Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Danny Murphy

Comments

• Options

Brought nothing to the programme I thought. He's just an unlikeable character.

this but really enjoyed motd I have missed the footie bad

• Options
    Typical BBC all norvenors! What about a suvenor to balance it up a bit!?
  • Options
    I wonder if there will ever be a pundit who doesn't get slated from all corners ? GNev ?

I actually thought he was ok, the levels of analysis is never going to he incredibly deep on MOTD, they just don't have time for that.

In other countries (Italy & Turkey that I've seen and probably other places) after a matchday there will be four or five hour shows that dissect absolutely every aspect of the top flight games that day, now that's analysis !
  • Options
    Only saw a little bit and he rates Darren Bent amd was bullish of his prospects at Fulham
  • Options
    forgot to look. Did he have his watch on?
  • Options

forgot to look. Did he have his watch on?

I've heard it's bigger than some bloke's semi!
  • Options
    I thought he was pretty good and I dislike him as much as the next cafc fan. Mind you, I even thought Shearer was OK, in that he pointed out something I hadn't seen (that Villa's 2nd pen was correct and why), so maybe I'm softening in my old age.
  • Options

Found myself swearing at the shoulder-less little creep with the big watch, while usually I snooze happily through the banal ramblings of Shearer and Hansen- so he must have added something..
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:

I thought he was pretty good and I dislike him as much as the next cafc fan. Mind you, I even thought Shearer was OK, in that he pointed out something I hadn't seen (that Villa's 2nd pen was correct and why), so maybe I'm softening in my old age.

Yes, Murphy wasn't bad, and Shearer actually made some interesting points...
  • Options
    Has Murphy actually retired or is he looking for a new club?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Whoever you put on MOTD, people will moan and say they know nothing.

I don't like Murphy personally (for the same reasons as everybody else), but to give him credit, I thought that some of his analysis was insightful and he didn't do too badly given it was his first attempt. I really don't think any of them were that bad, for that matter - it's only footie highlights FFS....people do seem to get very worked up by it for some reason!
  • Options
    Didn't think Murphy did a bad job yesterday at all. Did the basics and I liked the focus on that Barkley, if he continues on the right path he could be a very decent player. Under excellent guidance in Martinez aswell as he looks like a good pass and move type player.
  • Options
    At least Murphy will be interested in talking about other clubs apart from the ones he played for whereas I feel the likes of Hansen and Shearer are only bothered about Liverpool/Newcastle.

Big ste is right though - most watch for the action anyway.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

Nug said:

masicat said:

Spoke to someone about Murphy last week. Very disliked among his fellow pros by all accounts. Apparently a big headed little twat..

I always really liked Murphy and stuck up for him on many occasions, great footballer, but if that's true, very disappointed, no idea why you need to be big-headed about being lucky enough to be a pro footballer.

My recollection is that he played mister big bollocks when with us, one incident was something about treating catering staff like they were dirt.

Story I heard was that he had a receptionist at the main entrance in tears. Something on the lines of his wristwatch being worth more than she would earn in a lifetime, nice fella if true eh!
  • Options
    The story I heard about him centered around the time he got man of the match. After that 'performance' he never got it again.
  • Options

The story I heard about him centered around the time he got man of the match. After that 'performance' he never got it again.

You can't just leave it there!
  • Options
    Well, apparently, he told everyone he shouldn't have to do this . . . he shouldn't be here . . . was less than gracious to the sponsors and everyone . . . plenty of swearing etc. The club afterwards made sure he never got man of the match again no matter how well he played! Is that enough :).

I don't want to expand any more about the little shit. I haven't watched MOTD for a while - I certainly won't 'tune-in' again in the future.

Thanks for listening!
  • Options
    I don't like the bloke - but thought his analysis was actually pretty good. Certainly better than that twonk Hansen. Whatever you say about Murphy, he's clearly more intelligent than the average footballer.
  • Options

Well, apparently, he told everyone he shouldn't have to do this . . . he shouldn't be here . . . was less than gracious to the sponsors and everyone . . . plenty of swearing etc. The club afterwards made sure he never got man of the match again no matter how well he played! Is that enough :).

I don't want to expand any more about the little shit. I haven't watched MOTD for a while - I certainly won't 'tune-in' again in the future.

Thanks for listening!

Thanks, it's about what I expected!
  • Options
    I know Aaron Lennon refused to receive the MOTM award at Spurs once despite all the pleading from old pros and everyone and was happy to wear the £5k fine instead of going up to do his duties

you'd think no matter how stupid footballers are they'd understand the common courtesy of respecting the sponsors etc
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Any truth that he is "the secret footballer" ?
  • Options

Any truth that he is "the secret footballer" ?

You mean, as serialised by The Guardian? I thought he was unmasked as Dave Kitson.

• Options
    Very good player but an unlikeable person. Didn't think he had anything interesting to say at all so logically he will fit MOTD perfectly.
  • Options
    v boring pundit....best way to watch MOTD is on sky+ on a Sunday morning
  • Options
    I thought he was ok, bit quiet but as pointed out Gary Linekar didnt really get him involved much. Thought the show was ok too, nothing to shout about but didnt annoy me :)
  • Options
    Thing about Murphy is yeh he left us in a bad way too big for his boots thought he was better then Charlton etc but....

We didn't replace him... he was a very good passer of the ball and our only creative spark. He gave us a couple of years and was decent.

• Options
    ...has announced his retirement.

Bang goes those premiere invites....
  • Options
    This title should read
    Danny Murphy is a .....
  • Options
    Added to the long list of former Charlton players who has become a pundit.
  • Options
    I'm really enjoying Murphy's co-commentary. He's a bit dull in the presenting bits but he's got a good style when voicing matches. Might be a bit dour for some, but to me he's just laid back. He doesn't spend too much time telling people what they should have done ala Clarke Carlisle or Mark Bright.