Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Danny Murphy

Comments

• Options
    Everytime I see him I just think he looks like a recovered druggie.
  • Options
    As much as i hate to say it he's not too bad as a co commentator. He is growing on me.
  • Options
    Doesn't stop laughing at his own 'jokes'
  • Options
    he is surprisingly good and articulate. Beats that useless Andy 'go on son, hit it' Townsend
  • Options

Murphy must have irked me tonight cos Shearer never really bothered me and I despise that Geordie prick.

tosser when with us, tosser now...
  • Options
    He is pretty good, to be fair - especially when you look at the alternatives
  • Options
    Good 'expert', do me a favour! The commentator says something and Murphy says 'exactly', or 'you took the words right out of my mouth', or 'I was just about to say that', or 'I was just thinking that'...he is the same crap as most of them in my view.
  • Options
    Harsh. I think he has plenty to say. He's agreeable with Guy Mobraw because they have a good rapport.
  • Options
    Love the irony about a player getting sent off and letting his team mates, family and friends down.....is that how he felt when he got himself sent off? Nah i didnt think so!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    does a great Ron Atkinson impersonation
  • Options
    Really got on my nerves in that game - praising the CR players for laying it all on the line, running themselves into the ground - as if he ever did that! And what an appalling old sweatshirt he was wearing when shown before the match - you think he could afford better than that!
  • Options
    I think he's pretty good. He offers genuine insight into being a player and talks as he sees it, not in a media trained, cliche driven way.
    Shearer and Lineaker on the other hand......bloody terrible.
    Shearer says absolutely nothing interesting. He just states the obvious.
    Linekar simply slags off what the BBC do with a smirk and bloody terrible jokes.
    Has anyone been watched Baker and Kelly Not In Rio on BT Sports?
    That's been the best World Cup prog.
  • Options

Glad it's not just me who thinks that.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Good 'expert', do me a favour! The commentator says something and Murphy says 'exactly', or 'you took the words right out of my mouth', or 'I was just about to say that', or 'I was just thinking that'...he is the same crap as most of them in my view.

I was thinking exactly the same whilst watching the Costa Rica v Netherlands game last night.

• Options

Glad it's not just me who thinks that.
    actually thought my ears were deceiving me and it was ron atkinson co-commentating until i remembered he was sacked years ago!

• Options
    Another of our former players who makes a decent fist of analysis is Danny Mills, on Radio 5 Live.

The worst co-commentator in the history of broadcasting was Peter Beardsley, on BBC TV. He used to preface every single comment with "To be fair...". I counted 38 in one game. He soon got the heave-ho, to be fair.
  • Options
    Better than most of the pundits but then he's new to the business!
  • Options

Another of our former players who makes a decent fist of analysis is Danny Mills, on Radio 5 Live.

The worst co-commentator in the history of broadcasting was Peter Beardsley, on BBC TV. He used to preface every single comment with "To be fair...". I counted 38 in one game. He soon got the heave-ho, to be fair.

When Danny Mills is asked a question, or when he's trying really hard to explain something, he does a kind of snorting noise that you'd expect to hear from a teenager who is disgusted to have been asked to take the rubbish bins out.

Really got on my nerves in that game - praising the CR players for laying it all on the line, running themselves into the ground - as if he ever did that! And what an appalling old sweatshirt he was wearing when shown before the match - you think he could afford better than that!

I don't agree that either of those criticisms are valid in regards to his ability to commentate a match. I think there's a lot of bitterness from our fans regarding the man, which to me is a bit lame.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

When Danny Mills is asked a question, or when he's trying really hard to explain something, he does a kind of snorting noise that you'd expect to hear from a teenager who is disgusted to have been asked to take the rubbish bins out.

I don't agree that either of those criticisms are valid in regards to his ability to commentate a match. I think there's a lot of bitterness from our fans regarding the man, which to me is a bit lame.
    Yeah, I noticed that - it has become an irritating habit. Someone should have a word with him.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Firmly in the Gary Neville camp so every other pundit on telly is boring, miserable and doesn't really know what they're talking about.

Murphy's still miles better than mark "I don't want to be here, all the BBC viewers are sad and don't have lives" lawrenson
  • Options
    Sorry, Danny Mills is tainted for me because he is the enthusiast in chief for the stupid premier league 'B' team idea.
  • Options
    Danny Murphy has been very good as a commentator, I've enjoyed listening to him.
  • Options
    I think there's a lot of bitterness from our fans regarding the man, which to me is a bit lame.

I think that goes both ways! Never hear him speak of his time with us. In fact last night Guy Mowbray mentioned Bolanos having nearly followed him to Charlton. DM didn't even acknowledge it
  • Options
    Leaving aside the way he left us, I think Murphy will be on our screens a lot from now on, as out of the new generation that the BBC have tried out as pundits and co-commentators, he's definitely one of the best
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:

I think there's a lot of bitterness from our fans regarding the man, which to me is a bit lame.

I think that goes both ways! Never hear him speak of his time with us. In fact last night Guy Mowbray mentioned Bolanos having nearly followed him to Charlton. DM didn't even acknowledge it

he never talks about it, makes me think he's taking the "if you cant say anything nice, dont say anything at all" line. I remember on talksport with chris powell after he was sacked, murphy didn't really say anything when CP said "as danny would know about charlton we don't do cup runs..." etc.
  • Options

Haha. Used to play a similar game with Robbie Savage - he's got a bit better now but he used to say "Y'know" at least once a sentence. Gave up counting. Cannot believe our licence fee pays for these twats

• Options
    Taxi_Lad said:

It's probably difficult to acknowledge us when we chant that his wife is a whore.
  • Options
    jac52 said:

Haha. Used to play a similar game with Robbie Savage - he's got a bit better now but he used to say "Y'know" at least once a sentence. Gave up counting. Cannot believe our licence fee pays for these twats

Another phrase beloved of commentators and pundits is "There's no question about that" or "There's no doubt about that", appended to an opinion to give it weight. Motson, Claridge, and especially dear old Graham Taylor are all at it, and it's nothing new - I remember Jimmy Hill during a World Cup in the 1980s saying a particular player "is arguably the best in the world - There's no doubt about that."

This evening on Radio 5 Live, Danny Mills is still doing that strange snorting noise at the start of every sentence. There's no question about that.

• Options

Murphy must have irked me tonight cos Shearer never really bothered me and I despise that Geordie prick.

tosser when with us, tosser now...
    Exactly. Didn't like the way he treated our club. I bet he wouldn't dare treat a girlfriend like that.