Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

EAST KENT ADDICKS

Comments

• Options
    Does the EKB have a sub committe?
  • Options
    Ross said:

Perhaps I've been at work all day and haven't had a chance to write out a massive spiel yet?

Patience ladies and gents....

surely Kent protects itself?
  • Options
    cfgs said:

Ross said:

Perhaps I've been at work all day and haven't had a chance to write out a massive spiel yet?

You need to thank me for sorting out Wednesday!
  • Options
    Ross said:

cfgs said:

Ross said:

You need to thank me for sorting out Wednesday!
    if you hadn't I would simply avoid your calls/texts.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Gumbo said:

Does the EKB have a sub committe?

When myself, @AlexWright & Colin Finch ran the Lewisham branch (many strikers ago) that basically was it. 3 people. No real committee,(sub committee ?), just people (in my case) wanting to enjoy an evening with some of my heroes. (Keith Jones was a particular favourite).

People were quick to critcize the choice of venues or the guests but, when asked for help for the running of the branch, people either didn't want to know or couldn't/didn't have the time.

CL, twitter, facebook, etc, wasn't about then, I like to think that if it had been we would have been 99% open about what was said, the 1% being, maybe, a liability or "in house".

Just my opinion. Sorry.

[Sorry, I know others helped as well. Just felt that sometimes we we couldn't do right for wrong.]
  • Options
    Ross said:

Right, dinner has been eaten, so it is time for a write up. This is pretty off the cuff as I didn't make any notes due to dealing with the raffle, so apologies if I have missed anything out.

First of all, let me say that if you ever get to be at a Q+A session with Hughesey you are in for an absolute treat. The man is hilarious, passionate, intelligent, and he will not shut up! His Kermorgant impression is phenomenal. One highlight of the night was him shouting over the room to John - 'Oi, chairman! Are we gonna start the second half or what?!'. Ben Hamer and Nick Pope both came across very well (when they could get a word in), and all 3 are model professionals and represented the club fantastically.

Straight away AH cleared up the Cameron Stewart issue. AH stated that CS asked him about Leeds, so AH gave his view about the club and the area. CS was not offered a deal here, so the chance of a 3 year deal at Leeds was hard to impossible to turn down.

As Leaburns Daddy stated above, none of the players have met Roland yet, with Powell, Paul Hart and some of the academy set up being the only ones to have had conversations with him. Ah believes that Roland sees Charlton at the top of his ownership pyramid, and will focus his attention of us, using his other clubs to filter through the best talent for us to use. In terms of contracts, AH felt that Powell should get a new contract first, and players will follow, as CP is the man at the top, the main man.

As well as the pitch improvements, the plans to start the training ground build are due to start soon. AH and BH both stated that the training ground needs to be improved. Not so much the state of the pitches, but more the facilities. AH was surprised that a couple of million wasn't invested into the drainage/undersoil heating at The Valley and improvements at the training ground whilst we were in the Prem, and the improved training facilities could help us greatly.

AH said that Powell is so highly respected. He, and the rest of the team, do things for Powell even if they don't agree with them, just because he has asked them to, because they think that much of him. Powell often asks AH what he thinks of certain tactics, training methods and players. AH feels that he would be a brilliant coach and eventually a manager because he knows how to handle his team mates, and Powell does too.

BH and NP were asked about keeper drills, and how much harder it is to face these new lighter, swerving balls. Both said that it was a lot harder, but unless they are struck exactly in the right place, not much has changed. Coming for crosses remains the same. They were also asked about Thuram (the new keeper - due to be unveiled next week), and both said that they were confused by the signing. But both remained optimistic, with BH wanting to regain the number 1 shirt from Ben Alnwick, and NP being so highly rated (he is going back to York City next week). BH hopes to be picked for the FA Cup, but will miss tomorrow's match due to a slight setback in training.

AH said that he is straight talking to all of the players, and even told off Adjarevic in training the other day for doing something stupid, and to get him to believe in the Charlton ethos. Adjarevic took it on board straight away and apologised. AH always speaks to the academy players to give them help and experience.

All 3 felt that the reserve league should come back, due to the fact that players out of the first team aren't staying match fit due to only 3 over 21 players being able to play for the development squad. However, CP tries to arrange as many behind closed doors friendlies to keep up match fitness.

AH said that Paul Scholes was the best player he ever played against, and when he was at Reading and they signed Martin Keown, he asked him what the Arsenal changing room used to talk about. The answer, every Monday morning, was Paul Scholes. AH said that he felt he was the greatest player England have had in the last 20 years.

