty was lack of work, else I would still be there now, and i intend to go back there to live out the rest of my days.

Yes, the statistics dont look good, however, virtually all of the violence /deaths happens in the Black Ghettos - Soweto in Joburg, Khayalitcha and Guguletu in Cape Town.
    yes, most of the white areas have barbed wire and alarms and big dogs, and yes, a lot have Guns.

Most people who have never been there seem to have this preconceived idea of what SA is without really understanding the dynamics and problems that SA has - but take it from me, its a beautiful country, where you can have a beautiful lifestyle - with people who are amongst the friendliest in the world - both black,coloured,Asian or white.
  • Options
    coloured?