Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Montenegro v England

12346»

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2013

Amazes me when we consistently underperform it is always the managers fault.

We have an inadequate, insular crop of players who if you get in the face and make it tough for them will wilt or make mistakes.

When the pressure was on last night Milner made a decent challenge to concede a corner.

The camera panned wider showing 7 or 8 England players in the box, all silent with their head down. No one encouraging, rallying etc.

Severe lack of characters at the top of the domestic game. They've all been coached to the nth degree, even down to mining the anthem and what to say in interviews.

The manager SHOULD have changed the midfield around quicker in the second half, but don't lose sight what he currently has at his disposal. The 96 side that never won anything was Seaman, Neville, Adams, Southgate, Pearce, McManaman, Ince, Gazza, Anderton, Sheringham, Shearer.

How many in that starting 11 last night at this point in time would get in that side ?

Im not saying the blame lies solely on Hodgsons door because it doesnt. Just like it doesnt on Powell for Charlton. I think both are right for the job and are let down by their players too much.

But after a dominant first half it was obvious they would come out all guns blazing 2nd half. after 60 mins, the constant attacks from them kept coming and a confident defence started to get deeper and Carrick/Gerrard/Cleverley lost all shape. Was crying out for someone like Parker to come on, with direct instruction from Hodgson to regroup, hold shape and regain control.

Like i said, with England and Charlton it just feels like this is happening too regularly.

Agree with what your saying in the bigger picture but last night i think manager has to take as much responisbility 2nd half as the players.
  • Options

not sure how anyone thinks Ince is a better player than Gerrard personally, but it's all about opinions eh

2-5 years ago I agree. Don't think Gerrard has looked better than average this season, though I don't really watch much prem stuff
  • Options
    I'll add nearly half the side last night aren't even first choices for their clubs.
  • Options

I'll add nearly half the side last night aren't even first choices for their clubs.

Not sure that Welbeck is even second (or third) choice! 21 league games for Utd this season and one goal! Defoe 28 games 10 goals. What is Welbeck doing in the team?
  • Options
    Playing a different position to what Defoe plays
  • Options
    Cleveley and Welbeck not good enough for England. We need more players with flair!
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Not sure that Welbeck is even second (or third) choice! 21 league games for Utd this season and one goal! Defoe 28 games 10 goals. What is Welbeck doing in the team?

In the side because he can 'do a job defensively', same reason Milner and Cleverly get a game whilst the likes of Young, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Defoe and Lampard sit on the bench.
  • Options
    They are very similar to charlton all huff and puff but little end product.

• Options
    Bottoms, put england in my in-play acca, got serbia, croatia and belgium but england let me down as usual.
    They were killing it in the first half.
  • Options
    Roy Keane was spot on with his comments last night. I don't feel he was sticking the boot in just saying what needed to be said.

The players on the pitch didn't look like a team at all, they knew they were conceding. The midfield was just getting blitzed time and time again and when that isn't proving a stopping point then you look at the defence to hold its nerve and a pairing of Smalling and Lescott hardly gives that confidence feeling.

Someone talked about Baines pushing Cole for that starting place. Cole has been a brilliant servant, no doubt. But I personally think Baines should have been playing reguarly for England the past season. His deliveries and freekicks are some of the best in the Premiership. That aspect of his game is well above Coles and he has potentially a couple more years on Cole now. Cole is 32 and Baines is 28, at this rate by the time Cole decides to call it a day Baines won't be too far behind him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fiiiiiish said:

Roy Keane was spot on with his comments last night. I don't feel he was sticking the boot in just saying what needed to be said.

The players on the pitch didn't look like a team at all, they knew they were conceding. The midfield was just getting blitzed time and time again and when that isn't proving a stopping point then you look at the defence to hold its nerve and a pairing of Smalling and Lescott hardly gives that confidence feeling.

Someone talked about Baines pushing Cole for that starting place. Cole has been a brilliant servant, no doubt. But I personally think Baines should have been playing reguarly for England the past season. His deliveries and freekicks are some of the best in the Premiership. That aspect of his game is well above Coles and he has potentially a couple more years on Cole now. Cole is 32 and Baines is 28, at this rate by the time Cole decides to call it a day Baines won't be too far behind him.

Is Baines on some kind of fast track to old age then? ;-)
  • Options
    Could well be Algarve ;)

I mean if Roy sticks with Cole another season or maybe two then the best Baines could possibly be gone.
  • Options
    I knew what you meant mate, and I agree with you.