Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Reading sack Brian McDermott

Comments

• Options
    Well said ormiston
  • Options

Well I'd say he had it coming tbf. For most of the season the analysts have been pointing out that it's oh so easy to get down their flanks & they conceed so many goals this way. Yet he's done nothing to address this. The left back, Harte ( he's about 50 :-) & was playing in Div 3 for Carlisle a couple of years ago, is about as quick as Doherty & on Saturday he couldn't even stand up. He just fell over with no one near him.

Most weeks their defence gets ripped by the opposition & by the analysts, yet he's done nowt about it.

He hasn't had much money to spend though has he? He might be playing weak players but if that's ll he has to work with then that's all he has to work with.

I think the recent defeats to Wigan and Aston Villa, have done it for him. Their next four games are Man Utd, Arsenal, Southampton and Liverpool and they have Man City at home the week before the end of the season. Realistically I can't see them getting out of it so they replace a manager that knows the Championship with, presumably, a mercenary that won't care about the club and will probably be gone by this time next year if they don't run away the league next season.

If they'd spent millions on transfers and committed more millions on wages then I'd understand it, but I would have thought that they could make a real challenge to go straight back up with the money they must've made (and not spent) this season.

I think it's, probably, a mistake but I guess we need to wait and see who they bring in. Curbishley would be a good bet to bring them back up but McDermott has already won the Championship and at some point new managers have got to be trusted to take these clubs forward. just because Curbishley (and his generation) has done it in the past (it was 15 years ago that we won the playoffs) doesn't mean that new managers can't do it now!
  • Options
    must have been money available as they were trying to tie up a deal for Tom Ince for over 6m. Agree though that it is another shocking decision. Funny thing is on MOTD2 Kevin Day spoke to their Chairman who said they had a long term plan and that everyone had bought into it. Except himself by the look of it.
  • Options
    Two of their main signings have been from League One - Hope Akpan and Nick Blackman. Both have played for the first team this season.
    It seemed that was part of a 'building for the future, don't break the bank, if we get relegated we'll come back stronger' mantra. Problem is, you need to keep the manager for that to work. Bad move sacking him IMHO.
  • Options
    Parkinson?
  • Options
    He may be a bit of a clown their chairman masicat

But not that stupid
  • Options
    The weird thing is if Parky got the job I think more of our fans would hope he done well than if Curbs got the job !!
    Cos you just know all those who were (secretly) glad when Curbs left are still desperate to say he wasn't all that etc
  • Options
    Of those available I would take Steve Mclaran.
    Think curbs has been away to long.
    DiCanio would be a huge risk, most of the other usual suspects aren't high profile or have failure all over their cv's.
    DiMateo won't take the job after Chelsea.

Saying that, expect a surprise foreign manager to get the job.
  • Options

Well I'd say he had it coming tbf. For most of the season the analysts have been pointing out that it's oh so easy to get down their flanks & they conceed so many goals this way. Yet he's done nothing to address this. The left back, Harte ( he's about 50 :-) & was playing in Div 3 for Carlisle a couple of years ago, is about as quick as Doherty & on Saturday he couldn't even stand up. He just fell over with no one near him.

Most weeks their defence gets ripped by the opposition & by the analysts, yet he's done nowt about it.

To be fair the Russian owner has hardly swamped him with funds, has he?
    Exactly. I don't for one minute believe he thought Ian Harte was a long term Premier starter, any more than Powelly believed Andy Hughes could be a first choice right back if there wasn't Chris Solly
  • Options
    Is it another Russian with no dough or not enough dough to run a club
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2013
    Reading fans have been waiting to see which way the new owner would fall, as to whether he would follow John Madjeski, I think they have their answer now.

Mrs MAM is a Royal, and not a happy bunny this morning, but takes some comfort in the fact that Curbs may be in with a shout.

If they accept relegation now, he could be the man to take them back up. He was on Sky on Sunday giving an honest appraisal of the West Ham fiasco which he knows has done him some damage.

Would be good to see him back.
  • Options

Reading fans have been waiting to see which way the new owner would fall, as to whether he would follow John Madjeski, I think they have their answer now.

Mrs MAM is a Royal, and not a happy bunny this morning, but takes some comfort in the fact that Curbs may be in with a shout.

If they accept relegation now, he could be the man to take them back up. He was on Sky on Sunday giving an honest appraisal of the West Ham fiasco which he knows has done him some damage.

What was he saying about West Ham?
  • Options

must have been money available as they were trying to tie up a deal for Tom Ince for over 6m. Agree though that it is another shocking decision. Funny thing is on MOTD2 Kevin Day spoke to their Chairman who said they had a long term plan and that everyone had bought into it. Except himself by the look of it.

Letting it 'be known' you are interested in ponying up 6 million quid for a player and actually doing so are two very, very different things.

I was reading some stuff from Reading fans today saying the owner is a real 'gunna do' merchant in the transfer market and yet, strangely, none of the signings ever materialise and they have Harte at left-back and Roberts up front!
  • Options
    Terrible decision but someone is obviously lined up. Can't guess who they have lined up as I keep thinking back to the Adkins sacking and who would have thought they would bring in Pochettino.

Stability and unity is what you need in a dog fight and sacking your manager is not the best way to go about it, nor would be bringing in Di Canio.

• Options
    Kap10 said:

Don't quote me on the exact wording Kap, but he said that his 'actions' with West Ham probably hindered his return to management. He has applied for roles, although he wasn't specific about which ones, but the Wolves job was tossed into the conversation and he said he came close on that one. Didn't criticize West Ham in anyway, and was his usual pragmatic self.

