Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pubs, and the demise of.

Comments

• Options
    Think that is further upstream. By the old swimming baths at Greenwich. LU power station.
    However, I may be mistaken
  • Options
    ROTW said:
    I can remember it with a 30ft brick wall opposite
    Used to ride past it after fishing off the Greenwich Yacht Club jetty. I'd be practically the only person down there on a Sunday afternoon back then. You'd never have thought that in years to come, some of the biggest stars on the planet would be playing in front of 1000s of people a few yards away....
  • Options
    I haven't been to The Pilot since before lockdown, but it was expensive then (and Fullers).
  • Options
    Guvnor of The Valley pub when we came back made a few quid then bought The Pilot pre-Dome in its original 2000 incarnation. Fair to say it wasn't a bad bit of business 
  • Options
    Thanks for the info (some of it maybe a little too much #Curb_It :D ). River Ale House it is...  
  • Options
    Which Spoons out of interest?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    clb74 said:
    Looking at my email receipt this morning from my trip to the Spoons, my round last night was 

2 x Stella = £6.70
    2 x Guinness = £6.50
    1 x San Miguel = £3.45

Total of 5 drinks with table service for £16.65. Lot of other pubs that would have been about £34. 
    The trouble is you get the likes of @Elfsborg in the spoons.
    The wife thinks we might be twins mate, I'm normally up first thing in the morning telling her how much the drinks came to and if weve been in the pub during happy hour how much weve saved
    I wonder if Spoons will shortly be opening up a branch or two in Brazil?
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Which Spoons out of interest?
    Flying Boat, Dirty Dartford 
  • Options
    Elephant And Castle, Baresford Square =

3x lager, change from a tenner.

Just tag yourself in a posh pub for effect.....
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Looking at my email receipt this morning from my trip to the Spoons, my round last night was 

2 x Stella = £6.70
    2 x Guinness = £6.50
    1 x San Miguel = £3.45

Total of 5 drinks with table service for £16.65. Lot of other pubs that would have been about £34. 
    The wife thinks we might be twins mate, I'm normally up first thing in the morning telling her how much the drinks came to and if weve been in the pub during happy hour how much weve saved
    Me looking like you? I know I'm ugly but that is taking the p***.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

2 x Stella = £6.70
    2 x Guinness = £6.50
    1 x San Miguel = £3.45

I wonder if Spoons will shortly be opening up a branch or two in Brazil?
    Weve had to hire Wembley stadium for little legs leaving drinks.
    Got 10000 people going.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:

I know I sounded snobby slating it the others week but honestly, I walk past that pub about six times a week and it doesn’t appeal at 8am when it’s busy and it really doesn’t around 6 let alone at 10. The sights I see…as a woman I would be very intimidated. 

I maybe misjudging it? That and the Gunpit, never been tempted by either! 
  • Options
    Thanks for the info (some of it maybe a little too much #Curb_It :D ). River Ale House it is...  
    if you are there earlier you could visit the new tap room Brew by Numbers at Morden Wharf. It’s a 20 min walk to Ale House from there. I’ve not been myself but if it’s your thing.  Their own website isn’t very good but if you google it it looks pretty good.

https://bbno.co/pages/taprooms

• Options
    Curb_It said:
    Gribbo said:

I know I sounded snobby slating it the others week but honestly, I walk past that pub about six times a week and it doesn’t appeal at 8am when it’s busy and it really doesn’t around 6 let alone at 10. The sights I see…as a woman I would be very intimidated. 

I maybe misjudging it? That and the Gunpit, never been tempted by either! 
    You aren't misjudging it at all Bren.

It's a complete sh t pit. Genuinely didn't realise places like it still existed, so part of the attraction on my part is nostalgia, but mostly the sub 3 quid pint.

The amount of us in there the other Saturday, I'd like to think we raised the standard of clientele at least by a few notches, which also confirms how bad it usually is 😆
  • Options
    My mate is organising a pub crawl next weekend from Woolwich to Greenwich along the river. He has advised the group that the first stop will be the Watermans Arms. Now, he either means the Anchor or he’s got early onset Alzheimer’s 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

2 x Stella = £6.70
    2 x Guinness = £6.50
    1 x San Miguel = £3.45

Just returned from Orlando, that would have been £60. 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Actually going back to the Pilot, legend has it that Sky offered the then landlord an eye watering sum of money to hire it out for Millennium eve. The landlord turned it down as he said his regulars would have nowhere to drink. One of you on here will know this story, if I’m correct.

• Options
    Curb_It said:
    Actually going back to the Pilot legend has it that Sky offered the then landlord an eye watering sum of money to hire it out for Millennium eve. The landlord turned it down as he said his regulars would have nowhere to drink. One of you on here will know this story, if I’m correct.

I've heard similar
  • Options
    The pilot use to be go to place for my dad and his workmates when the building works were called off due to rain. In them days  (70’s & 80’s) it was in the back of nowhere and the chances of being found to return to work when it was dry were  small.
  • Options
    Can't even compare a proper pub to a spoons imo. Entirely different experiences 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    What is the Pilot at North Greenwich like price wise?  
    I’m in here now. @Algarveaddick £5:20 for an Amstel 

Not been for years, it’s bloody lovely 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
  • Options
    Looks like the prices have attracted a bumper crowd - just like The Valley!
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Off_it said:
    Looks like the prices have attracted a bumper crowd - just like The Valley!
    More people drinking at the front but by no means busy. 

Got a 30 min walk in front of me which would put people of
  • Options
    The Pilot is my pub of choice for match days. The Pride is always in good shape and there’s Hophead if you like hoppy pale ales. Food is very good. It is on the pricey side, but you can get 15% off if you invest in Fullers shares!