Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wenger -Are we nearing the end?

Comments

• Options
    Best footballing side in England?

United, Swansea, City, Spurs Chelsea etc
  • Options

Best footballing side in England?

United, Swansea, City, Spurs Chelsea etc

Ha ha. Thougt you were serious for a minute ;0)

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Arsenal fans would sooner see their club in millions of debt and a bit of silverwear in the cabinet, being the fickle bunch that football supporters generally are, or they'd be supporting HSBC or Barcleys banks...
  • Options
    ....also, I do think that some foreign managers are guilty of not taking the FA Cup seriously, Wenger being the first to do so and the worst.
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

....also, I do think that some foreign managers are guilty of not taking the FA Cup seriously, Wenger being the first to do so and the worst.

No Englishman was won the FA cup more times than Wenger.

In the time Wenger has been a manager in England, he has won the FA cup more often than any other manager.

Don't think being foreign or English or British has any impact on how managers treat the FA cup. All the top level managers treat it as a second rate competition, which it is, whether you, I or anyone else would wish otherwise.
  • Options

No Englishman was won the FA cup more times than Wenger.

Ashley Cole has. He's won it 7 times.

All this "in his time in English football" rubbish. He's won it four times and he's managed a top club for a lot longer than most ever do. It's about how many times you've won it. He doesn't respect it.
  • Options
    There's a Russian who owns a load of Arsenal and wants to take over and plough loads of money in but he can't because the American(I think) who owns most of what he wants to buy is trying to squeeze the Rusky into buying his American football/baseball or whatever team it is he owns for top dollar as well
    So maybe if that gets sorted then the shackles might be off and they can get a bit looser with the purse strings
  • Options

Arsenal fans need to think long and hard before they start seriously wishing for his head.

I agree. for me, the only issue Arsenal have got is that his latest team didn't turn out to be as good as he hoped. The likes of Gervinho or Rosicky.

I am hopeful he'll get to spend some money on a new 2-3 plan to build a team, and prove people wrong. The guy predicted his team would go undefeated for a whole season. And they did. I don't care how many times people say 'football has moved on' 'cos I don't think it has. Not to the extent that Wenger is now obsolete.

Sure he's a bad loser, and his demeanour makes him an easy target for lame onion and disgusting paedo jokes. But from what I've heard, he's a remarkably nice chap too. And hasn't lost anything more than his temper, and he has every right to have lost that.

Some of the generic stuff spouted on here (someone using the word 'unexcusable' in one post, with another demeaning his grasp of the English language in another), and in the press is sad. But without another manager to hound, he's going to get it in the neck, and people will repeat what they read until this imaginary 'pressure' costs him his job. I for one hope it doesn't.
    PL54 said:

"I would have thought his sentence construction would have been better by now. But WTF do I know (or care)."

Wenger speaks English and German fluently, and has conversational ability in Spanish, Italian and Japanese. So, indeed, WTF do you know? If Mancini wins the Prem this year, should Man City sack him because he can only structure a sentence marginally better than Harry Redknapp?
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Arsenal fans need to think long and hard before they start seriously wishing for his head.

I agree. for me, the only issue Arsenal have got is that his latest team didn't turn out to be as good as he hoped. The likes of Gervinho or Rosicky.

I am hopeful he'll get to spend some money on a new 2-3 plan to build a team, and prove people wrong. The guy predicted his team would go undefeated for a whole season. And they did. I don't care how many times people say 'football has moved on' 'cos I don't think it has. Not to the extent that Wenger is now obsolete.

Sure he's a bad loser, and his demeanour makes him an easy target for lame onion and disgusting paedo jokes. But from what I've heard, he's a remarkably nice chap too. And hasn't lost anything more than his temper, and he has every right to have lost that.

Some of the generic stuff spouted on here (someone using the word 'unexcusable' in one post, with another demeaning his grasp of the English language in another), and in the press is sad. But without another manager to hound, he's going to get it in the neck, and people will repeat what they read until this imaginary 'pressure' costs him his job. I for one hope it doesn't.
    PL54 said:

"I would have thought his sentence construction would have been better by now. But WTF do I know (or care)."

