Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Inverness Calley preseason friendly 27th July at home

Comments

• Options

Wait. What's the history between Inverness and Palace?

Didn't know there was any. They have an eagle on their badge but I am guessing the link is pretty tenuous, like Aberdeen and Wimbledon/MK (both the Dons).

• Options
    Miserableoldgit, a name after my own heart. We Have actually had a change of plan. After further investigation we found a good offer in Albert Dock. Looks easier on public transport to ground, and to do the touristy stuff on the Friday.
  • Options
    Hi folks

I'm an ICT fan who is coming down to the Valley on the 27th with a few other ICT boys. Should be a good trip, we've been down to Fleetwood & Bristol in the past couple of seasons and we've had a brilliant time meeting the local fans and having a beer or three!

Where's the best pre match boozers?

Stevie
  • Options
    Greenwich
  • Options
    Mate not sure if you know where Charlton is ! its in the Royal Borough of Greenwich---a World Heritage site. The Cutty Sark, Royal Park, Maritime Museum, Observatory , Thames Barrier are all a gnats knob from the ground plus good boozers and eateries in Greenwich.

No need to go out the Borough-----------enjoy.
  • Options
    Red_Card said:

Hi folks

I'm an ICT fan who is coming down to the Valley on the 27th with a few other ICT boys. Should be a good trip, we've been down to Fleetwood & Bristol in the past couple of seasons and we've had a brilliant time meeting the local fans and having a beer or three!

Where's the best pre match boozers?

Stevie

Hello Steve

Nice to hear you'll be coming down for the game. Pre-match boozing has to be thought through, because the few local pubs are shite: the Antigallican, just a few minutes from The Valley, welcomes away supporters. Much better to visit Greenwich - only three stops and ten minutes on the train from Charlton - where there are loads of decent boozers, Try the Richard the First, in Royal Hill, for Young's tasty brews; or the Spanish Galleon, a few yards from the Cutty Sark (built in Scotland!), for Shepherd Neame's excellent ales. Enjoy your weekend!
  • Options

The other option was to make it a Help for Heroes fundraiser and agree minimal/no fee to ICT on that basis.

Some stewards might also have been willing to donate wages on the same basis although I know it is unfair to expect people to work without pay regardless of it being a good cause.

Then make it £5/£1 minimum but pay what you like over that.

Lots of pit falls and assumptions in there. Easy to say when I'm not the person planning it.

But as it meets the prime objective ie giving the first team a decent pre-season game consideration could have been given to making it a charity match. Perhaps it was considered but not deemed practicable.

We would still have had to pay the Police and some staff plus other costs so it would have cost the Club money and we don't know how much give there is in the budget this season.

But it would have been the "right" thing to do IMHO.

Excellent post. How can we ensure that these imaginative ideas get seen by the club?

• Options
    edited June 2013
    We are staying in Woolwich but heard theres not too many good pubs around there so will probably be out and about in Greenwich, We Fly down on the morning of the game so should be outside the pub for opening time :)
  • Options
    Red_Card said:

We are staying in Woolwich but heard theres not too many good pubs around there so will probably be out and about in Greenwich, We Fly down on the morning of the game so should be outside the pub for opening time :)

do you know how many of the ICT lot are going?

• Options
    Not sure yet since it was only announced on Friday but i know of about 20 who are coming down from Scotland plus there will probably be a good few who are based down in England. Looking forward to this game, i know we may not be a glamour tie for your lot but im expecting a good competitive run out from both teams.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Excellent pre season game in my view. Not sure about lodging in Woolwich Mr red card. I expect a good tough game. The question though is will there also be four and twenty virgins coming down too?
  • Options
    stuarty said:

Miserableoldgit, a name after my own heart. We Have actually had a change of plan. After further investigation we found a good offer in Albert Dock. Looks easier on public transport to ground, and to do the touristy stuff on the Friday.

Nothing like staying close ah?
  • Options
    The place in Woolwich looks nice plus its only a place to have a kip for a few hours then shower as we are planning to be in the local watering holes for most of our time :)

Haha not too much of any virgins coming down from up here mate!

