Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The £5 pint

Comments

• Options
    tounge? Is that northern for lounge?
    Didn't he get the first two wickets yesterday?
  • Options
    Just back from Dublin, paid as little as 4.5e for a pint of Guinness though the norm was 6-6.5e.
  • Options
    The Trafalgar may be a tourist trap but prices there are ridiculous. A pint of Trafalgar and an Aperol cost me £19.

The Spotted Dog in Barking remains £4 for s Fosters and £4.50 a Pravha. Big place, sports on the box, only downside is being in Barking…

• Options
    The Trafalgar may be a tourist trap but prices there are ridiculous. A pint of Trafalgar and an Aperol cost me £19.

The Spotted Dog in Barking remains £4 for s Fosters and £4.50 a Pravha. Big place, sports on the box, only downside is being in Barking…

Is it ruff ?
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    My son being a student loves the 'spoons'. The problem for us is it is totally dog unfriendly, even not allowing them in the garden. 
    Don’t tell T-C-E
    Total BS "Dogs Welcome" in pubs as are the holiday lets with "Dogs Welcome" , watch the rules change when I turn up or try to book a fortnight in Cornwall with our Granddaughter ;)

• Options
    Paid 4 euros for a 'pint' (500ml) Grolsch in Amsterdam and 5 euros at the Dutch MotoGP after expecting it to be similar to London/UK prices. Feels indicative of how crazy UK pint prices are these day that it felt cheap
  • Options
    Greenwich Sunday the Yacht cider £6.55 and a large wine £9.30. 

Popped in the Golden Lion in Bexleyheath to watch end of cricket same round £8.94. 
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    My son being a student loves the 'spoons'. The problem for us is it is totally dog unfriendly, even not allowing them in the garden. 
    Don’t tell T-C-E
    Total BS "Dogs Welcome" in pubs as are the holiday lets with "Dogs Welcome" , watch the rules change when I turn up or try to book a fortnight in Cornwall with our Granddaughter ;)

To be fair if you turned up at my front door with those 4 dogs I'd be frightened and if you wanted to come in I'd say no way Jose absolutely terrifying.
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    Don’t tell T-C-E

To be fair if you turned up at my front door with those 4 dogs I'd be frightened and if you wanted to come in I'd say no way Jose absolutely terrifying.
    So dogs aren’t welcome or just some dogs?
     I wouldn’t go in a pub where dogs are welcome to be fair. 
    Because people’s perception of what’s ok is different to mine and it would end up in a row so best I stay away. 
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Just back from Dublin, paid as little as 4.5e for a pint of Guinness though the norm was 6-6.5e.
    Many pubs in Ireland are refusing to go over €5 for a pint of Guinness.
    Most of the ones around me are charging €5.50
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    T_C_E said:
    T_C_E said:
    Don’t tell T-C-E

So dogs aren’t welcome or just some dogs?
     I wouldn’t go in a pub where dogs are welcome to be fair. 
    Because people’s perception of what’s ok is different to mine and it would end up in a row so best I stay away. 
    Yes we agree. (Some) people's perception of what's ok is different to yours and a considerable amount (couldn't say what percentage) would undoubtedly feel uncomfortable with 4 large dogs near them.
    Probably why a police dog handler with 1 similar dog is quite effective at scaring/catching villains.
  • Options
    That's good to hear, was quite happy to pay 6-6.5e a pint, delighted with 4.5e....mind you wine was quite expensive around 7e a glass of medium white, though no dearer then central London.
  • Options
    That's good to hear, was quite happy to pay 6-6.5e a pint, delighted with 4.5e....mind you wine was quite expensive around 7e a glass of medium white, though no dearer then central London.
    Wine is awful here as the tax doesn’t justify the expense.
    So you have to pay a lot to get anything close to a decent one 😩
  • Options
    At the end of May, I took the wife into London for the theatre, some drinks and dinner.
    2 drinks in the Roundhouse at Covent Garden came to £19.55 and I only had a pint of Neck Oil, she had an Apperol.
    Just looked up their menu on line, £7.55 a pint.  Kin ell.

Having said said, where we had dinner, I had a G&T when we first sat down, a Tanqueray and it cost £21.  Ouch.
  • Options
    I dont get everyone complaining abput prices, the price is the price. If you dont want to pay then dont.

Or if you do just earn more money ? Its not hard, its, like, no one wants to work anymore.
  • Options
    I dont get everyone complaining abput prices, the price is the price. If you dont want to pay then dont.

Or if you do just earn more money ? Its not hard, its, like, no one wants to work anymore.
    Troll comment or genuine comment?
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Huskaris said:
    And funnily enough long standing legal restrictions meant The Daylight Inn in Petts Wood was the only pub within a mile until The Sovereign of The Seas was opened.  

I absolutely love Petts Wood, regularly walk there from the New Eltham end of Chislehurst in the nice weather (get to see a lot of high speed trains, lovely). Some of the best restaurants around (Troy and Indian Essence both get special mentions).
    I've lived in Petts Wood 9 years this year and I can count the times I've been in the Sovereign on one hand.  Tbh, think I've drank in Vault & Vine more times than the Sovereign too.
    No reason for it other than me and the guys who drink together lives on the East side so the Daylight tends to be pub of choice.
    A pint Neck Oil in the Daylight last week was £6:05.  Pint of Guinness 4.90.

Other local options, tend to go down to The Chequers at Bickley as thats my brother-in-laws local or the Cricketers, between Petts Wood and Orpington.  Nice quiet pub that, never overly busy, they do Beavertown Neck Oil and Guinness on tap so its fine for me.

(Should say, I dont really think about the prices too much as if I'm honest, its rare I go out for a beer these days.  Maybe once every 2-3 months if I'm lucky!)

