Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pubs, and the demise of.

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2022
    walked passed a few months ago, been meaning to put it on here, what would of been a pub though have no recollection of it. Still has signage outside. 

The Village Blacksmith

Google says its temporary closed but it looks like its been closed for years. 

On Hillreach road, Woolwich. very close to the artillery barracks. Anyone know this pub? and what is to happen with it? 

Village Blacksmith Woolwich  whatpubcom
  • Options
    walked passed a few months ago, been meaning to put it on here, what would of been a pub though have no recollection of it. Still has signage outside. 

The Village Blacksmith

On Hillreach road, Woolwich. very close to the artillery barracks. Anyone know this pub? and what is to happen with it? 

It was owned by CAMRA for a time, it has been closed since 2004, more information here.
    http://www.dover-kent.com/2014-project-c/Village-Blacksmith-Woolwich.html
  • Options

The Village Blacksmith

Played my first ever dart match there, for the Yorkshire Grey aged 15 or 16 around 1985/6.
    A lot of the pubs/clubs in the Plumstead and District league are no longer.
  • Options

The Village Blacksmith

Used to be my local. When it was owned by Camra it was an oasis of real ale. Wasn’t surprised when it closed. Very small and no scope for any grub barring a pickled egg or cheese roll. Manager was a bloke called Nick. Looked like Trotsky. Camra moved him to a bigger pub in Cambridge and after he left it steadily declined. 
  • Options
    Curb_It said:
    I hate that sort of thing.

But then I saw where it was and thought, 1) it's not exactly surprising, and 2) Arsenal pub, so f**k em!
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Curb_It said:
    I hate that sort of thing.

But then I saw where it was and thought, 1) it's not exactly surprising, and 2) Arsenal pub, so f**k em!
    More like the woke Islington set who’ve got used to the quiet from lockdown. Hopefully common sense will prevail.
  • Options
    And people already moaning about the "noise" from a pub. In central Greenwich.

If you look on a map there doesn't look to be a residential property with 100 yards of the pier.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The Village Blacksmith

Played my first ever dart match there, for the Yorkshire Grey aged 15 or 16 around 1985/6.
    A lot of the pubs/clubs in the Plumstead and District league are no longer.
    Also played darts there many times, playing for the RoD, Antigallican, Royal Oak and Horse&Groom - in that order! Same team but we were nomads!
  • Options

Waiting for @clb74

I cannot pass through Bromley without visiting the South spoons.
  • Options

Before going to football yesterday I found this very nice boozer outside Portslade station.
  • Options

Waiting for @clb74

and once in its hard to get out what with the sticky floors. crap heap of a place. 
  • Options

Waiting for @clb74

and once in its hard to get out what with the sticky floors. crap heap of a place. 

You should try the one in Peckham, that makes this one look spotless.

Tbf, the bar staff here leave a great deal to be desired in the way of manners.
  • Options

Waiting for @clb74

never been to that one. worst one i knew was at lee green but that's improved so for me the worst wetherspoons that i have had the miss fortune to ventured into in London is The White Swan at Islington. 
  • Options

Waiting for @clb74

never been to that one. worst one i knew was at lee green but that's improved so for me the worst wetherspoons that i have had the miss fortune to ventured into in London is The White Swan at Islington. 
    Went to the one in Lee around 4 years ago, it was okay, at least the staff did not grunt at you.
    Although a bit cramped and claustrophobic, I do like The Beehive in Brixton High Street.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Which Spoons out of interest?
    Flying Boat, Dirty Dartford 
    Nice one mate. My middle daughters favourite pub. I can’t stand it. It’s a 30 minute hike to the khazi up 8 flights of stairs 
  • Options
    There are some great 'Spoons in London. The Knights Templar, The Cross Keys and The Liberty Bounds are all well worth a visit. A challenger for the worst spoons ever: The one in Aberystwyth railway station. Huge queues to get served an sticky tables that haven't been wiped down since their new millennium party.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    There are some great 'Spoons in London. The Knights Templar, The Cross Keys and The Liberty Bounds are all well worth a visit. A challenger for the worst spoons ever: The one in Aberystwyth railway station. Huge queues to get served an sticky tables that haven't been wiped down since their new millennium party.
    Think the crosse keys has shut.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Spoons in Orpington closing today. 
    Allways looked quite busy whenever I walked past it.
    Another one bites the dust. 
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Portsmouth spoons must be a contender too. As above, plus locals literally stop their drunken conversations to stare at outsiders.
  • Options
    Just met Colin Walsh at a pub in Belvedere. Legend
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Think the crosse keys has shut.
    Ouch, so it has. Though according to the website it's only temporary.  https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/all-pubs/england/london/the-crosse-keys-city-of-london
  • Options
    Quite often see him in the Rad on match days. 
    Absolutely a legend. 
  • Options
    Rochester 'spoons was a good one. Not sure what it's like now though
  • Options
    Stig said:
    The spoons next to The Emirates in Highbury is amazing. In an old converted cinema. Called The Coronet. 
  • Options
    Spoons in Orpington closing today. 
    Allways looked quite busy whenever I walked past it.
    Another one bites the dust. 

The one down the road in Petts Wood is a bit dark and dingy, BUT hopefully it will remain open.
  • Options
    Quite often see him in the Rad on match days. 
    Absolutely a legend. 

I spoke to him recently, he said he only goes in there so he can have a chat with you.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Stig said:
    The spoons next to The Emirates in Highbury is amazing. In an old converted cinema. Called The Coronet. 

It is a cracker, I was in there about a month ago.

The spoons in Colchester is very good as well, a bright spot that was before the FA Cup disaster.