Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pubs, and the demise of.

Comments

• Options
    Taxi_Lad said:

i hear the white swan in charlton villge has been taken over by the same community pub group that owns the pelton arms? probably old news!

Old news, yes, but still good news. Great to see a good pub in Charlton Village.

It was still under threat as the owners recently applied for planning permission to build flats in the land behind the pub and part of the beer garden. Thankfully, it's been turned down.
    red_murph said:

Went there for a mates birthday. Thought it was alright but much better boozers elsewhere.
    Surprised by that decision. It's not even the best pub in c****** p*****. I much prefer the Grape & Grain, but then I'm a terrible beer snob these days.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Vincenzo said:

Taxi_Lad said:

i hear the white swan in charlton villge has been taken over by the same community pub group that owns the pelton arms? probably old news!

Old news, yes, but still good news. Great to see a good pub in Charlton Village.

It was still under threat as the owners recently applied for planning permission to build flats in the land behind the pub and part of the beer garden. Thankfully, it's been turned down.
    red_murph said:

Went there for a mates birthday. Thought it was alright but much better boozers elsewhere.
    Surprised by that decision. It's not even the best pub in c****** p*****. I much prefer the Grape & Grain, but then I'm a terrible beer snob these days.
    Just shows you how ridiculously unobjective these sort of things are. Eh Vince...........? ;-)
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:

Taxi_Lad said:

red_murph said:

I completely agree. The Alma opposite The White Hart is better, the Grape & Grain is miles better, the Westow is better. As a Penge dweller and former C****** P***** resident I have frequented these pubs for ten years now. If you're a known face in the White Hart then you're OK. If not, don't bother.

Grape & Grain has changed hands I believe but the beer remains excellent and the food is as it should be in a pub; reasonably priced and served on a plate not a slate. My local pub in Penge, the Goldsmiths Arms, is also an excellent pub which is superior to the White Hart.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Riviera said:

Vincenzo said:

Taxi_Lad said:

red_murph said:

Just shows you how ridiculously unobjective these sort of things are. Eh Vince...........? ;-)
    Quite, Mike!

Vincenzo said:

Taxi_Lad said:

red_murph said:

I completely agree. The Alma opposite The White Hart is better, the Grape & Grain is miles better, the Westow is better. As a Penge dweller and former C****** P***** resident I have frequented these pubs for ten years now. If you're a known face in the White Hart then you're OK. If not, don't bother.

Grape & Grain has changed hands I believe but the beer remains excellent and the food is as it should be in a pub; reasonably priced and served on a plate not a slate. My local pub in Penge, the Goldsmiths Arms, is also an excellent pub which is superior to the White Hart.
    I'd go along with all those pubs being better than the White Hart. I suppose it depends what you're looking for in a pub, but they all do better beer.

• Options
    I heard a rumour a while ago that the Grape and Grain was to be taken over by Wetherspoons.

Not been to the Goldsmiths yet but should be good as its part of the Antic pub group. Been to some of their other places, Westow House, Ravensbourne Arms, Catford Constitutional Club and they're all good places, bit pricy but good quality and some different beers and lagers.
  • Options
    Of those, only ever drank in The Station Hotel and Fanny. Never really drank in Erith or Belvedere etc. Some of those places look awful.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    iaitch said:

I heard a rumour a while ago that the Grape and Grain was to be taken over by Wetherspoons.

Not been to the Goldsmiths yet but should be good as its part of the Antic pub group. Been to some of their other places, Westow House, Ravensbourne Arms, Catford Constitutional Club and they're all good places, bit pricy but good quality and some different beers and lagers.

The Grape and Grain is definitely a wetherspoons now.

Antic pubs are a bit like wetherspoons hip younger brother. There are loads in south London now - The Hope in Peckham, Red Lion in Kennington and the Antelope in Tooting are all worth a look
  • Options
    http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/14247083.PICTURE_GALLERY__Time_at_the_bar___remembering_82_lost_pubs_of_the_Greenwich_area/

Knocked down, turned into bookmakers or tiny, overpriced flats. Modern England can piss off.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Of those, only ever drank in The Station Hotel and Fanny. Never really drank in Erith or Belvedere etc. Some of those places look awful.

