Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Inverness Calley preseason friendly 27th July at home

Comments

• CAFCTrev said:

se9addick said:

CAFCTrev said:

se9addick said:

CAFCTrev said:

Potentially a loss maker for the club however it's priced, but will meet the objectives of avoiding a (significant full recovery) police bill, reasonable opposition and a work out on our own pitch. Lucky to get 5,000 paying customers, I would think, although they will likely give thousands away.

Potentially a fair few ICT fans will make the journey down, in their eyes they could see it as a day out in London as well as a footy game....
    Inverness is about 600 miles away, so I reckon we should let then stay for the weekend.
    Well the Promclaimers said they were capable of walking 500 miles. They were Scottish so....
    To be fair though their incentive was to impress their lover with a physical display of their commitment. If, instead of being "the man who walked a thousand miles to fall down at your door" he was going to "be the man who walked a thousand miles to watch Charlton Athletic play a meaningless friendly" it would have been a very, very different song.
    It would seem that the distance they would need to travel is most of the 500 mile walking threshold, presumably at this point they would need to traditional modes of transport to cover the final 100miles. The song wasnt specific about any issues arising for distances greater then 500 miles, and how these would be dealt with.
    You're forgetting that after the first 500 miles, inexplicably, he was going to walk 500 more. How fit must this bird have been ?
  • As the last friendly before the season kicks off, the opposition are important and so is the match. With that in mind, this is a very good choice in my view. Terry Butcher has a growing managerial reputation and Caley are no mugs. They should give us a good test but we should win if we are firing on all cylinders. The size of the gate and all that will be nice-to-haves on the back of good opponents. We have had bigger home friendlies in the last the years which have not been good matches to watch or good prep for the first match. Let's welcome the Highlanders who do make the trip and not worry about those who can't be bothered. I'm just gutted I will be on holiday.
  • se9addick said:

CAFCTrev said:

se9addick said:

CAFCTrev said:

se9addick said:

CAFCTrev said:

Potentially a loss maker for the club however it's priced, but will meet the objectives of avoiding a (significant full recovery) police bill, reasonable opposition and a work out on our own pitch. Lucky to get 5,000 paying customers, I would think, although they will likely give thousands away.

Potentially a fair few ICT fans will make the journey down, in their eyes they could see it as a day out in London as well as a footy game....
    Inverness is about 600 miles away, so I reckon we should let then stay for the weekend.
    Well the Promclaimers said they were capable of walking 500 miles. They were Scottish so....
    To be fair though their incentive was to impress their lover with a physical display of their commitment. If, instead of being "the man who walked a thousand miles to fall down at your door" he was going to "be the man who walked a thousand miles to watch Charlton Athletic play a meaningless friendly" it would have been a very, very different song.
    It would seem that the distance they would need to travel is most of the 500 mile walking threshold, presumably at this point they would need to traditional modes of transport to cover the final 100miles. The song wasnt specific about any issues arising for distances greater then 500 miles, and how these would be dealt with.
    You're forgetting that after the first 500 miles, inexplicably, he was going to walk 500 more. How fit must this bird have been ?
    They could of stayed at home:

• edited June 2013
    I agree with the notion of it being a help for hero's event. But, if it were would it see a significant police presence? Could be at risk of being disrupted by both sides of the fence. Doubt the OB would turn up for free and without them it would be unlikely to get the go ahead.
  • ICT supporters would have to be pretty hard core to come down to London for a pre season friendly vs Charlton, the cost of the train/flights down, then a hotel for the weekend in the expensive holiday season...

For them, it's an interesting match, but hardly the sort of glamour fixture which would make you rearrange your summer holiday plans!
  • With alcohol sales & deep fried mars bars as a special we will make a fortune, even if they only bring a 100!
  • It's unbelievable.

We came 9th in the Championship, and some of you think we should be getting Barcelona at home!

I'm looking forward to it, as we haven't had a home pre season friendly for a while.
  • It's unbelievable.

We came 9th in the Championship, and some of you think we should be getting Barcelona at home!

I'm looking forward to it, as we haven't had a home pre season friendly for a while.

I had my heart set on 1970s Brazil at home but ICT will do....
  • Looking forward to this.
  • edited June 2013

CAFCTrev said:

Probably be £10 adults £5 kids as thats the going rate for friendlies these days.

Im happy theres a Valley friendly after all....

I would expect them to charge £5 for adults and £1 for kids if they want anybody to turn up. I find myself disagreeing with AFKA yet again. It may well be a decent match up on the pitch but the fans would like an attractive fixture at The Valley considering we give up in the cup each year . This game could be played at Sparrows Lane if it's all about the football.
    I'm sure the club could have come up with a more inspiring fixture than this.
    No, because the manager always wants to play on the home pitch, especially if there are new players. Or indeed a new pitch, after last season. I think the alternative would be to play the match at The Valley behind closed doors.

