Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Barnsley Away

Comments

• Options
    Mike said:

I won't mention hull

I knew where we were going, you were the one who was slowing us down ;)
  • Options
    That bin burning story from the BBC is brilliant, can't believe I haven't seen that before. That's going all over Facebook and Twitter after work. Then I'm going to text around and see who's free tomorrow.
  • Options

The coldest I have ever been at a football game.

Luton Town away, early 80's late December (20-22nd), snow and ice on the terraces, absolutely freezing....and we lost 3-0.
    Floodlights failed as well at one point, I think.
    That's right....we always seemed to lose to them 3-0 in that era.
  • Options
    Time to start drumming up some enthusiasm for whats likely to be a very important game. Get your tickets on Saturday and lets get our boys across that safety line.
  • Options

Time to start drumming up some enthusiasm for whats likely to be a very important game. Get your tickets on Saturday and lets get our boys across that safety line.

This. I know Barnsley isn't the most appealing of places to visit but supreme Addicks support is needed for this (six pointer).

COYA!
  • Options
    Just booked the train back for this, £7.15 with a £10 off e-voucher, not too shabby
  • Options
    What is the train route?
  • Options
    jamescafc said:

What is the train route?

On a rail
  • Options
    jamescafc said:

What is the train route?

Via Doncaster cheaper, via Sheffield quicker and better for drinking.

• Options
    Mrs AUN first ever Charlton game. Can't really tell if she's getting excited though. . . . . . .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrLargo said:

any pubs anyone can reccomend 3 all booked and ready to go

My bird is from Barnsley and as a result I've spent far more time than I would have liked in this miserable dump of a town. Watched Charlton at Oakwell last time we played there about three years ago. Consequently I feel well qualified to answer this question.

Most of the pubs in the town centre fall into two categories - smelly old pits where the locals treat anyone with less than 6 fingers with a great deal of suspicion, or youngsters pubs such as Walkabout and Yates, where the locals treat anyone with less than 6 fingers with a great deal of suspicion.

There's an Irish pub called Durty O'Dwyers on Market Hill in the town centre that isn't too bad - I used to pop in there to watch Soccer Saturday when I was stranded up there at the weekend - gets quite busy on matchdays though. Other than that I struggle to think of anywhere to recommend to people from more civilised parts of the country.

Contrary to popular belief, northerners are not friendly to anyone who is not related to them, and the people of Barnsley are no exception. Even people from Huddersfield are looked upon as aliens from another planet.

The only upside that arises from the Barnsley folks' insular existence is that the women are still of the impression that everyone from London drives a Ferrari and lives in a penthouse apartment next to Buckingham Palace. If you're staying up there for the evening then you'll have no trouble finding female company.

BBC News Article on the hobbies and pastimes of teenagers in Barnsley: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/south_yorkshire/6523197.stm

Have a lovely time.
    Absolutely love this post . Well played.
  • Options
    Can't wait for this now.....
  • Options
    Travelling up, will get tickets on the day. Any idea how many have been sold?
  • Options
    This looks like a once in a life time opportunity to wear an I Love Maggie tee-shirt, visit the Cortonwood Miners Welfare Club and laugh at the feckless northern pondlife. (Sorry, couldn't resist!)
  • Options
    jamescafc said:

Travelling up, will get tickets on the day. Any idea how many have been sold?

According to website around 250 had been sold by last Wednesday.

• Options
    cafcfan said:

This looks like a once in a life time opportunity to wear an I Love Maggie tee-shirt, visit the Cortonwood Miners Welfare Club and laugh at the feckless northern pondlife. (Sorry, couldn't resist!)

Cock (sorry, couldn't resist)
  • Options
    Might take along the French flag to this. Yann deserves it.
  • Options
    got my tickets this morning and they say that 500 have been sold so far, and tickets will be available at Oakwell on Saturday.
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

Might take along the French flag to this. Yann deserves it.

Go for it but you'll have to change your name to 'Les Blues' Panda :0)
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    <blockquote class="Quote" rel="RedChaser"><blockquote class="Quote" rel="RedPanda">Might take along the French flag to this. Yann deserves it.</blockquote>
    Go for it but you'll have to change your name to 'Les Blues' Panda :0)</blockquote>
    Ooh non mon ami, en francaise c'est le petit panda! Calling up and getting mine later now the season ticket rush has died down, I suspect a fair few will be doing the same. Was too big a queue Saturday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'll be there with my Dad,so that's a couple more making the trip
  • Options
    I'm heading up/down from Liverpool. Think I might be the only one on that train though!
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I think we'll have about 700 up there.

I'm on the 09:03 out of London.

I think we'll probably run into some Smallwall on their way home from Wembley in the evening. Most of them will be getting there on the bandwagon though, so we shouldn't see too many!! :o)
  • Options
    Club coach for me. Proper firm.
  • Options
    08.55 from St Panc
  • Options
    9:55 from St Pancs
  • Options
    9:55 to Sheffield for us. Am planning on heading straight to that pub up from the station but just realised there's going to be a load of Swindon about for a big promotion game.
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

9:55 to Sheffield for us. Am planning on heading straight to that pub up from the station but just realised there's going to be a load of Swindon about for a big promotion game.

Swindon/Promotion? They will be lucky to be thinking of the play offs the run they are on.
  • Options
    I haven't actually looked properly at the table, presumed they were still up there. Either way there will be a few of them about, hopefully more Addicks!
  • Options
    im on the 9.55 but changing at chesterfield?