Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

EAST KENT ADDICKS

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2013
    I think implicit in that is an assumption that the problem lay in the administration. It didn't. It is in the culture of professional football. So while it's reasonable to say let's put aside the problems encountered in the past and try again, or indeed carry on trying, the reality is that you are deluding yourself if you believe changing the faces will resolve the issues. It's the culture within the game that is wrong and that is very difficult for anyone to address, even with someone as sympathetic are Chris Powell currently in charge of the team at Charlton.

The other point to make is that while I believe in supporters' groups and helped to set up some of them, 20 years ago, those involved always overestimate their importance, especially since the advent of the internet. They have a role to play and can add value for those who choose to attend and participate. They can help the club understand its supporters better. But the vast majority of supporters will never be involved or even interested in what they do.

Going back to the beginning of this thread, the biggest concentration of support in East Kent is in Thanet. The vast majority of those people are as likely to attend a supporters' event in Ashford as they are to play for the first team next season, whatever you call that branch.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    The expansion of Ashford & Shepway Addicks to incorporate the whole of East Kent was agreed on the understanding that it would still be based in Ashford using our existing first class facilities at the Kennington, where the average attendance at our meetings last season was in excess of 50 people. Our Committee have already done the hard work associated with building a group up from scratch and unless others based in East Kent are prepared to come forward to do likewise, ours will continue to be the only Supporters Branch located in the East Kent area.
  • Options
    I think that it should be made clear that if others were to come forward and wish to form a new Supporter's Group in Thanet or any other part of East Kent, our Committee would be pleased to stand aside and revert to representing Ashford and Shepway only.
  • Options
    Is it any wonder that players dont fancy it when they get abused by "fans" on Twitter for not being sufficiently upset that one of our local rivals got promoted?

Granted that the people doing the abusing are probably not the sort who would go to a supporters meeting, but the players arent to know that. If its a public meeting and anyone can turn up then it wouldn't be top of my list - and why should it? As far as your average player is concerned he gets paid to play football - that's the be all and end all.
  • Options
    Have also always found these inter-group "feuds" a bit odd.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Is it any wonder that players dont fancy it when they get abused by "fans" on Twitter for not being sufficiently upset that one of our local rivals got promoted?

Granted that the people doing the abusing are probably not the sort who would go to a supporters meeting, but the players arent to know that. If its a public meeting and anyone can turn up then it wouldn't be top of my list - and why should it? As far as your average player is concerned he gets paid to play football - that's the be all and end all.

That can only be because they don't read or take seriously the terms of their contracts, though, because it's written in to them that they have to do a certain amount of work with the community as part of their job.

A few years ago we actually got into trouble with the PFA because our players weren't seen to be doing enough by their own union. They compile league tables and the supposed model club Charlton wasn't anywhere near the top. This was partly a recording issue because nobody was counting involvement in CACT events at the training ground and that was put right. These days we do pretty well because of the community trust, but there is still a bit of a gap when it comes to supporters.

• Options
    Sad to hear of our own players getting grief on twitter, we really do have some pricks as fans, what do they think they'll achieve?
  • Options
    There is no "vast majority disinterested in branches" but fully understand how that opinion is formed when a typical branch secures 100 in attendance and there are perhaps 5 active supporters clubs.

The most recent trust survey of over 2,250 fans has shown c.45% are interested in branches and have given their post code and email address so there are 100+ for Bromley, nearly 200 for NWK etc.

Question is what is it they want? For these 1,000 fans will not all turn out to their next local meeting if indeed there is a local one?!

I have ideas but it's not for for me to drive this one... All I would say is that the Trust has grown to nearly 500 members and 3,000 twitter/email contacts in just 6 months by embracing new technologies, working with the club and putting on just one player meeting - the launch.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Have also always found these inter-group "feuds" a bit odd.

Agree but that was a long time ago and the old main branch that caused most of that is long gone, thankfully.

The remaining groups just get on with doing what they do independently.

People who come to Bromley enjoy the meetings (both the guests and meeting fellow Addicks) and those who don't want to hear what's said. We raise some money for the Club, nothing significant but better than nothing and help some other club causes and charities. That is more than enough for me personally.

Do we think we are "important"? Can only speak for Bromley but that made me laugh. I think players, managers and directors speaking directly to fans is important but not Bromley Addicks. I'm a big fish in a small pond and quite happy and proud of that.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Well said Henry. I am sure that you speak for all of the independent groups, who work so well together.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Seconded, ashfordaddickted.

Returning to the issue of players to meetings, I've always been led to understand that the further away from SE London the meeting's venue is, then the more difficult it is to persuade players to travel there. In " the old days" I believe Johnny Robinson & Steve Brown were regulars at W Sussex and Brighton meetings with little interest from other players who lived out of the county. And, less meetings with high profile players usually makes recruitment of new members more difficult...

However, on the other side of the coin, SGs based furthest from The Valley have usually used that fact to their advantage when it comes to transporting supporters either to home matches or, especially in the past, to away games. And this has historically been a significant factor in increasing members from certain areas , especially those from the Maidstone area. Those Groups closer to The Valley do not have that advantage.

So, maybe the above examples show how the recruitment and retention of members is influenced by geography, whilst also showing that one balances out the other to some degree.

As Henry rightly stated, we all do the best we can with what we have...
  • Options
    edited June 2013

Can you stop bringing our personal life into things

; - )
  • Options

Can you stop bringing our personal life into things

; - )
    But you are such a BIG fish, Henry.....!

• Options
    GET A ROOM YOU TWO!
  • Options
    delroofer said:

GET A ROOM YOU TWO!

As long as it's big enough for nla as well !

• Options

delroofer said:

GET A ROOM YOU TWO!

As long as it's big enough for nla as well !

You make me sick, you pervert!

: - )
  • Options
    Oh perlease. Is this the sort of goings on we can expect 'Inter branch?'
  • Options

Oh perlease. Is this the sort of goings on we can expect 'Inter branch?'

We have to have SOME perks !

• Options
    Wasn't like that in my day :-(
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Charlton Athletic FC ‏@CAFCofficial 9m
    .@Andrew10dog, @BenHamer21 and @Popey1992 are attending an East Kent Addicks Q&A tonight http://bit.ly/19YTTC7 #cafc
  • Options
    They kept that quiet... on here that is!!
  • Options
    of course they did b wouldn't want people knowing owt
  • Options
    They are usually happy to advertise their do's on here.. just noticed they didnt bother with this one.
  • Options
    Ashfordgate.

Notice this is the nearest branch to Belgium as well.
  • Options

now im in Sittingbourne ive seen plenty of cafc shirts/car stickers in the town and also on the isle of Sheppey is there any supporters club round here as ashford is still tricky to get too on a week night, anyone on here from Sittingbourne, Sheppey rainham (len glover I know you are near rainham) Whitstable ect know of anything?

I second this! Supporters club meeting nearer sittingbourne please? :-)
  • Options
    any stories?
  • Options
    boooooooooooooo
  • Options

any stories?

Would be nice - but last time EKA had a meeting it was 'silent' afterwards...!