Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Pubs, and the demise of.

Comments

• So he was rubbing up to Katie Price on the side?
    Leave poor Katie out of this, she loved me.
  • Gribbo said:

That roundabout/ mottingham village will become one big traffic jam now 
  • The Oak on Widmore Green in Bickley has new owners and a refurbishment.

It's now a "bar" with local craft beers and a OK menu.

Went in last night and it was expensive but OK other than the very loud bingo calling over the loud speakers.

There are vacant shops nearby that would make a decent microbrewery.
    So difficult to park around there for pub or shops 
  • I had the misfortune to visit The Porcupine about 7 years ago and have no hesitation whatsoever in saying that (along with The Portobello in West Kingsdown), it was the most horrendous shyte hole imaginable.
    It may well have been good in its day but as it has been for many a day now……..sad to say it’s no loss.
  • Tonight we are going to sample the pub opened by the chaps from Deserter, The Shirkers Rest. New pubs opening = good news.  
    New cross?
  • I've been in some scummy pubs, but the Porcupine would be right up there at the top of the list. Saw some real sights in there over the years
  • Knew the people who looked after the porcupine garden and animals 30-35 years ago and I thought it was a nice pub then.
    Not sure whether the closing of the relatively nearby Royal Tavern, The King and Queen and the Royal Eltham displaced certain clientele contributing to its downfall.

• Are you having that Tavern?
  • Sponsored links:

• ROTW said:
    Are you having that Tavern?
    I knew this would spark a response.
    I’ll add my old local the Yorkshire Grey and the Dutch House to the list to try and get a few more bites.
  • Tonight we are going to sample the pub opened by the chaps from Deserter, The Shirkers Rest. New pubs opening = good news.  
    New cross?
    Whereabouts in New Cross?
  • Croydon said:
    Tonight we are going to sample the pub opened by the chaps from Deserter, The Shirkers Rest. New pubs opening = good news.  
    New cross?
    Lewisham Way.
  • edited August 2022
    bobmunro said:
    Croydon said:
    Tonight we are going to sample the pub opened by the chaps from Deserter, The Shirkers Rest. New pubs opening = good news.  
    New cross?
    Lewisham Way.
    Next to the Marquis of Granby.
  • I can confirm that Tthe Shirkers Rest is a very fine little pub, with a decent selection of beers. Their own best is very quaffable and only £3.80 a pint. 
    Good to hear that I'm sure my mate in Lewisham will visit soon if he hasn't already.
  • I can confirm that Tthe Shirkers Rest is a very fine little pub, with a decent selection of beers. Their own best is very quaffable and only £3.80 a pint. 

I went in there after the Sutton game, but was pretty wrecked by then so do not remember much about the place.
  • Been in the Shirkers a couple of times, it's a big step up and probably already one of the best pubs in the borough. I live in Lewisham so a reasonable walk or short bus ride away. I can see it becoming a regular haunt (I think the only place that even sells real ale near my end of Lewisham is the Wetherspoons so there's not a lot of competition). Good beer, and they have a mild for those that like it
  • The Shirker’s Rest is terrific and fills in a bit of an ale gap around New Cross. Really good keg beers too.

Apparently the mild sells extremely well. 
  • rananegra said:
    Been in the Shirkers a couple of times, it's a big step up and probably already one of the best pubs in the borough. I live in Lewisham so a reasonable walk or short bus ride away. I can see it becoming a regular haunt (I think the only place that even sells real ale near my end of Lewisham is the Wetherspoons so there's not a lot of competition). Good beer, and they have a mild for those that like it
    Shame Sutton's Radio closed.

• Sponsored links:

• In Battersea Power Station 'village' last night, which was surprisingly pleasant.
    I thought I got away with it paying £15 for an IPA and a Gin n Tonic.

• This place yesterday was like going back in time.  5pm and about 20 people in there, the locals were great.
    £7.60 for two pints as well, I paid that for one last week.
  • Went to The Potting Shed, Langley (near Maidstone) last night. Very nice pub, great garden, good food and decent selection of beers. Bit pricey, but the boss was paying, so rude to say no.

It's owned by Elite pubs who have a small chain of 13 pubs (soon to be 14) around Kent (mostly the Maidstone area). All have similar menus/beer selection, all done up very nicely.
  • edited August 2022
    The landlady of the Anglesea Arms has just posted that the pub is back open.  They must have won their appeal which is good news for them. 
  • edited August 2022
  • edited August 2022
    The future of this pub hangs in the balance as police attempt to convince the council to revoke its licence CREDIT Kiro Evans - free to use
  • What is the Pilot at North Greenwich like price wise?  
  • What is the Pilot at North Greenwich like price wise?  
    I would guess it's on the expensive side.

I used to love the Pilot. But gradually over the years it's been given the corporate rebranding treatment and every time a bit more of the old pub dies.
  • I can remember it with a 30ft brick wall opposite
  • ROTW said:
    I can remember it with a 30ft brick wall opposite
    Wasn't there a power station there?