Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The £5 pint

Comments

• Options
    se9addick said:
    Prices in Perth have been like that for a while. The average price across Perth and the Metro area is $10-$12 a pint!.  :/
    Is that actually for a pint? I was paying $12 a beer in Sydney a couple of years ago and it turned out to be that schooner nonsense rather than an actual pint!
    Yup. West Coast (WA) of Aus so pints here! Schooner's are common place in NSW, QLD and NT.
  • Options
    My local up here in West Yorkshire is £6.70 for the pint I drink. Hop Skip and Juice - keg pale ale. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Prices in Perth have been like that for a while. The average price across Perth and the Metro area is $10-$12 a pint!.  :/
    Is that actually for a pint? I was paying $12 a beer in Sydney a couple of years ago and it turned out to be that schooner nonsense rather than an actual pint!
    Yup. West Coast (WA) of Aus so pints here! Schooner's are common place in NSW, QLD and NT.
    $12 Australian is about £6.30.
  • Options
    £8.50 for a pint of Budweiser in the O2 last week. Not that I would touch the stuff. The best on offer was Stella at the same price but I got 10% discount for using Amex.

I was there three months ago and I think it was £7.20. Not sure how they can justify a £1.30 price rise.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
  • Options
    My son being a student loves the 'spoons'. The problem for us is it is totally dog unfriendly, even not allowing them in the garden. 
  • Options
    My son being a student loves the 'spoons'. The problem for us is it is totally dog unfriendly, even not allowing them in the garden. 
    I applaud this
  • Options
    Dreary decor (aside from outdoors in Ramsgate), no music or atmosphere. That's my personal gripe with Wetherspoons. Also I like to dress up decently when out and so do my female friends and the venue doesn't offer that as a destination. 

Not really interested in a Wetherspoons debate, just like how we wouldn't unpick our holiday destinations and hotels. But that's my take on them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    They let them drink at the bar though.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Dreary decor (aside from outdoors in Ramsgate), no music or atmosphere. That's my personal gripe with Wetherspoons. Also I like to dress up decently when out and so do my female friends and the venue doesn't offer that as a destination. 

Not really interested in a Wetherspoons debate, just like how we wouldn't unpick our holiday destinations and hotels. But that's my take on them.
    Suits u Sir!
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Huskaris said:
    And funnily enough long standing legal restrictions meant The Daylight Inn in Petts Wood was the only pub within a mile until The Sovereign of The Seas was opened.  

I absolutely love Petts Wood, regularly walk there from the New Eltham end of Chislehurst in the nice weather (get to see a lot of high speed trains, lovely). Some of the best restaurants around (Troy and Indian Essence both get special mentions).
    I've lived in Petts Wood 9 years this year and I can count the times I've been in the Sovereign on one hand.  Tbh, think I've drank in Vault & Vine more times than the Sovereign too.
    No reason for it other than me and the guys who drink together lives on the East side so the Daylight tends to be pub of choice.
    A pint Neck Oil in the Daylight last week was £6:05.  Pint of Guinness 4.90.

Other local options, tend to go down to The Chequers at Bickley as thats my brother-in-laws local or the Cricketers, between Petts Wood and Orpington.  Nice quiet pub that, never overly busy, they do Beavertown Neck Oil and Guinness on tap so its fine for me.

(Should say, I dont really think about the prices too much as if I'm honest, its rare I go out for a beer these days.  Maybe once every 2-3 months if I'm lucky!)

• Options
    Have seen plenty of dogs in the Bromley South one.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Huskaris said:
    And funnily enough long standing legal restrictions meant The Daylight Inn in Petts Wood was the only pub within a mile until The Sovereign of The Seas was opened.  

I absolutely love Petts Wood, regularly walk there from the New Eltham end of Chislehurst in the nice weather (get to see a lot of high speed trains, lovely). Some of the best restaurants around (Troy and Indian Essence both get special mentions).
    I've lived in Petts Wood 9 years this year and I can count the times I've been in the Sovereign on one hand.  Tbh, think I've drank in Vault & Vine more times than the Sovereign too.
    No reason for it other than me and the guys who drink together lives on the East side so the Daylight tends to be pub of choice.

