Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The £5 pint

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2023
    Such unjust Spoons snobbery. Literally saving boozers from closing and making it a cheap alternative to the outrageous prices set elsewhere. Great place to start the evening off imo.
    Yeah if you want to a pint and a show of a single mother with 8 kids jousting a rottweiler.
  • Options
    Pint of Moretti £8.20 down here in Broadstairs ...
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Found myself in Yeovil over the weekend. Went into the 'Spoons for 3 of the evenings (closest to hotel and no other pubs in close walking distance of town centre).. Normally have nothing to do with them as think Tim Martin is a c*nt and I struggle to find anything I would drink in there. Anyway, this one had Brewdog (another vile company) Elvis Juice at £4.50 for a 660ml bottle, so my values went out the window and I decided that it was all OK after all... Won't be drinking in the Greenwich one though, as just too full of 'characters' (and now students) for me...
  • Options
    Jesus christ!  Flipping joke. 

• Options
    edited June 2023
    Which pub/bar is this @Broadstairs_Red ?

Amazing how touchy Spoons fans get when people air that they simply do not like the pub(s). It's not a thinly veiled dig at those drinking there!
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Huskaris said:
    And funnily enough long standing legal restrictions meant The Daylight Inn in Petts Wood was the only pub within a mile until The Sovereign of The Seas was opened.  

I absolutely love Petts Wood, regularly walk there from the New Eltham end of Chislehurst in the nice weather (get to see a lot of high speed trains, lovely). Some of the best restaurants around (Troy and Indian Essence both get special mentions).
    I've lived in Petts Wood 9 years this year and I can count the times I've been in the Sovereign on one hand.  Tbh, think I've drank in Vault & Vine more times than the Sovereign too.
    No reason for it other than me and the guys who drink together lives on the East side so the Daylight tends to be pub of choice.
    A pint Neck Oil in the Daylight last week was £6:05.  Pint of Guinness 4.90.

Other local options, tend to go down to The Chequers at Bickley as thats my brother-in-laws local or the Cricketers, between Petts Wood and Orpington.  Nice quiet pub that, never overly busy, they do Beavertown Neck Oil and Guinness on tap so its fine for me.

(Should say, I dont really think about the prices too much as if I'm honest, its rare I go out for a beer these days.  Maybe once every 2-3 months if I'm lucky!)

The Bricklayers Arms is a great boozer, but I think has changed hands and is a tad quiet.

My gripe with a spoons is that the service tends to be slow and the bar staff can be pig ignorant.
    So where's the Bricklayers?  I need to investigate :)
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Huskaris said:
    And funnily enough long standing legal restrictions meant The Daylight Inn in Petts Wood was the only pub within a mile until The Sovereign of The Seas was opened.  

I absolutely love Petts Wood, regularly walk there from the New Eltham end of Chislehurst in the nice weather (get to see a lot of high speed trains, lovely). Some of the best restaurants around (Troy and Indian Essence both get special mentions).
    I've lived in Petts Wood 9 years this year and I can count the times I've been in the Sovereign on one hand.  Tbh, think I've drank in Vault & Vine more times than the Sovereign too.
    No reason for it other than me and the guys who drink together lives on the East side so the Daylight tends to be pub of choice.
    A pint Neck Oil in the Daylight last week was £6:05.  Pint of Guinness 4.90.

Other local options, tend to go down to The Chequers at Bickley as thats my brother-in-laws local or the Cricketers, between Petts Wood and Orpington.  Nice quiet pub that, never overly busy, they do Beavertown Neck Oil and Guinness on tap so its fine for me.

(Should say, I dont really think about the prices too much as if I'm honest, its rare I go out for a beer these days.  Maybe once every 2-3 months if I'm lucky!)

The Bricklayers Arms is a great boozer, but I think has changed hands and is a tad quiet.

My gripe with a spoons is that the service tends to be slow and the bar staff can be pig ignorant.
    So where's the Bricklayers?  I need to investigate :)
    Masons Hill, the main road out of Bromley heading towards Bromley Common.
    Personally, I wouldn't bother investigating.
  • Options
    mendonca said:

Amazing how touchy Spoons fans get when people air that they simply do not like the pub(s). It's not a thinly veiled dig at those drinking there!
    No pub / bar, Prezzo - friend of mine went 2 days later and was charged 7.20
  • Options
    Only been in one Spoons, up in St Anne’s, it was ok but that’s all. Food was a bit meh. Wouldn’t go to one especially and only went there because there was no other alternative and was with a group of friends. Steer clear anyway because of their no dogs policy, if you can’t accept my dogs then up yours, your loss, plenty of other decent pubs for a meal and a drink.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well I've possibly only been in 101 Spoons, but I've never counted.
    (Well closer to 101 than 1 anyway).
  • Options
    Wtf!
  • Options
    freind moved to greenhithe recently so went to see him on saturday and ventured to the wharf, nice outside area lovely surroundings. 

guiness and a moretti £12.50 the service was also shocking, wish pubs would decide on being a restaurant or a boozer 
  • Options
    My son being a student loves the 'spoons'. The problem for us is it is totally dog unfriendly, even not allowing them in the garden. 
    Don’t tell T-C-E
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    I know the people knocking spoons are the same people i see at the Valley on a saturday and think 'fucking state of you'
    Can you see in to the corporate boxes from the cheap seats ?
  • Options
    mendonca said:

Agree, very strange mindset. A bit like people who feel the need to defend McDonald's. Both are crap but in a pinch they serve a purpose, anyone choosing to go to these sorts of places likely has issues.
  • Options
    £4.40 pint Of Stella or Morretti in my local. The ship Wilmington. Cheapest pub I know.
  • Options
    Shall we update the thread title to "The £10 pint"?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mendonca said:

I think referencing seeing a "show of a single mother with 8 kids jousting a rottweiler." is a dig at those drinking there!
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    CAFCTrev said:
    mendonca said:

I think referencing seeing a "show of a single mother with 8 kids jousting a rottweiler." is a dig at those drinking there!
    Yes but if you read my previous posts you and had the intelligence of someone who drank in non-chain pubs, you would summise my comments are firmly tongue in cheek
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    CAFCTrev said:
    mendonca said:

Yes but if you read my previous posts you and had the intelligence of someone who drank in non-chain pubs, you would summise my comments are firmly tounge in cheek
    Tbf that is a fairly accurate description of spoons clientele.
  • Options
    tounge? Is that northern for lounge?
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    mendonca said:

Agree, very strange mindset. A bit like people who feel the need to defend McDonald's. Both are crap but in a pinch they serve a purpose, anyone choosing to go to these sorts of places likely has issues.
    Not quite the same though. 
    Two outlets selling an identical brand for half the price.
  • Options
    The Priory Inn, Lower Thornton, Milford Haven.

Never seen cheaper prices, this was last month. I was so amazed i took a picture of the very modern pricelist...
  • Options

Never seen cheaper prices, this was last month. I was so amazed i took a picture of the very modern pricelist...
    £3.60 for bottle of wine  but £1.20 for can of coke 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

£3.60 for bottle of wine  but £1.20 for can of coke 
    They must be those 250ml tiddlers, my wife has those because she doesn't want a whole bottle and then has 4... 
  • Options

That price list must be from the 1990s - surely nowhere still sells Hooch these days?
  • Options
    Off_it said:

That price list must be from the 1990s - surely nowhere still sells Hooch these days?
    Wetherspoons do.