As he has said before, he's only looking to get to a Premiership Management roles.
  • Options

Kap10 said:

Don't quote me on the exact wording Kap, but he said that his 'actions' with West Ham probably hindered his return to management. He has applied for roles, although he wasn't specific about which ones, but the Wolves job was tossed into the conversation and he said he came close on that one. Didn't criticize West Ham in anyway, and was his usual pragmatic self.

As he has said before, he's only looking to get to a Premiership Management roles.
    On reflection I think his decision to take West Ham to court probably finished his career. He was already the sort of manager that a club would go to if they needed to get away from the relegation zone (not exactly the sort of job he wanted) but now I think a club would have to be desperate to take him on, which explains why Wolves are the only club that look to have made him any kind of offer, and gosh, were they desperate?

If you have a decent squad in the Premier League why would you need to employ Curbishey, the chap that took a club to court for selling players that, in all honesty, were probably sold to keep the club afloat?
  • Options
    Too many Chairman are only looking for a quick fix. Seems hardly any are prepared to carefully choose a manager and then give him time and support to achieve something. You pick Curbs and give him five years and I think you achieve something. Pick him and give him two and you get what you deserve. I think a lot of out of work managers go to these interviews and big it up saying that they can do a lot with the current squad when in fact everyone else knows that to get out of the problem you need to replace quite a few. What chairman is going to pick Curbs when he probably says something along the lines of "it will take three seasons for me to build a team"
  • Options
    this has been said many times before but i honestly cannot see Curbs getting another premier league job unless he either:

a) accepts a Championship job and does well
    b) accepts a Championship job and gets them promoted

What premier league side will employ him?

None of the bigger clubs will. Many of the so called lesser sides like West brom, Swansea, Villa, Norwich, Southampton, QPR have all changed manager recently and he wasn't considered. About the only options for him would seem to be Stoke or Wigan and he probably wouldn't want to live that far north.

He needs to lower his expectations.
  • Options
    Why should he lower his expectations ? If he was desperate then I'm sure he would but he obviously isn't so why should he.
  • Options
    Because the longer he leaves it, the less likely he is to get the premier league job he said he wanted.

I'm sure he's not desperate and seems to be doing ok as a pundit popping up here and there, but if he wants to get back into management, he needs to get a shift on. He's 55 and hasn't managed for nearly 5 years.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jimmy Kebbe said sometime ago that they are ,and always have been, a Championship team playing in the Premier.

They can only attract a certain quality as their wages are structured to cope with a relegation.

They are probably going to follow in the Baggies footsteps as the new yo yo team.
  • Options
    I'd take Brian McDermott as the new Irish manager in a heartbeat, always seemed like a genuine guy. New manager wont make any difference for Reading, just don't have the quality and experience to stay up this season.
  • Options

Of those available I would take Steve Mclaran.
    Think curbs has been away to long.
    DiCanio would be a huge risk, most of the other usual suspects aren't high profile or have failure all over their cv's.
    DiMateo won't take the job after Chelsea.

Saying that, expect a surprise foreign manager to get the job.

bad spelling, even worse manager. Adkins or RDM for me, very harsh on McDermott though.
  • Options
    Acoording to the local paper down here Adkins wages are still being paid in the normal way as he is on "gardening leave".

If he accepts another job he will not get his contract paid up in full.

So at the moment if he takes a job he will lose out financially.

The way he got the sack I hope he gets every penny he's due from the yokel twats.
  • Options

Because the longer he leaves it, the less likely he is to get the premier league job he said he wanted.

I'm sure he's not desperate and seems to be doing ok as a pundit popping up here and there, but if he wants to get back into management, he needs to get a shift on. He's 55 and hasn't managed for nearly 5 years.

I am afraid that you are right, and the same is true in many branches of management. A chairman would worry that the FAPL has changed a lot in five years. I think Curbs needs to swallow his pride and take a good Champ job, and soon.

• Options

Acoording to the local paper down here Adkins wages are still being paid in the normal way as he is on "gardening leave".

If he accepts another job he will not get his contract paid up in full.

So at the moment if he takes a job he will lose out financially.

The way he got the sack I hope he gets every penny he's due from the yokel twats.

Surely he would still get any difference between the two sides. Thus is he agrees to work for £100 a week then Soton would have to make up the difference between what he was on there and £100 a week.
  • Options
    Apparently the way it works is that if he takes another job Soton no longer have to pay him.

I would post the link but I can't find it now.
  • Options

Apparently the way it works is that if he takes another job Soton no longer have to pay him.

I would post the link but I can't find it now.

That's right, they REPLACED him as manager, they did not 'sack' him from the club.

Nice little earner for m'learned friends coming up.
  • Options
    If they are claiming gardening leave, this is a perversion of its normal meaning, but looking at the thug who runs them, I'm not surprised.

Gardening leave in normal companies is used when the employee chooses to resign, and prevents him from immediately joining a competitor. You cannot use it on an employee you have sacked. That would be called a restraint on trade. I'm not a lawyer, but I know that much. Jeez, my dog knows that!

The muppetry in footballs boardrooms seems to be reaching epic proportions
  • Options
    I guess it's form of Compromise Agreement. They agree to pay Adkins so much if Adkins doesn't take another job for a certain period of time, and Adkins keeps his mouth shut. Like that NHS guy...