The Bricklayers Arms is a great boozer, but I think has changed hands and is a tad quiet.

My gripe with a spoons is that the service tends to be slow and the bar staff can be pig ignorant.

My son's friend is at Uni and works at a Spoons too as a shift Manager. He is earning barely more than minimum wage. Given the amount they pay they are unlikely to attract the most experienced and worldly of staff because anyone worthwhile who wants to make a career will surely move to pastures new soon enough. 
    Does not excuse bad manners.
    Elfsborg you are drinking in a spoons,

In the words of GG Allin.

"You dont get what you want, you get what you f**king deserve"
    Good job care workers don't have this attitude.
    Imagine going up to see your mum and dad in a care home , get there and they are covered in piss and shit.
    Sorry clb74 if you think I'm cleaning that up for minimum wage your wrong
    Lol too deep man, i was joking about elfsborg drinking in a spoons not how they treat their staff 😂
    It's a low bar

• Options
    IdleHans said:
    clb74 said:
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Huskaris said:
    And funnily enough long standing legal restrictions meant The Daylight Inn in Petts Wood was the only pub within a mile until The Sovereign of The Seas was opened.  

I absolutely love Petts Wood, regularly walk there from the New Eltham end of Chislehurst in the nice weather (get to see a lot of high speed trains, lovely). Some of the best restaurants around (Troy and Indian Essence both get special mentions).
    I've lived in Petts Wood 9 years this year and I can count the times I've been in the Sovereign on one hand.  Tbh, think I've drank in Vault & Vine more times than the Sovereign too.
    No reason for it other than me and the guys who drink together lives on the East side so the Daylight tends to be pub of choice.
    A pint Neck Oil in the Daylight last week was £6:05.  Pint of Guinness 4.90.

Other local options, tend to go down to The Chequers at Bickley as thats my brother-in-laws local or the Cricketers, between Petts Wood and Orpington.  Nice quiet pub that, never overly busy, they do Beavertown Neck Oil and Guinness on tap so its fine for me.

(Should say, I dont really think about the prices too much as if I'm honest, its rare I go out for a beer these days.  Maybe once every 2-3 months if I'm lucky!)

The Bricklayers Arms is a great boozer, but I think has changed hands and is a tad quiet.

My gripe with a spoons is that the service tends to be slow and the bar staff can be pig ignorant.

My son's friend is at Uni and works at a Spoons too as a shift Manager. He is earning barely more than minimum wage. Given the amount they pay they are unlikely to attract the most experienced and worldly of staff because anyone worthwhile who wants to make a career will surely move to pastures new soon enough. 
    Does not excuse bad manners.
    Elfsborg you are drinking in a spoons,

In the words of GG Allin.

"You dont get what you want, you get what you f**king deserve"
    Good job care workers don't have this attitude.
    Imagine going up to see your mum and dad in a care home , get there and they are covered in piss and shit.
    Sorry clb74 if you think I'm cleaning that up for minimum wage your wrong
    Lol too deep man, i was joking about elfsborg drinking in a spoons not how they treat their staff 😂
    It's a low bar

Very low.
  • Options

If genuine, a very strange thing to say tbh.
  • Options
    £21.15 for a bottle of beer (<500ml) and a gin & tonic at the blummin’ control room bar, Battersea Power Station last night. Ouch. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2023
    Fumbluff said:
    £21.15 for a bottle of beer (<500ml) and a gin & tonic at the blummin’ control room bar, Battersea Power Station last night. Ouch. 
    Tbh, I think I would have told them to keep it and walked out.

That is a crazy price.
  • Options
    I really struggle with cocktails as the same drink in two different places can vary wildly in terms of alcoholic content, which is why I much prefer drinks where I know the abv. 

Also, cocktails can get verrrry pricey. 
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    I really struggle with cocktails as the same drink in two different places can vary wildly in terms of alcoholic content, which is why I much prefer drinks where I know the abv. 

Also, cocktails can get verrrry pricey. 
    @clb74 likes a cock tail.
  • Options

It don't quite work like that though, does it?

You walk into a pub, you look at what pumps are at the bar, make a choice and order.
    Does anyone ever check the bar tariff when they walk in before making their choice?
    If you're in a round, and someone wants a beer that costs £1-2 more than your own, are you going to refuse to buy it?
    (Having said that, I can think of two people I know from school that would make a fuss about it lol)

And as for restaurants, you might get the prices on the wine menu but thats about it.

It is what it is.
  • Options

All those that know me will know its tounge in cheek firmly.

Also its a kim kardashian quote.
  • Options

All those that know me will know its tounge in cheek firmly.

Also its a kim kardashian quote.
    A good way of indicating it's a joke/tongue in cheek is to put a smiley.
  • Options
    Oh look how much I paid for drinks.
    FFS, some of the figures on here that people were prepared to pay.
    Personally, would have told them to jog on, but quite apparently there is no form of money issues for many.
  • Options
    Yes that’s just what you do in a bar isn’t it…twonk
  • Options
    R0TW said:
    Oh look how much I paid for drinks.
    FFS, some of the figures on here that people were prepared to pay.
    Personally, would have told them to jog on, but quite apparently there is no form of money issues for many.
    The trouble is you can find yourself doing less and less.

• Options
    I was in Monaco recently and a magnun of Champagne and a pint of shipyard set me back nearly £4.5k, it was only £4.46k but i only carry 50s so let the sommelier keep the change. 

On my way home we drove past the wetherspoons in Monaco and i threw a waterbaloon filled with Chateux Neuf De Pape 2003 at one of its clientele and shouted how do ypu like a tase of the good life you bum !!! All good natured fun.