Surprised @Riviera

I've drunk in about half of those. Love a rundown boozer!
  • Options
    drunk in all of those in Erith & Slade Green, amazing how many have closed down.
  • Options
    Good news for a change. Three pubs saved:
    http://deserter.co.uk/2016/01/glad-moon-swan/
  • Options

Riviera said:

Surprised @Riviera

I've drunk in about half of those. Love a rundown boozer!
    So did I, but Bexley not my manor.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/14247083.PICTURE_GALLERY__Time_at_the_bar___remembering_82_lost_pubs_of_the_Greenwich_area/

Knocked down, turned into bookmakers or tiny, overpriced flats. Modern England can piss off.

Good/Sad to see the British Sailor on that list, the pub was owned by @thecrazyaddick 's dad for a while. Dave the Rave's Karaoke nights were spectacular in the late 90's!
  • Options
    Upon further review of those 82 pubs I can't believe how many I DJ'ed at over the years (I'm in no way responsible for the demise of the SE London pub scene)
  • Options
    I was in Lordship Lane, East Dulwich, on Friday night. Every pub has changed. Some for the better but there is no variety now.

This could have happened some years ago though.....
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

Now that's a different list! Sat outside many of those in the late 60's/early 70's with a coke and packet of Golden Wonder when we lived in Plumstead. Quite a few Eltham ones missing though; Castle, Carpenters Arms, Crown, Man of Kent, Crossways, Kings Arms and Welcome Inn off the top of my head.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Drunk in 35 of those pubs, not a bad effort!!
  • Options
    37 for the Greenwich pubs and 11 for the Bexley pubs.
  • Options
    PL54 said:

I was in Lordship Lane, East Dulwich, on Friday night. Every pub has changed. Some for the better but there is no variety now.

This could have happened some years ago though.....

Is the plough still there? Spent many a fridays there when living in peckham and trying so so hard to pull the barmaid
  • Options
    Yes the Plough is, but the Grove Tavern has gone.
  • Options
    edited February 2016

iaitch said:

Antic pubs are a bit like wetherspoons hip younger brother. There are loads in south London now - The Hope in Peckham, Red Lion in Kennington and the Antelope in Tooting are all worth a look
    I have noticed these springing up recently. just had a look at their website. quite a portfolio already and they're adding to it soon. bottom of the page says they are opening the Royal Bell in Bromley as well as others.

http://anticlondon.com/
  • Options
    Strange that they want the Royal Bell as they've got the Railway at Bromley North just round the corner.
  • Options
    In the meantime Woolwich Arsenal is getting yet another gastro pub.

Its called the Guardhouse and opens on the 15th Feb.. those of you know that Geronimo Inns, ie. Oyster Shed in the City etc will know them.

Cant quite believe that this is happening in Woolwich but I guess its another reason for the Arsenal Residents to not have to venture out the gates.

http://www.theguardhousewoolwich.co.uk/

http://www.geronimo-inns.co.uk/

• Options

iaitch said:

I have noticed these springing up recently. just had a look at their website. quite a portfolio already and they're adding to it soon. bottom of the page says they are opening the Royal Bell in Bromley as well as others.

http://anticlondon.com/
    They took over my local and turned the worst pub in the area to the best. The Wallington Arms. Great selection of ale, fab food, very chilled out, bit of live music and a few events. Far away from the stab/fight fest it was before. Just hope it gets the number of punters in that it needs to survive.
  • Options
    Antic do a great job of taking on pubs in areas that had been written off. Gawd bless 'em.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

Strange that they want the Royal Bell as they've got the Railway at Bromley North just round the corner.

haven't been in there since they've taken it over. do they still have bands on?