Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The boy done good - CAFC U9 Academy

Comments

• Options
    Alfie got spotted 2 years ago when he was 6 playing in an under 8 torney. Chelsea and Arsenal came in for him then but it didn't work out at Chelsea then Charlton came in for him. I think we have turned down every club in London??

One morning at the Marathon ground where Alfie plays home games 2 palarse scouts approached me,before saying a word I showed them my Charlton tattoo on my leg (it was summer I had shorts on lol) they looked smiled and said "fair enough we understand and walked away! At that time though Alfie was at Arsenal,Charlton And finishing at Chelsea so there wasn't enough days left in the week!!!

DOC64 said:

Congrats on your little future star TN

Just out of curiosity, apologise if you have already answered this....

How did Alfie get spotted by Arsenal, Charlton scouts?? The reason i ask this my brother plays for dartford under 10s at the mo, he has been asked by Palars & a few other scouts, he has been playing football since he was 6-7 but for now my dad is happy for him at the darts as he has only been there about 6 months & a sidcup side also

I would leave him where he is for now if it was me. Next season is the first season (u11's) of District and Kent County football which Charlton actively discourage but the kids really enjoy. Charlton, although discouraging their boys from playing, do send their scouts along to watch the representative games.

If he is good enough he will be picked up that way.

Alternatively, if he already has scouts watching him and would like to play for Charlton, contact them. I'm pretty sure the procedure is still explained on the OS. If you want any further help, by all means inbox me.

Many thanks Doc, i think he will be picked up soon. The main thing is he is enjoying his football for now and when they get to 12+ then maybe kick on and see where they take it. Think my dad has a plan for him anyway and he thinks he is going to be the next messi (standard dad thing), if i have a say in it i will defo get him to turn down nigels or scumwall any other club is good although preferably charlton :)
    Doc has already said what I think! Great advice

• Options
    TN,

Other than it being "your" team and being local was there anything else that made you and Alfie choose Charlton?

I'm not asking and don't expect you to comment on money. More interested in what the differences are and what Charlton do to sell themselves when I guess a lot of parents and kids would be swayed by "bigger" name clubs.

And if I was the Palace chief scout I wouldn't be happy that my scouts gave up so easily. I think they need to hire some recruitment consultants : - )
  • Options
    All the games Alfie played for Arsenal was at Hales end there youth academy. He would have played for Arsenal in a torney in Birmingham but that got postponed due the the weather. He did play in torney in Brighton when he first went there which was good!

For Charlton though he has played at Watford and Reading and also had another torny cancelled in Walsall where he would have been playing against Man City Lpool and Everton bloody rain!!!!
    He has Reading again soon then Southend at Sparrows lane then a torney in Norwich so it's all go!!!
  • Options

TN,

Other than it being "your" team and being local was there anything else that made you and Alfie choose Charlton?

I'm not asking and don't expect you to comment on money. More interested in what the differences are and what Charlton do to sell themselves when I guess a lot of parents and kids would be swayed by "bigger" name clubs.

And if I was the Palace chief scout I wouldn't be happy that my scouts gave up so easily. I think they need to hire some recruitment consultants : - )

It all comes down to timing Henry. If Alfie had stayed at Chelsea and was offered that would have meant 4 times a week from Dartford to Cobham so that was a no no!

With Arsenal that was a lot harder as the journey was ok but going through the Blackwall tunnel in rush hour made it difficult sometimes Arsenal did offer all sorts to have Alfie sign but Alfie liked Charlton too much!

Like I have said in a previous post Arsenal gave Alfie kit ,coat etc etc costing about £500 and at Charlton he got given last years U9 kit out a back of a van so the bright light didn't blind us!

Alfie at the moment is 2 stages above what he should in school and I didn't want late nights training effecting his school. At the end of the day education is number 1 priority!!

At Arsenal he would trained 3 nights a week not getting in until 9pm as where at Charlton U9s training is 3 times a week but finishes at 6.30 so he will be indoors 7pm which suits me.

Also when we went to the presentation evening last month down the Valley they showed us some stats which I knew being a Charlton fan but other family's didn't is Charlton have to use their academy I think 27 players in the last 7-10 years have made it to the first team(could be wrong?) compare that to Arsenal it was no contest!!
  • Options
    I 've got a friend whose son was at Arsenal from 8 years old. When he was U11 he scored 75 goals in one season which is some going. But his son is bright and got a place at Wilmington Grammar so he pulled him out of Arsenal so he could concentrate on his education as the travelling was too much. The boy (year 8) now plays for Welling Utd and is enjoying himself. He has been scouted by other clubs including CAFC but he's putting the football career on hold until he's got a few GCSE's.
  • Options
    Very sensible but Charlton do have a good education system. On site tuition etc in one of the new classrooms they have just put in at Sparrows lane
  • Options

Alfie got spotted 2 years ago when he was 6 playing in an under 8 torney. Chelsea and Arsenal came in for him then but it didn't work out at Chelsea then Charlton came in for him. I think we have turned down every club in London??

Obviously we know it goes on, but i think it's madness that these clubs are scouting kids at the age of 6. How old before they can even play competitive 11 a side games these days?
  • Options
    Cheers,

Did they mention anything about the new Category status?

