Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Inverness Calley preseason friendly 27th July at home

Comments

• We will get to see first-hand Football's next star Ben Greenhalgh.
  • I recall when walking around Inverness a few years ago seeing far more Rangers shirts than Inverness ones, but maybe things have changed now...
  • I actually think its a decent match up.

ICT finished 4th last season, 2pts off 3rd. If we were announcing Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen etc, who all finished lower that ICT, people would be pleased.

Its all about prep for the season. Top me there is more benefit playing a Scottish team that a more prestigious European 'name' that play a completely different style and tempo of football that what we do in the Championship.

There's always someone with rose-tinted glasses who uses logic and reasoned anlaysis rather a knee jerk reaction to stick up for club while daring to "dig out" other fans by disagreeing with them.

: - )
  • Agree with AFKA and Callum, plus my brother will be pleased, they're his Scottish team!

So what would people pay if it's made "pay what you like"?????
  • I actually think its a decent match up.

ICT finished 4th last season, 2pts off 3rd. If we were announcing Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen etc, who all finished lower that ICT, people would be pleased.

Its all about prep for the season. Top me there is more benefit playing a Scottish team that a more prestigious European 'name' that play a completely different style and tempo of football that what we do in the Championship.

Good post.

I recall when walking around Inverness a few years ago seeing far more Rangers shirts than Inverness ones, but maybe things have changed now...

Unlikely.
  • It's a decent match for the players, not necessarily one for the fans' tastebuds.

I'm more bothered about Charlton and the way we perform rather than the opposition in fixtures like these anyway.
  • eldavide said:

So what would people pay if it's made "pay what you like"?????

About a chree-fiddeh.

• know of at least half a dozen ICT fans coming down.

That's half of their home attendance..
  • thankfully I'm on holiday for this one
  • If it was a big named club and we got spanked, not only would people be moaning but it would be pointless for the players.

Good matchup and will go to watch
  • Sponsored links:

• There will be a good few exiled Jocks who will go along. Better than playing some 3rd level nobodies from the English Leagues, and we cant afford to police etc anyone "good"
  • edited June 2013
    Sounds like an attractive fixture to me.

Decent SPL side managed by ex-England stalwart.
    First time we've ever played them, I believe.

Premier League sides want fees to arrange friendlies with and policing is prohibitively expensive.
    Not sure what some people expect?

• Probably be £10 adults £5 kids as thats the going rate for friendlies these days.

Im happy theres a Valley friendly after all....
  • Will there be haggis on offer on the concourses for our neighbours north of the border?
  • Will there be cholesterol on offer on the concourses for our neighbours north of the border?
  • CAFCTrev said:

Will there be cholesterol on offer on the concourses for our neighbours north of the border?

Howsabout a piped band for half time entertainment?

• CAFCTrev said:

Will there be cholesterol on offer on the concourses for our neighbours north of the border?

Shall we all go wearing kilts?
  • edited June 2013
    Potentially a loss maker for the club however it's priced, but will meet the objectives of avoiding a (significant full recovery) police bill, reasonable opposition and a work out on our own pitch. Plus Cally won't command much of a fee. Lucky to get 5,000 paying customers, I would think, although they will likely give thousands away.
  • Shall I wear my Rangers shirt?
  • CAFCTrev said:

Hose pipe banned?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2013

Potentially a loss maker for the club however it's priced, but will meet the objectives of avoiding a (significant full recovery) police bill, reasonable opposition and a work out on our own pitch. Lucky to get 5,000 paying customers, I would think, although they will likely give thousands away.

Potentially a fair few ICT fans will make the journey down, in their eyes they could see it as a day out in London as well as a footy game....
  • CAFCTrev said:

Potentially a loss maker for the club however it's priced, but will meet the objectives of avoiding a (significant full recovery) police bill, reasonable opposition and a work out on our own pitch. Lucky to get 5,000 paying customers, I would think, although they will likely give thousands away.

