Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pistorious (pg 26 - now charged with Murder)

Comments

• Options
    RobRob
    edited February 2013
    Who knows what went on there but, probably, a crime of passion. (lots of those on Valentines Day). Premeditated? Hmm..... doesn't seem to fit but we will see.

Regarding South Africa itself. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the whole of Africa originally a black country that was subjected to slavery and all sorts of abuses by the white people moving in to take over and make a fortune? Weren't the indigenous people bullied, belittled, deprived of their rights for years? No wonder the whites over there are now paranoid over their safety. Maybe it's skeletons in their closets that are coming back to haunt them. Who knows. You can only keep a man down for so long you know.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

Maybe he means that when someone on here says that a relative or friend has died they get lots of condolences and 'our thougts are with you ' messages, no one would think of making a joke or crass comment.

Thank you.

• Options
    Rob said:

Who knows what went on there but, probably, a crime of passion. (lots of those on Valentines Day). Premeditated? Hmm..... doesn't seem to fit but we will see.

Regarding South Africa itself. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the whole of Africa originally a black country that was subjected to slavery and all sorts of abuses by the white people moving in to take over and make a fortune? Weren't the indigenous people bullied, belittled, deprived of their rights for years? No wonder the whites over there are now paranoid over their safety. Maybe it's skeletons in their closets that are coming back to haunt them. Who knows. You can only keep a man down for so long you know.

What a ridiculous thing to say
  • Options
    Rob said:

Wow !
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:

Rob said:

What a ridiculous thing to say
    Why? I remember back in the 80's when I was looking to work overseas the advice then was to avoid SA because of the potential for violence towards whites because of the uprising. "Sins of their fathers" and all that.

Can't see why it's ridiculous. Maybe not PC but not ridiculous.
  • Options
    Fuckin hell it's funny hour on this thread
  • Options
    I posted this on the DRS thread, but it does prove that you are not allowed firearms into a cricket match in South Africa....

http://www.capetownmagazine.com/events/South-Africa-VS-Pakistan-Cricket-Test-Series/2013-02-15/11_37_54911_121
  • Options
    not ridiculous but total boolox
  • Options

not ridiculous but total boolox

Why though? South Africa is a beautiful, majestic country where violence is an everyday fact of life. Fear of armed robberies and carjackings prompt the wealthy to take refuge in heavily guarded, gated compounds and arm themselves with handguns. I heard a SA journalist say that the best case here is that Pistorius shot her by mistake because people are so paranoid that they are ready to fire off bullets when they don't know what is coming. He also said they are such a messed up country in some ways and every now and again it comes to the surface. Why is it so ridiculous or boolox to suggest that this may possibly be directly related to a few things that have happened in the not too distant past. Has anyone not heard of apartheid?

Anyway, that's enough from me on the subject. Obviously hit a raw nerve with some people.
  • Options
    people always seem happy to jump on the Apartheid bandwagon, but seem quite unaware that this sort of policy wasnt only restricted to SA...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1390748/Racist-Australia-compared-Apartheid-South-Africa-UN-Human-Rights-commissioner.html
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Hmmm, been reading some of the 'real-life stories' of peoples 'experiences' with South Africa and their perceived understanding of what they believe SA to be like- and it seems that everyone thinks its like the Wild West.

I lived in SA for 5 years in the 2000's, my three youngest children and ex-wife all still live in Cape Town.
    I have no poblems whatsoever with my children living in CT.
    I ,nor my children have ever experienced any problems or violence in SA - nor any of the immediate family.

TBH, i feel safer in Cape Town than i do in London - there are places you dont go after dark, but this applies to any big city in the World - after all, you wouldnt go out in Brixton after dark without thinking about it twice , would you.?
    The only reason i came back to blighty was lack of work, else I would still be there now, and i intend to go back there to live out the rest of my days.

Yes, the statistics dont look good, however, virtually all of the violence /deaths happens in the Black Ghettos - Soweto in Joburg, Khayalitcha and Guguletu in Cape Town.
    yes, most of the white areas have barbed wire and alarms and big dogs, and yes, a lot have Guns.

Most people who have never been there seem to have this preconceived idea of what SA is without really understanding the dynamics and problems that SA has - but take it from me, its a beautiful country, where you can have a beautiful lifestyle - with people who are amongst the friendliest in the world - both black,coloured,Asian or white.

I have lived in Sa and predominantly Cape Town for the last 17 years and although our lives have been touched by crime, its not the wild west where everybody is a gun carrying hick.
    The people are dynamic and friendly and while crime can be a problem, it is a fantastic place to live and bring up a family. Its unfortunate than when a story of such high profile comes up every crime statistic is dragged up by media mongers everywhere and the balanced view of a beautiful country is smeared.
    For those of you who think I may be wearing rose coloured specs(not an uncommon accessory amongst Charlton fans) I'm not, I'm just tossing in a view from the country itself.
    The Oscar story has shocked the nation, the man is a sporting and national icon, although as we discovered with Lance Armstrong and many before this does not make them perfect as a human being. Heres hoping that justice takes place and we find out what actually happened.
  • Options
    As you say fanatic maybe the problem is how keen we are to make sporting stars heroes and role models and then how disappointed we are when the likes of armstrong, gazza and maybe oscar don't live up to the standard we have imposed on them.