Wenger speaks English and German fluently, and has conversational ability in Spanish, Italian and Japanese. So, indeed, WTF do you know? If Mancini wins the Prem this year, should Man City sack him because he can only structure a sentence marginally better than Harry Redknapp?
    I only skim read your dissertation (some of the words were far too complicated for me) but why the big love-in ?
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Wenger is certainly not fluent in English.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

JiMMy 85 said:

Wenger speaks English and German fluently, and has conversational ability in Spanish, Italian and Japanese. So, indeed,
    Wenger is certainly not fluent in English.
    Hes more fluent than Jamie Carragher

• Options
    Fluency is often confused with accuracy. A language can be spoken 'fluently' without easily being understood. I've had students who spoke 'fluently' but who simply made up for their shortcomings by direct tranlations from French to English. I sometimes do the same myself when speaking French. As a result such a person becomes somewhat incomprehensible. Wenger normally shows quite a good command of English; he lacks a bit of vocabulary but he does well overall. What happened the other day was that (rightly or wrongly) he got angry and frustrated. It is very difficult to express oneself in another language when experiencing these emotions. He couldn't express how he felt and went to pieces.
  • Options
    P.S: Whatever he says in English and however he says it, if you could listen to him in French you might very likely conclude like me that he's a git.
  • Options
    Does anybody believe that the Arsenal board are wanting to spend money and Wenger is refusing to? Doubt it - the problem is that his management skills can only get you through so much -considering what Arsenal have spent and the players they have lost he has done a terrific job. Arsenal have a business plan and it is a sound and sustainable one, the board will either panic or if they want to keep to the same model, will not want a new manager who will require them dipping deep into their pockets. Wenger may of course walk, and it will be Arsenal's loss I suspect.
  • Options
    He's gotta go after this!
  • Options
    I can't believe the Arsenal defending for the two goals, so flat footed and out of position. Was a fairly even game up until then.
  • Options
    Nothing can go wrong now............
  • Options
    Actually thought Jenkinson played really well today
  • Options
    His decision on a high-line and refusal to take off Giroud shows how inept he's been lately.

Who plays a high-line (with a defence that includes Mertesaker), against an attacking team featuring Bale and Lennon? It's moronic.
  • Options
    Quite frankly, who gives a damn :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    only problem was they lost to another load of gobby tossers today
  • Options
    It wasn't so long ago that the press and Tottenham's "support" wanted AVB out.
  • Options
    edited March 2013

Fluency is often confused with accuracy. A language can be spoken 'fluently' without easily being understood.

In that case I can fluently speak Chinese, Japanese, French, Dutch,German and Russian........I wont easily be understood but it will be fluent.

• Options

It wasn't so long ago that the press and Tottenham's "support" wanted AVB out.

Dont think thats an entirely fair comment tbh. Yes, AVB had a few doubters, especially from the supporters that couldnt get their heads around the fact that Harry had taken us as far as he could and they let it be known after a few indifferent results. But lets be honest, it was more than a tough start. We'd lost Modric and vdV, King had retired, Kaboul, Assou-Ekotto, Parker and Adebayor were injured, it was a lot to cope with. On top of that, AVB switched systems and was always going to take time to adapt to it.

AVB deserves a lot of credit. We're playing much more progressive football now than we ever did under Harry.

His decision on a high-line and refusal to take off Giroud shows how inept he's been lately.

Who plays a high-line (with a defence that includes Mertesaker), against an attacking team featuring Bale and Lennon? It's moronic.

But to be fair to Wenger, thats normally the best way to play against Spurs. A high back line and flood the midfield, exactly what they done yesterday. They certainly dominated in midfield, just didnt create many chances and were let down by defenders not tracking runners from deep.

• Options
    Quality word pillock. Cuts like mug or shlag
  • Options
    Steve McLaren's looking for a job....
  • Options
    It has to be his last season. They've now got no chance of winning the group which means they'll probably get a group winner in the 2nd round and go out. They're miles behind Chelsea in the PL in my opinion, so that leaves the FA Cup again. They made a dog's dinner of winning that as well.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Rumour has it he'll step down in the summer to be replaced by a British manager. Paul Clement has been linked.
  • Options

Rumour has it he'll step down in the summer to be replaced by a British manager. Paul Clement has been linked.

Koo man
  • Options
    Boring top 4 premiership football for 15 odd years.

Sack him now!