Potentially a fair few ICT fans will make the journey down, in their eyes they could see it as a day out in London as well as a footy game....
    Inverness is about 600 miles away, so I reckon we should let then stay for the weekend.
  • ICT have the second lowest home support in the spl, averaging 4000 fans.
    Will we even bother giving them an away end?
  • ICT have the second lowest home support in the spl, averaging 4000 fans.
    Will we even bother giving them an away end?

We could do what Brentford are doing for their Celtic friendly, give them two stands?
  • CAFCTrev said:

I can't see them bringing more than a few hundred, but I don't know much about them. Bearing in mind you need to look at the financials on a cautious basis, I wouldn't be relying on more than 3,000 paying home fans if they charge £10/£5 (more than that would just be silly, but who knows!?). Even with aways that's about £20k net if you're lucky. You may squeeze out a bit more revenue at a flat £5.

Out of that you've probably got to pay a minimum 150 stewards with on-costs to meet the safety certificate requirements just to open the east and west stands, more if you use the Jimmy Seed. Then you've got to pay for traffic management, street cleaning, etc, plus any police presence, including outside the ground for this game. Plus any appearance fee the opposition can command. With this sort of opposition, that might be based on profit, which removes the risk.

All this is why the club is very cagey about home friendlies, but in the end there is a football requirement - and of course the attendance assumptions may prove pessimistic.
  • edited June 2013
    se9addick said:

CAFCTrev said:

Inverness is about 600 miles away, so I reckon we should let then stay for the weekend.
    Well the Promclaimers said they were capable of walking 500 miles, and they were Scottish....
  • edited June 2013
    CAFCTrev said:

Probably be £10 adults £5 kids as thats the going rate for friendlies these days.

Im happy theres a Valley friendly after all....

I would expect them to charge £5 for adults and £1 for kids if they want anybody to turn up. I find myself disagreeing with AFKA yet again. It may well be a decent match up on the pitch but the fans would like an attractive fixture at The Valley considering we give up in the cup each year . This game could be played at Sparrows Lane if it's all about the football.
    I'm sure the club could have come up with a more inspiring fixture than this.
  • The other option was to make it a Help for Heroes fundraiser and agree minimal/no fee to ICT on that basis.

Some stewards might also have been willing to donate wages on the same basis although I know it is unfair to expect people to work without pay regardless of it being a good cause.

Then make it £5/£1 minimum but pay what you like over that.

Lots of pit falls and assumptions in there. Easy to say when I'm not the person planning it.

But as it meets the prime objective ie giving the first team a decent pre-season game consideration could have been given to making it a charity match. Perhaps it was considered but not deemed practicable.

We would still have had to pay the Police and some staff plus other costs so it would have cost the Club money and we don't know how much give there is in the budget this season.

But it would have been the "right" thing to do IMHO.
  • CAFCTrev said:

se9addick said:

CAFCTrev said:

Well the Promclaimers said they were capable of walking 500 miles. They were Scottish so....
    To be fair though their incentive was to impress their lover with a physical display of their commitment. If, instead of being "the man who walked a thousand miles to fall down at your door" he was going to "be the man who walked a thousand miles to watch Charlton Athletic play a meaningless friendly" it would have been a very, very different song.
  • se9addick said:

CAFCTrev said:

se9addick said:

CAFCTrev said:

Well the Promclaimers said they were capable of walking 500 miles. They were Scottish so....
    To be fair though their incentive was to impress their lover with a physical display of their commitment. If, instead of being "the man who walked a thousand miles to fall down at your door" he was going to "be the man who walked a thousand miles to watch Charlton Athletic play a meaningless friendly" it would have been a very, very different song.
    It would seem that the distance they would need to travel is most of the 500 mile walking threshold, presumably at this point they would need to traditional modes of transport to cover the final 100miles. The song wasnt specific about any issues arising for distances greater then 500 miles, and how these would be dealt with.