• Options
    edited February 2013

Is it just me or are these jokes a) not funny & b) in really poor taste?

A young woman has died for heavens sake and another young man's life is in pieces.

The dead woman is not a Charlton fan so doesnt afford much respect...shoot me down if I'm wrong.

Weird but not surprised due to previous crass comments. If you have no respect for the woman, then it's best to keep your powder dry.
  • Options
    I'm sure SA is a beautiful place but the fact remains, its has a high gun crime rate.

Quotes from above posters are noy selling the place to me.

"Yes, the statistics dont look good, however, virtually all of the violence /deaths happens in the Black Ghettos - Soweto in Joburg, Khayalitcha and Guguletu in Cape Town.
    yes, most of the white areas have barbed wire and alarms and big dogs, and yes, a lot have Guns. "

"I have lived in Sa and predominantly Cape Town for the last 17 years and although our lives have been touched by crime, its not the wild west where everybody is a gun carrying hick."

"The people are dynamic and friendly and while crime can be a problem, it is a fantastic place to live and bring up a family."

I've never lived there but I have friends and family who have, they could have written the above lines as well. I'm sticking with with less dynamic (whatever that means), gun less people of Locksbottom Kent.
  • Options
    Can't believe he pleaded not guilty he hasn't got a leg to stand on.
  • Options
    Unless i am wrong and i stand to be corrected i took may be babys comments as a dig at you guys who were cracking jokes at the death of a young woman not the fact she had died

• Options
    I lived in Johannesburg for three months. It really was like the Wild West. In that short space of time I got mugged at gunpoint and had an AK-47 pointed at me through a car windshield. I won't be going back...
  • Options
    I went on tour to SA in 2005 with my school and we stayed with some families from the schools whilst we were in Durban. One night the house I stayed in had a house party for all the boys who had played that day but they didn't invite any of the black or asian kids from their year. This meant that any of our mates who were staying with them weren't invited either. This showed us that their was still a real race issue over there,even though these kids were friends at school they wouldn't mix at home.

Every house I stayed in was surrounded by security fences and barbed wire. Our captain stayed at the house of a Durban local who had got a scholarship to this sports mad private school,and the house was in a rough area with no security fence outside. When he was shown to his room the Dad handed him a baseball bat and told him to keep it by the bed just in case.

I've worked with south africans since from all over the country and they all moved here for safety,telling horror stories about gunpoint muggings and friend/family member's murders.

I had a great 3 weeks out there,met some great people from all walks of life and saw some beautiful scenery. To me,as fantastic as my tour was,and as grateful I am to have had such an oppurtunity, I won't ever be going back to SA

• Options
    edited February 2013

I lived in Johannesburg for three months. It really was like the Wild West. In that short space of time I got mugged at gunpoint and had an AK-47 pointed at me through a car windshield. I won't be going back...

Did they want your Charlton Season Ticket ??
  • Options

Ha it was the 08/09 season so I doubt it! I got mugged for my phone and wallet with a gun pointed at my chest before he jumped in his car and sped off. The guy with the AK-47 was "hired security" for a club we had been at. However, all I was told was to get out of the car - by a guy in jeans, trainers, a t-shirt....with an AK!! You can obviously imagine what was going through my head.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

You can obviously imagine what was going through my head.
    Yeah, totally,....'this is just like Friday night in the Old Kent Road' !

• Options
    Rob said:

Wow! Charlton Life's looney lefties at their best, if you apply your own logic I would be more concerned about being British if I was you, I cant begin to contemplate how someone could ever think that was an ok thing to say, please never vote.

• Options
    Blah, blah blah. You just don't get what I'm saying do you.
  • Options
    No I really do I just don't know how you could think its right, by your logic if you ever come across a man/woman who is of Aborginal decent they have every right to mug/rap/kill you because of the "skeletons in your closet"
  • Options
    RobRob
    edited February 2013
    I never said I thought it was right. And of course I don't think they have a 'right' to do it. But it's a fact of life that people do hold grievances from atrocities that have been commited against their people in the past. That's what I was suggesting bubbles under the surface in SA. And, of course I understand the English have done their fair share of raping and pillaging through the centuries. Sigh.
  • Options
    Dont backtrack, what you said is there for all to see.
    Sigh
  • Options
    You have to take a shot in the dark to make up a decent Oscar Pistorius joke.
  • Options

Dont backtrack, what you said is there for all to see.
    Sigh

Where did I say I thought it was right though? I never did. But, human nature is what it is. No backtracking here pal.
  • Options
    I aint your pal, far from it.
  • Options
    Whatever Benny