Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bradley Wright-Phillips

Comments

• Options
    Skimming that article though, a few things jumped out at me:
    “It’s one of these things that through all of our contacts [from] my staff and myself, we heard the guys are available,” Roxburgh added. “Bradley Wright- Phillips I’ve known about, he’s a good boy. He played in the U-20 England national team underlining his potential. He played at Charlton as your probably know. From the first few minutes he’s quick and he can finish. We’ll see how quickly he blends and if it appropriate because we need to negotiate with him. But he’s happy to come here and show us that he’s got it. Hopefully we’ve got enough to buy him.
    - Buy him? I couldn't remember if he was out of contract or not. I'm wondering if his value will be higher over there. (Although, in reality I'd just quite like to see the guy happy - but a nice bit of mooollahhh could go a long way.)

- They also seem quite positive.
    “Good players, I’ve met them and talked with them, very good attitudes. As we said early on, we’re always trying to improve. It’s not easy with the salary cap and the league restrictions. It’s not easy to bring constant quality players in that we’ll look at. But when we have that opportunity we want to do it.”
    - Salary cap? League restrictions? How well regulated it is the league out there? It's continuing to gain popularity as well from what I gather - it may be worth watching how it pans out as they may be on to a more sustainable model?

Oh, and the English is appalling in that interview.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Not bad though when you get to live in the New York area and play alongside Thierry Henry in stadiums much bigger than most of those in the Championship.

The stadiums may be big, but how big are the crowds? And what's the standard of football like? I'm a bit disappointed that BWP couldn't quite cut it in the Championship.

• Options
    LuckyReds said:

- Buy him? I couldn't remember if he was out of contract or not. I'm wondering if his value will be higher over there. (Although, in reality I'd just quite like to see the guy happy - but a nice bit of mooollahhh could go a long way.)

Yes, his contract expires this summer. Agreed - would be good just to see him happy and scoring freely. I still have a pang of regret that after all his good work in Div 1 he couldn't quite make the step up....

• Options

cafctom said:

Not bad though when you get to live in the New York area and play alongside Thierry Henry in stadiums much bigger than most of those in the Championship.

The stadiums may be big, but how big are the crowds? And what's the standard of football like? I'm a bit disappointed that BWP couldn't quite cut it in the Championship.

The quality of football is somewhere between League 1 and the Championship (exactly Bradders level) but improving. The crowds are generally pretty good an the atmosphere is also surprisingly good.
  • Options

cafctom said:

The quality of football is somewhere between League 1 and the Championship (exactly Bradders level) but improving. The crowds are generally pretty good an the atmosphere is also surprisingly good.
    That's very heartening to hear, because it would be sad if BWP were a big fish in a small pond.

• Options
    Was good for us in L1 love the guy but in championship defenders don't make silly mistakes often and keepers don't kick the ball to u while ur on the ground!
  • Options
    BWP is still only 28. I know he's had quite a bit of Championship experience without being really convincing, but occasionally players blossom later on - look at Kermo. I just wonder if BWP has had the best coaching to develop his obvious natural talents.
  • Options
    All the very best to him. He was brilliant in our title winning season. A real catalyst for our upturn in fortunes.
    Hopefully he'll always be remembered as a good'un for us.
  • Options
    bloody well should be. without his goals we might still be stuck in league one. some disrespect being shown on here imo.
  • Options
    Hope it works out for him . Met him at last years sponsors dinner and he came across as a lovely bloke.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LuckyReds said:

Skimming that article though, a few things jumped out at me:

Hopefully we’ve got enough to buy him.

Pretty sure his contract is up and there won't be any money reaching us

He more than played his part for us in our promotion , good luck to him
  • Options
    se9addick said:

The Red Bulls are fast turning into a Charlton rejects XI. Sam, Bover and now Bradders.

It's odd, is there any connection on the coaching staff ?
    I believe steve gritts son works for them coach or physio
  • Options
    I dreamt last night that BWP was really upset he couldn't get in the Charlton team even though we didn't have any other strikers. I then preceded to cradle him like a baby and give him a comforting hug.

Worrying.
  • Options

I dreamt last night that BWP was really upset he couldn't get in the Charlton team even though we didn't have any other strikers. I then preceded to cradle him like a baby and give him a comforting hug.

Worrying.

Worrying, indeed. Sigmund Freud would be very interested.

• Options
    Could say it is even more worrying that you have posted it on here ;-)
  • Options
    Another one for the confessions thread.
  • Options
    New York/USA is far better place to work than some shithole clubs that are around league one that he'd probably go to.
  • Options

Worrying.

Ha ha. WTF
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    "On behalf of myself, all my staff and all my players I want to thank Brad for his contribution. I really wish him well because he’s a fantastic young man and a fantastic character and we thank him for his contribution to our wonderful football club."

Chris Powell confirms the departure of Bradley Wright-Phillips --> http://bit.ly/11m4lBj
  • Options
    Good Luck Bradley and thanks for the memories. You will always be welcomed back at The Valley by the fans.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

cafctom said:

The standard of football is still far worse than the Championship. One or two big names knocking around but some absolutely woeful players also.

Oh yeah, and thanks for everything Brad!
  • Options

cafctom said:

The standard of football is still far worse than the Championship. One or two big names knocking around but some absolutely woeful players also.

The MLS is not far worse than the championship, it is probably on a par and it is improving in quality every season.
  • Options
    MLS has a lot of quality in it, I love watching the games on ESPN. Very little hoofball and the fitness of the players is probably up there with those in our Premier League.

I've seen New England Revolution play live. Pisses all over the Championship for atmosphere off the pitch too.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    cafctom said:

MLS has a lot of quality in it, I love watching the games on ESPN. Very little hoofball and the fitness of the players is probably up there with those in our Premier League.

I've seen New England Revolution play live. Pisses all over the Championship for atmosphere off the pitch too.

Really? Sounds like Palace fans support LA Galaxy to me.

http://www.givemesport.com/357359-exepl-star-wins-90th-minute-penalty-after-dirty-dive
  • Options

cafctom said:

The MLS is not far worse than the championship, it is probably on a par and it is improving in quality every season.
    From what I've seen I reckon it's in between L1 and Championship. As BWP is an excellent L1 player and maybe just not quite good enough for the Championship I reckon MLS will be a good fit for him.
  • Options
    After a fairly non-eventful summer, would you take BWP back?

I would in a heart beat!
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I would give his dad a contract at the minute.
  • Options

After a fairly non-eventful summer, would you take BWP back?

I would in a heart beat!

Oh, yes please!

• Options
    I remember a game at The Valley where a ball came into the box and a group of players including BWP failed to get on the end of it. He slammed his fists on the turf in frustration - he wanted to do well for us, and he did, mostly....
  • Options
    No thanks. Did very well when he was here but his time with us was up. Best for both parties that he moves on