Other local options, tend to go down to The Chequers at Bickley as thats my brother-in-laws local or the Cricketers, between Petts Wood and Orpington.  Nice quiet pub that, never overly busy, they do Beavertown Neck Oil and Guinness on tap so its fine for me.

(Should say, I dont really think about the prices too much as if I'm honest, its rare I go out for a beer these days.  Maybe once every 2-3 months if I'm lucky!)

The Bricklayers Arms is a great boozer, but I think has changed hands and is a tad quiet.

My gripe with a spoons is that the service tends to be slow and the bar staff can be pig ignorant.
  • Options
    can't remember the last time I just went to a pub for a pint or two, certainly won't be now seeing some of the prices mentioned on here. Thought £5 a pint was bad enough.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Huskaris said:

The Bricklayers Arms is a great boozer, but I think has changed hands and is a tad quiet.

My gripe with a spoons is that the service tends to be slow and the bar staff can be pig ignorant.

My son's friend is at Uni and works at a Spoons too as a shift Manager. He is earning barely more than minimum wage. Given the amount they pay they are unlikely to attract the most experienced and worldly of staff because anyone worthwhile who wants to make a career will surely move to pastures new soon enough. 
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Huskaris said:

My son's friend is at Uni and works at a Spoons too as a shift Manager. He is earning barely more than minimum wage. Given the amount they pay they are unlikely to attract the most experienced and worldly of staff because anyone worthwhile who wants to make a career will surely move to pastures new soon enough. 
    Does not excuse bad manners.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Also I like to dress up decently when out and so do my female friends and the venue doesn't offer that as a destination. 
    I don't even comb my hair before going to the pub!

Im bald btw. 
  • Options
    Pint of Stowford Press in Spoons Wood Green is £2.35. Same pint in Spoons Farringdon (near where I work) is £3.99 - still pretty reasonable considering. Any other pub round Farringdon and you're pushing £7.00 a pint now and more for "premium" lagers. Makes a big difference.

As a note for any Spoons cider drinkers....I was told the other day that they are replacing the various Stowford's with Strongbow as soon as supplies run out. Not too happy about that, but it's a 1st world problem I guess!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Huskaris said:

Elfsborg you are drinking in a spoons,

In the words of GG Allin.

"You dont get what you want, you get what you f**king deserve"
    Good job care workers don't have this attitude.
    Imagine going up to see your mum and dad in a care home , get there and they are covered in piss and shit.
    Sorry clb74 if you think I'm cleaning that up for minimum wage your wrong
  • Options
    On the plus side if everybody went to Spoons, the rest would close and Spoons prices would go up.
    So I'm ok to have 3 pints of Bud Light for £6.90 whilst others pay £20 elsewhere.
    Everyone's happy.
  • Options
    I once had scampi in Penge Wetherspoons.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Huskaris said:

:'(
  • Options
    Such unjust Spoons snobbery. Literally saving boozers from closing and making it a cheap alternative to the outrageous prices set elsewhere. Great place to start the evening off imo.

Yep, the spoons will be constantly busy whilst the boozer up the road empty even though the pub is nice.  Something to do with price.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    I once had scampi in Penge Wetherspoons.

You live dangerously, eating in a spoons(which I will concede is not always the best), and venturing into Penge.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Huskaris said:

Good job care workers don't have this attitude.
    Imagine going up to see your mum and dad in a care home , get there and they are covered in piss and shit.
    Sorry clb74 if you think I'm cleaning that up for minimum wage your wrong
    Lol too deep man, i was joking about elfsborg drinking in a spoons not how they treat their staff 😂
  • Options
    Haven’t had a Guinness for less than £6.50 for a long time. Any beer price that starts with a 5 I’m ecstatic.