All 3 said that they were very surprised and disappointed at the Lawrie Wilson song from the Sheff Weds game, and that it had affected LW.

AH said his favourite player at the club is Dale Stephens, and he loves watching him play.

Now for the brilliant AH story that he told us. Whilst he was at Leeds, they were at a hotel one night before an away game when he and Robert Snodgrass got hold of Lee Bromby's phone. They phoned Nick Montgomery from Sheff Utd and posed as Craig Levine, asking NM if he wanted to play for Scotland. They asked him for his suit size, his shoe size and even his tie size. NM kept saying how much of an honour it would be. AH said that they would speak to the secretary of Sheff Utd the next day and a car would pick him up after the match to go to Scotland to sort everything out. Cue Sky Sports News and a whole other host of news outlets picking up that NM had been picked to play for Scotland. At the match the next day, NM went and spoke to the Sheff Utd manager who didn't have a clue about it, and then the secretary. He said he would wait until after the game and then chase it up. Obviously, nothing come of it, and AH and RS phoned NM up 'haha gotcha. 1-0!'. When Leeds played Sheff Utd later in the season, and NM had found out about it being AH and RS, he was chomping at the bit, and the wind up continued!

That is all i can think of for now.

Thanks, Ross, and well done.
  • Options
    A couple more things.

BH said he and Ben Alnwick have a bet on for the beards. Unfortunately, BA's missus loves his beard too much, so BH feels he may have lost this one.

AH's family still live in Leeds as his daughter goes to school up there and he didn't want to move her.

AH has a 3 game rule, where if he is not in the squad or the subs for 3 games he goes and speaks to the gaffer. We are unbeaten in every game he has played in for us bar Bournemouth away this season!
  • Options
    cheers ross good stuff, how you lot remember all this is beyond me
  • Options
    Ross said:

Right, dinner has been eaten, so it is time for a write up. This is pretty off the cuff as I didn't make any notes due to dealing with the raffle, so apologies if I have missed anything out.

Really enjoyed reading your report, Ross. Thank you!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Oggy Red said:

Ross said:

Really enjoyed reading your report, Ross. Thank you!

Although the lack of detail regarding what you had for dinner is unacceptable ;0)

Love reading these write ups from around the various supporter meetings. Always strikes me that despite recent trying times the squad seem full of character, have a cracking camaraderie and are good professionals, in the SCP mould of course.

Thanks
  • Options
    Some good stuff in there, thanks Ross. Nice to see we're number A number 1, top of the heap.
  • Options
    Thanks Ross
  • Options
    Very grateful Ross, cheers pal.

Great story!
  • Options
    Good write up, thanks.

Genuine question.

Having read the write up would you be more or less likely to go to a future Q + A (forgeting geography)
  • Options
    Thanks Ross. What stands out for me is that song affected Lawrie Wilson. Perhaps those that sung it should think on that a bit.
  • Options
    Well done & thanks, Ross.

Really sorry we had to cancel our Q & A earlier this season with Hughsey and Woody.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I am quite close, and I have been to a few of these but I was feeling like shit with a cough, sore throat and splitting head ache so I gave it a miss.

Otherwise I would have gone. The venue is great (as is the food they put on) and all of the events I've been to have been good value.
  • Options
    cheers for the write up and interesting about the LW song.
  • Options
    Thanks Ross. CP said that Andy was invaluable to him and your stories gives a pretty good idea of how much Andy contributes off the pitch.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thanks. What is the lawrie Wilson song?
  • Options
    Seen the thread on it now.
  • Options
    Much appreciated Ross.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    welldone, that's the stuff fans who cant attend these things due to geography like to hear great stories from AH and good coments from the other 2
  • Options

Thanks Ross. What stands out for me is that song affected Lawrie Wilson. Perhaps those that sung it should think on that a bit.

Thanks a lot Ross. Agree, Large.
  • Options
    thanks Ross
  • Options
    Right own up,

You knew today was off didn't you?
  • Options
    I liked AH's comments about reserve league football. I am a strong believer that the current situation means that players are not match fit when they get back ion the first team and take unwarranted stick. A competitive reserve league woudl help players coming into the team eg Evina
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

I liked AH's comments about reserve league football. I am a strong believer that the current situation means that players are not match fit when they get back ion the first team and take unwarranted stick. A competitive reserve league woudl help players coming into the team eg Evina

Also, players selected when they are not match fit are vulnerable to injury.