• Options
    Red_Card said:

The place in Woolwich looks nice plus its only a place to have a kip for a few hours then shower as we are planning to be in the local watering holes for most of our time :)

Maybe not the watering holes in Woolwich though !
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Red_Card said:

Think we will be drinking around Greenwich and mingling with some Charlton fans hopefully.
  • Options
    Red_Card said:

se9addick said:

Red_Card said:

Think we will be drinking around Greenwich and mingling with some Charlton fans hopefully.
    Greenwich has nicer pubs, not sure you'll bump into many Addicks there before a pre-season game though. Best to start off in Greenwich and then jump on a train at around half one (5 mins between Greenwich and Charlton) and drink in the Lib or Con clubs opposite the station for some pre-match banter.
  • Options
    A sweaty having a shower now i know you aint being serious 8)
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Red_Card said:

se9addick said:

Red_Card said:

Greenwich has nicer pubs, not sure you'll bump into many Addicks there before a pre-season game though. Best to start off in Greenwich and then jump on a train at around half one (5 mins between Greenwich and Charlton) and drink in the Lib or Con clubs opposite the station for some pre-match banter.
    Yeah thats what we will be doing
  • Options

Tut Tut nth London :)

We 'Jocks' look after ourselves and will be smelling of roses when we pop down for a beer or three :)
  • Options
    Red_Card said:

We 'Jocks' look after ourselves and will be smelling of roses when we pop down for a beer or three :)
    except those from Dingwall yeah?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Red_Card said:

By 'smelling of roses' I assume you mean you will be having a Glasgow bath and drowing yourselves in cheap aftershave?
  • Options
    Glesca bath = more drinking time
  • Options
    DRF said:

Red_Card said:

By 'smelling of roses' I assume you mean you will be having a Glasgow bath and drowing yourselves in cheap aftershave?
    well we are from Inverness not Glasgow so what point are you trying to make mate?

We are a friendly bunch who are looking forward to coming down for a nice weekend and some banter but keep it friendly boys :)
  • Options
    red card the overwhelming majority of our fans are decent and friendly, and i hope for a decent turn out, which will possibly happen if we sign anybody interesting, but certainly in my case because we're playing a Scottish team, and your club has an interesting recent history what with the merger and on field success.
    I don't get how folk can be negative towards Scotland, one of the most beautiful places on the planet, mind you everybody knows a Scot, because there is at least one in every single pub in Britain.
    Do you lot have a song...ironically ours is Mull of Kintyre. BTW having said what i've said, Methil is one of the dearest places on earth, so Scotland isn't all whisky and scenery.
  • Options
    i mean dreariest
  • Options
    seth plum said:

red card the overwhelming majority of our fans are decent and friendly, and i hope for a decent turn out, which will possibly happen if we sign anybody interesting, but certainly in my case because we're playing a Scottish team, and your club has an interesting recent history what with the merger and on field success.
    I don't get how folk can be negative towards Scotland, one of the most beautiful places on the planet, mind you everybody knows a Scot, because there is at least one in every single pub in Britain.
    Do you lot have a song...ironically ours is Mull of Kintyre. BTW having said what i've said, Methil is one of the dearest places on earth, so Scotland isn't all whisky and scenery.

yeah London is full of us Jocks :)

It'll be a good workout for both teams. Its our last game before the SPL season starts so I expect us to be near full fitness and play our best possible eleven.

Methill is a toilet so no offence taken :)
  • Options
    We will keep it clean Red Card you sweatys always have a good sense of humour if not smell

8)

• Options
    Go to The Lib and you'll be welcomed, there are often a few away fans in before games. I think it can be restricted after but should be fine for a friendly.

I however, will probably be sipping on shandy as I've learned the hard way not to try and keep up with Scots.
  • Options

We will keep it clean Red Card you sweatys always have a good sense of humour if not smell

8)

You love us really mate :)

• Options
    RedPanda said:

Go to The Lib and you'll be welcomed, there are often a few away fans in before games. I think it can be restricted after but should be fine for a friendly.

I however, will probably be sipping on shandy as I've learned the hard way not to try and keep up with Scots.

Shandy is banned from our trip! Our flight leaves at 7am on the day of the game so expect us to friendly and very merry :)