Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pubs, and the demise of.

Comments

• Options
    Ledge said:

the hope in carshalton is magnificent

One of my locals Ledge, proper pub.

The Sun on the other side of the station, whilst a bit 'gastro' has a fantastic selection of ales which change almost weekly.
  • Options

Vincenzo... from the Deserter website has finished his article for the trust news, and will be doing the rounds of the local pubs to illustrate them...... or so he tells me. Here is a very brief extract.......My association with pre-match pubs started early, when my old Dad took me to my first games at The Valley. I liked the ritual. It meant the football took up most of the day. The match day experience was a journey, punctuated by stops, with a fevered climax of excitement when the red shirts walked onto the pitch that would either be sustained or crushed over the next 90 minutes

So if you see a bloke snapping away at a local, give him a smile, or even better buy him a pint.......
    So Stig and the other beer experts on here....... alway's good to hear of a good boozer, or the not so good ones!
    In box me and I will get back to you.........

• Options

Vincenzo... from the Deserter website has finished his article for the trust news, and will be doing the rounds of the local pubs to illustrate them...... or so he tells me. Here is a very brief extract.......My association with pre-match pubs started early, when my old Dad took me to my first games at The Valley. I liked the ritual. It meant the football took up most of the day. The match day experience was a journey, punctuated by stops, with a fevered climax of excitement when the red shirts walked onto the pitch that would either be sustained or crushed over the next 90 minutes

So if you see a bloke snapping away at a local, give him a smile, or even better buy him a pint.......
    So Stig and the other beer experts on here....... alway's good to hear of a good boozer, or the not so good ones!
    In box me and I will get back to you.........

I hope he is taking Half-Life with him.

Absolutely love the Deserter blog.
  • Options
    Ken, I'd love to help but I'm afraid that I don't know too much about pubs in Charlton as I don't live locally and drive to matches. I've only been in two pubs pre-match this season, The Bugle Horn and The White Horse. I am very much looking forward to Vincenzo's article though.
  • Options
    I'll be there for 6pm tonight , gagging for a pint
  • Options
    I'll be there by 6.30. How will I know you?
  • Options
    I'll wait outside for you
  • Options
    Thanks. I cant wait to see you drinking an ale...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sounds really romantic, you two.

• Options
    Stig said:

Ken, I'd love to help but I'm afraid that I don't know too much about pubs in Charlton as I don't live locally and drive to matches. I've only been in two pubs pre-match this season, The Bugle Horn and The White Horse. I am very much looking forward to Vincenzo's article though.

Do you mean the White Swan......in Charlton Village?.
    The group that are trying to Save the Swan are a really great bunch of people, I went to one of there meetings a few weeks ago.
    Perhaps now that it will not be another Tesco, or Sainsbury's there may be a more realistic asking price for the pub.......
    Like the trust they have secured an ACV..... it is good to see the local community trying to keep the business's going.
    Wether they succeed or not, and have to relaunch it...... we shall see?

• Options
    Paul is a good friend of mine. He's desperate for a decent local.
  • Options
    In fact Paul who's running the campaign is the son of the Belgian journalist Belgofoot who some of us know for his info. Anyway he might not want me blathering on about him on here.

• Options
    Curb_It said:

Thanks. I cant wait to see you drinking an ale...

I just can't wait to see you
  • Options
    No Ken, The White Horse on the Woolwich Road: No proper beer, just Guinness, but at least when I visited (boxing day) they guy running it was really helpful and friendly.

Hope the Swan can be saved.
  • Options
    Stig said:

No Ken, The White Horse on the Woolwich Road: No proper beer, just Guinness, but at least when I visited (boxing day) they guy running it was really helpful and friendly.

Thought the land lord was a spanner at the white horse.
  • Options
    I'd heard that rumour too, but couldn't see any evidence (apart from the fact the sign outside has been painted blue).
  • Options
    I've never seen a landlord in there. Just a 30ish yr old barman & various different barmaids.
  • Options

Stig said:

Thought the land lord was a spanner at the white horse.
    Got you....... Sorry, A pub that I have only visited once........many, many, moons ago.
    My best pal's Nan used to live in Taymar Street, which was on the corner of the next street used in the film 'Blow up'
    Got my first taste of the Glamourous world of photography
    That film had a profound effect on myself in later years.... I wonder why as a 15 year old?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wygqlfUoJEs

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just spent a really pleasant hour in the Park Tavern in Eltham. Thought that Scotty had beamed me up somewhere as it didn't feel like South East London, let alone SE9. Big range of drinks - can thoroughly recommend it.

Two blokes sitting at next table were talking about the Long Pond. The one who had been in there was bigging it up large. Didn't look like Chirpy, so I'm guessing a genuine punter. Keep meaning to give it a try, but a little off the track when waiting fore the missus.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Just spent a really pleasant hour in the Park Tavern in Eltham. Thought that Scotty had beamed me up somewhere as it didn't feel like South East London, let alone SE9. Big range of drinks - can thoroughly recommend it.

Two blokes sitting at next table were talking about the Long Pond. The one who had been in there was bigging it up large. Didn't look like Chirpy, so I'm guessing a genuine punter. Keep meaning to give it a try, but a little off the track when waiting fore the missus.

Eddie: The Park Tavern in Eltham is superb: Truman's ceramic tiled facade, and convivial within: violins and cellos playing softly, good ale on handpull, and Arts & Crafts chairs, beautifully carved in oak - 1930s: students of William Morris.

Bill and I were dissecting the game at The Valley - the necessary post-mortem - and I reminded him up about having seen Curved Air in a club in Chislehurst recently, and that Sonja Kristina is still beautiful, just as she was at Goldsmith's in 1976.

Then a fellow at the bar said: "Excuse me for overhearing - but I am the sound engineer for Curved Air." Well, once I had picked myself up off floor, it turned this fellow has been their tour manager since the year dot and was just popping in for a sherbet while waiting for a curry. We swapped notes about the Canterbury scene and: "Do you remember Principal Edwards Magic Theatre, at the Roundhouse, in 1973?"

"Do I know Principal Edwards Magic Theatre?" he said. "I used to help Belinda Bourquin into her costumes - she lives around here in Eltham..."

Jesus Christ Almighty, that's fantastic!

• Options
    The White Cross on North Cray Road. Anyone been in? Big fan of it to be fair. Decent selection of proper beer most of the time, good atmo, and no garbage live music! Great combo.
  • Options

The White Cross on North Cray Road. Anyone been in? Big fan of it to be fair. Decent selection of proper beer most of the time, good atmo, and no garbage live music! Great combo.

It does good food. It's just the location, that's a killer for me. I have to drive there, which obviously limits drinking severely.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Yep, you're there for a reason, not a pub you stumble across.

• Options

Look forward to seeing you Eddie.
  • Options
    Looks like the Copperfield/Catford Bridge Tavern may have served it's last pint.

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/11826382.PICTURES_AND_VIDEO__Catford_Bridge_Tavern_goes_up_in_flames/?ref=mac
  • Options
    Went there for a mates birthday. Thought it was alright but much better boozers elsewhere.
  • Options
    i hear the white swan in charlton villge has been taken over by the same community pub group that owns the pelton arms? probably old news!