I know we wanted Cat 1 but not heard anything yet
  • Options
    I was told they don't think they will get it Henry but fingers crossed I heard wrong?
  • Options

Obviously we know it goes on, but i think it's madness that these clubs are scouting kids at the age of 6. How old before they can even play competitive 11 a side games these days?
    Alfie was playing in an under 8 torney when he was scouted it just so happened he was only 6 at the time! But all academy's have soccer schools now. I could be wrong but U11 start playing 11a side football?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Love your answer to the two Nigels scouts TN !! Top suff.
  • Options
    edited March 2013

between U11 to U13 I think depending on county / league for 11 a-side but competitive fixtures come in at U9 (again I think).

Lots of 9 a-side going down on 60 yard pitches at the minute which is a good step up from the mini-soccer 7s and a nice route towards 11 a-side.
  • Options
    U13s play 11 a side. Under 11s and 12s 9 a side. Although some schools have their youngsters playing on full size pitches which is detrimental to their development. To have the level of interest you have had shows your boy must have a lot of talent, but the important thing is at his age is that he continues to enjoy playing football and he shouldn't put Charlton above that and playing for his club/school with his mates.

There isn't a need for academies until the teens and what a lot of clubs are doing is trying to trawl for talent, knowing that not many- if any will make it. Look at and constantly review the quality of what Charlton are doing with him and compare that with what is available locally.

Best of luck to Alfie. Hope to see him playing for us in a few years.
  • Options
    no competitive football for u9's next season they are the age group who will start it all off, that they wont have competitve football at u10's or u11's, I've got a mate who coaches under 8's this year and thought they would be competitive next year only to find out he will have to wait until u12's I think or u11's.
  • Options
    and five a side up to under 9's as well.
  • Options
    Needs to happen mate so many clubs not (pro) but Saturday and Sunday this side of the Thames play this long hoof ball to the kid that is so obviously not the age they Are pretending to be just because its competitive

When you have to pass it and there isnt so much riding on the result maybe these coaches that do it will be phased out of the game and shown as the dinosaurs that they are
  • Options

but the important thing is at his age is that he continues to enjoy playing football and he shouldn't put Charlton above that and playing for his club/school with his mates.

There isn't a need for academies until the teens and what a lot of clubs are doing is trying to trawl for talent, knowing that not many- if any will make it. Look at and constantly review the quality of what Charlton are doing with him and compare that with what is available locally.

Muttley you are so right in what you are saying. Unfortunately Charlton in particular discourage School's football and it has caused huge issues, certainly in relation to this season's U11's at Charlton where they try and stop the boys playing representative football, despite the fact that the children (and that's what they are) enjoy it.

The clubs expect far too much far too young. I appreciate that they are making a huge investment, but as you have stated they trawl for talent at such a young age and then demand almost total exclusivity. In Charlton's current U11's only 6 of the original 18 boys remain..........

• Options

and five a side up to under 9's as well.

Must be a regional thing as deffo not down here (Surrey)
  • Options
    DOC64 said:

but the important thing is at his age is that he continues to enjoy playing football and he shouldn't put Charlton above that and playing for his club/school with his mates.

Muttley you are so right in what you are saying. Unfortunately Charlton in particular discourage School's football and it has caused huge issues, certainly in relation to this season's U11's at Charlton where they try and stop the boys playing representative football, despite the fact that the children (and that's what they are) enjoy it.

The clubs expect far too much far too young. I appreciate that they are making a huge investment, but as you have stated they trawl for talent at such a young age and then demand almost total exclusivity. In Charlton's current U11's only 6 of the original 18 boys remain..........

Excuse me if I am supposed to know Doc buy how / why are you so ITK ?
  • Options
    PL54 said:

DOC64 said:

Excuse me if I am supposed to know Doc buy how / why are you so ITK ?
    Apologies PL54, no you weren't to know. My son's also at the Academy and has been for several years.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Only just caught this thread. What a fantastic story. You must be so proud.

Tone
  • Options
    edited March 2013

love how they knew just seeing the tattoo that there was no chance.

well done to your son. playing for the team you support must be a great feeling. Hope to see him in a few years time playing in the first team.

• Options
    Tattoo is pretty big on my calf lol to be honest as well they had approached Alfie's manager like they should and he had told them where he was training and that we were all staunch Charlton fans!! They didn't really stand a chance!
  • Options
    What odds for an England cap?
  • Options
    DOC64 said:

Doc we were told last night that the boys could play for their school,district and county if ever picked??
  • Options

What odds for an England cap?

Lol
  • Options
    Doc, do you come to the Bromley addicks meetings?
  • Options
    Doc is your boy playing Norwich on the 7th April?

Reece said last night that there are 4 Charlton age groups playing up there that day!!
  • Options

Doc, do you come to the Bromley addicks meetings?

Hi Henry, yes and we have spoken briefly. Very well done for all that you do.

I was there last week and asked Rhoys a few questions. He is, as previously stated, a credit to the club (despite his Nigel background).

• Options
    Thought it might be you. See you at the next meeting.