Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How do other clubs perceive Charlton Athletic ?

I always wonder this -

How do other clubs' fans perceive us ? Are we forever consigned to that tag of 'nice friendly club from SE London' that everybody has a soft spot for ?

Thoughts...

Comments

• Options
    Yes
  • Options
    Train spotting nerds because for some reason people keep posting train related shite on the Internet

We never learn
  • Options
    Don't think we have much of a perception really unless you directly ask the question "What do you think of Charlton?"

Most casual Football fans will just mention Alan Curbishley, 1998 Playoff Final and maybe some of the players from our Prem days.

We're in that category of clubs who has a decent reputation, but with no major standout traits in the eyes of the masses. Similar to the likes of Hull, Watford, Reading etc.
  • Options
    anorak, train spotting clowns.
  • Options
    Tinpot if you're a wendy, but then everyone else is tinpot to them
  • Options
    train spotters, family club i think the chelsea carling cup game the commentator said " and the freindly followers of the little club from south east london will go home happy tonight"
  • Options
    as a feeder club
  • Options
    Probably the same as Palace to the northerners, decentish sized club that have had spells in the PL.
  • Options
    Talal said:

Tinpot if you're a wendy, but then everyone else is tinpot to them

Rubbish.
    A few people in Sheffield, like other Northern cities, regard Charlton as "a bunch of cockneys" (their words not mine). A lot of Sheffield football fans (United or Wednesday) see Charlton as being a bit like them, not doing as well as they have in the past but decent sized crowds that have stayed loyal to the club.

A lot non Charlton football fans, aged over say 35, admire Charlton fans for saving for our ground, and our club. We are also admired by some for supporting our team despite having other clubs who are percieved to be more attractive on our doorstep. Charlton are also liked for being a decent away day.
  • Options
    Ha I'm only going by their forum, where any topic involving another club will have at least one reply of tinpot. Probably another of their hilarious 'jokes' though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2013
    You used to be the model club to follow in your Premier league days..and even now you are an example of giving a young new manager a chance and sticking by him after an average start and now been rewarded with a record promotion season and top 10 in the Championship.

I don't know ofcourse but suspect there is a lot of respect for you - very good ground built up over the years rather than just out of an ikea packet,decent support and of the 3 south london sides the friendliest! (Or probably of all the teams in London..)

• Options
    we are perceived as the ying to Millwall's yang .. or vice versa
  • Options
    An enjoyable day out, friendly club, not owned by a cock, decent manager

And a former role model on how to succeed in the PL without going broke!
  • Options
    The Julie Andrews of the Championship ! like a cuddly kitten, like a comfortable cardigan, or slippers !
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Back in the Premier League days I remember the Times once described us as the Hubble Telescope, always comfortably staying up but nobody is quite sure how.
  • Options

Back in the Premier League days I remember the Times once described us as the Hubble Telescope, always comfortably staying up but nobody is quite sure how.

Back in the days before the Premier league, the Times was one of the worlds most respected newspapers. Then Murdoch bought it.

• Options
    fluffy PC trainspotters wibblers burblers limpers

any and all so what ?
  • Options
    I think older fans have a lot of respect for no-nonsense "proper" football club. Northerners think we're cockernees.
  • Options
    We re the last people to ask.
  • Options
    A london club that isn't Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea or West Ham.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Down here on the borders they just say.....Who?
  • Options
    lots of the big clubs patronise us as were no threat they do not like us in general as people wish to believe, remember going past the fellowship pub in Bellingham after spurs relegated us and the whole pub was celebrating our demise
  • Options
    3 away points normally
  • Options
    Around my way, most people mention Chris Powell. They'll then say how they love him for his time at Southend/West Ham (delete as appropriate).
  • Options
    An easy touch at the Valley.
  • Options
    The Manchester United of Greenwich.
  • Options
    Speaking to Cardiff City fans on the tube before the home game, they were all in agreement that Charlton was their favorite away fixture. Yes, there's the attraction of London, but they loved the ground, especially the away South Stand, they liked the atmosphere inside the ground. They thought the stewarding was the best in the league. They also knew about the history of the club and felt that we have done well in sticking with Chrissie, even at that point things were looking a tad precarious.
  • Options
    ...and this matters to us because????
  • Options
    Most soccer fans north of Watford will see us as a bunch of soft cockney Herberts with no idea what part of London we come from. Most will have long forgotten our fairly recent premier history. Only die hard fans will appreciate our suffering at Shithurst and regeneration back at the Valley.
    Southern fans will either hate us or treat us with disdain. Fair enough. I jealously hate most of the bigger London clubs and also regard clubs like Orient and Brentford with disinterest. I have a special hatred for Palace and Millwall and long may it fester. Oh and my Watford mate thinks we are shit and my Millwall pal truly hates us but not as much as West Ham.
  • Options

...and this matters to us because????

Why does it have to matter?
    I was interested.
    Not interested, don't comment.