Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pubs, and the demise of.

Comments

• Options
    At present, I am near to the Kentish Drovers in Peckham.  The boozer is as scary as the area itself.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Stig said:
    There are some great 'Spoons in London. The Knights Templar, The Cross Keys and The Liberty Bounds are all well worth a visit. A challenger for the worst spoons ever: The one in Aberystwyth railway station. Huge queues to get served an sticky tables that haven't been wiped down since their new millennium party.
    The spoons next to The Emirates in Highbury is amazing. In an old converted cinema. Called The Coronet. 

It is a cracker, I was in there about a month ago.

The spoons in Colchester is very good as well, a bright spot that was before the FA Cup disaster.
    It's great to sit on the stage in the Colchester one and play spot the star with all the mannequins up in the gods.  I also like the Peter Cushing themed one (Whitstable?).
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Chunes said:
    Stig said:
    There are some great 'Spoons in London. The Knights Templar, The Cross Keys and The Liberty Bounds are all well worth a visit. A challenger for the worst spoons ever: The one in Aberystwyth railway station. Huge queues to get served an sticky tables that haven't been wiped down since their new millennium party.
    The spoons next to The Emirates in Highbury is amazing. In an old converted cinema. Called The Coronet. 

The spoons in Colchester is very good as well, a bright spot that was before the FA Cup disaster.
    It's great to sit on the stage in the Colchester one and play spot the star with all the mannequins up in the gods.  I also like the Peter Cushing themed one (Whitstable?).

Correct regards Whitstable, loads of other nice boozers there instead of the Spoons.   The Royal Naval Reserve in particular.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Stig said:
    Think the crosse keys has shut.
    Ouch, so it has. Though according to the website it's only temporary.  https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/all-pubs/england/london/the-crosse-keys-city-of-london
    Closed for refurbishment, but the refurb has taken ages.

The jampot has never been so busy!
  • Options
    bickley arms lovely pub but £19.35 for 2 morettis and a guinness is ridic 
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Chunes said:
    Stig said:

The Capitol…..Wetherspoons in Forest Hill is pretty good, also built in an old cinema.
  • Options
    Whitstable's pub scene is pretty damn boring. 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    went to whitstable for my 30th couple of years ago although covid rules thought the same just dont get the massive hype to the place we also stayed in the fishermans huts which are overpriced and tiny 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Do you include the wonderful Ship Centurion in that opinion…..always been one of my favourite pubs, wins awards on a fairly regular basis.
    The Neptune is also well worth a visit.
  • Options
    Personally find them very simple pubs. The usual beer offering. Food menus are both very simple. I'm not sure what the big catch is personally, but that's the beauty of the British pub I suppose and why you get like minded folk in each one :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mendonca said:
    Whitstable is pretty damn boring. 

I was drinking in the Duke of Cumberland the other day. The owner is a bit of a wanker, must be a Palace fan. 
  • Options
    Curb_It said:
    Actually going back to the Pilot, legend has it that Sky offered the then landlord an eye watering sum of money to hire it out for Millennium eve. The landlord turned it down as he said his regulars would have nowhere to drink. One of you on here will know this story, if I’m correct.

he should've taken the cash, then had a 'free' day after that for all his regulars as a thank you
  • Options
    It's a long time since I've been to Whitstable, but I thought it was alright. It does (did?) suffer from being in the middle of Shepherd Name territory though. 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Do you include the wonderful Ship Centurion in that opinion…..always been one of my favourite pubs, wins awards on a fairly regular basis.

Had a drink in the Ship Centurian 2 weeks ago when down there for a wedding the following day.  Barman, poss landlord, in Millwall shirt serving. Group of musicians out the back practicing/playing but all around the seats, not on stage. Sort of morris dancer type outfits, but they had painted green or very dark faces.  Fascinating. Quite liked the music they were playing, wasn't uplifting like morris dancing music, and they all looked rather miserable with the paint on their faces sitting playing, but intrigued as to what it was all about. 
  • Options
    Went to the Crown in Sundridge Park.

Been refurbished having been an Indian restaurant although built as a pub.

Upmarket place and expensive but it is Sundridge Park.

Decent food and wide range of beers.
  • Options

My go to now. 
  • Options
    mendonca said:

Had a drink in the Ship Centurian 2 weeks ago when down there for a wedding the following day.  Barman, poss landlord, in Millwall shirt serving. Group of musicians out the back practicing/playing but all around the seats, not on stage. Sort of morris dancer type outfits, but they had painted green or very dark faces.  Fascinating. Quite liked the music they were playing, wasn't uplifting like morris dancing music, and they all looked rather miserable with the paint on their faces sitting playing, but intrigued as to what it was all about. 
    Did this actually happen or was it a nightmare or omen alluding to something?
    It does sound like a kind of dream. I swear it happened. 
  • Options

Not a great pic but, this is them. Although there were more of them, we couldn’t get them all in without making it obvious. 
  • Options

My go to now. 
    Was there for Sunday lunch yesterday. Gardens great and the kids love playing at the bottom. Think they’ve done really well with it but the beer option is limited especially on the real ale front.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    working up in halifax several times a month now and ive noticed the prices up here creeping up. pint of carling in the local opposite the office is £2.40 anything other than that its minimum £4.50 a pint 
  • Options
    working up in halifax several times a month now and ive noticed the prices up here creeping up. pint of carling in the local opposite the office is £2.40 anything other than that its minimum £4.50 a pint 
    Halifax is quite a nice place tbf, I'd rather stay there than in Leeds.
  • Options
    Who wouldn’t.
  • Options
    When worked for Lloyds used to go Halifax quite often, the town is actually not bad at all. An property and beer was a lot cheaper. 
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    its a nice town bits of it are a dump bit like everywhere is a nice thing that you can drive 10 mins and be on the moors, am doing a ground hop tonight watching the town vs gateshead at the shay stadium. 
  • Options
    its a nice town bits of it are a dump bit like everywhere is a nice thing that you can drive 10 mins and be on the moors, am doing a ground hop tonight watching the town vs gateshead at the shay stadium. 
    edit: this is next tuesday got weeks confused 
  • Options

Not a great pic but, this is them. Although there were more of them, we couldn’t get them all in without making it obvious. 
    That does look bizarre, sort of thing you get in Cornwall!
  • Options

£3.75 for a Leffe Blonde drew me in.