In terms of what the fans want, the question is how much we should expect the club to risk losing on a pre-season friendly. I've seen the maths when serious opposition is concerned and in most cases it would be likely to cost the club tens of thousands of pounds. The key issue is full recovery of the cost of policing, which doesn't apply to competitive matches.
  • Sponsored links:

• We get this every year about the cost of a home friendly being prohibitive.

So how do other clubs manage? And what about smaller clubs playing us at home - they seem to manage ok.
  • It's a home friendly. I'm happy.

Don't care who we play. I'm glad it decent opposition though.

COYR!!
  • edited June 2013
    Not sure why the club bothered, even if they got Man U to come down a fair few would have said, "They're crap now Fergie has left."
  • I got my hair cut in Inverness in 2009. If we beat ICT, it will be a good scalp.
  • ICT beat Celtic at Parkhead last season so they should be a good test for us....
  • Indeed, also heard that John Barnes will be presenting the matchball in respect of services to both clubs...). And if football terms CS and Trev, spot on, were we to get a promoted club first game then will be an ideal test. Stranger things have happened!
  • CAFCTrev said:

ICT beat Celtic at Parkhead last season so they should be a good test for us....

Face it Trev, it will be shite...

"You gotta hold and give....."
  • Thanks for the memories...).
  • Would have preferred this at ITC`s gound it would be one of the shortest journeys I will have had to make this coming season.Cracking pubs in Inverness as well
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2013
    Off_it said:

We get this every year about the cost of a home friendly being prohibitive.

So how do other clubs manage? And what about smaller clubs playing us at home - they seem to manage ok.

Smaller clubs are likely to have less prohibitive cost structures, because they have smaller stadia. A more telling case would be examples of friendlies hosted by clubs with similar stadia to ours and then looking at the crowds they get to see if we would too.

But I'm only explaining how Charlton look at it and why we haven't seen big names with significant support at The Valley in pre-season over many years.

Fact is the club could take the hit and do it, assuming they laid plans in April rather than June, but personally I think if they are going to spend tens of thousands on a nice-to have item there are better and ultimately more beneficial things they could do.
  • Well I cannot wait. Wonder if we could make the match a 'People's Cup' again?
  • edited June 2013
    The most northerly professional/league club in Britain ? .. and a very proud club so I believe. This is a good choice. Will give us a good workout against different opposition and will give Invy a nice few London away days. I have always been an admirer of Terry Butcher, a quintessential English tough guy although he was born in Singapore !!
  • IF theClub has no plans to stage a money raiser for Lee Rigby or help for Heroes, can't "we" arrange something for the day of the ICT friendly ?

A bucket collection ( if permission could be obtained) would be simple but surely we can come up with something that requires a bit more thought and a bit more work for a potentially better monetary result ?

Off the top of my head , how about 11 mascots to walk out with our lads at the cost of, say £50 per head ( considerably less than the Club charges!) Then a penalty shoot out at half time against perhaps Bob Bolder and Nick Pope using both ends of the ground at the same time in a knockout format with the most successful 2 meeting in front of the Covered End for a decider. Could charge £25 or so per person competing with a maximum of 8 at each end ....I'm sure there are plenty of Addicks who would love the chance to get on the pitch legally !

We could also ask each Charlton player in the matchday squad to donate a signed item for auction on here in the week following the match.

And in addition, a bucket collection could still take place so that everyone has an opportunity to contribute.

Just a thought....
  • The most northerly professional/league club in Britain ? .. and a very proud club so I believe. This is a good choice. Will give us a good workout against different opposition and will give Invy a nice few London away days. I have always been an admirer of Terry Butcher, a quintessential English tough guy although he was born in Singapore !!

British Forces Singapore!! Reckon that makes him quite English!!!
  • The most northerly professional/league club in Britain ? .. and a very proud club so I believe. This is a good choice. Will give us a good workout against different opposition and will give Invy a nice few London away days. I have always been an admirer of Terry Butcher, a quintessential English tough guy although he was born in Singapore !!

His dad was a squaddie out there I believe .. as the Duke of Wellington is supposed to have quipped .. 'Jesus was born in a stable, that does not make him a horse'
  • edited June 2013
    Ok it's not quite a 'glamour tie' but its Charlton at the Valley after a couple of months without any footy, surely if your not out of the country / lapping it up somewhere in this country, there's no excuse?

British, surely ?
  • IF theClub has no plans to stage a money raiser for Lee Rigby or help for Heroes, can't "we" arrange something for the day of the ICT friendly ?

A bucket collection ( if permission could be obtained) would be simple but surely we can come up with something that requires a bit more thought and a bit more work for a potentially better monetary result ?

Off the top of my head , how about 11 mascots to walk out with our lads at the cost of, say £50 per head ( considerably less than the Club charges!) Then a penalty shoot out at half time against perhaps Bob Bolder and Nick Pope using both ends of the ground at the same time in a knockout format with the most successful 2 meeting in front of the Covered End for a decider. Could charge £25 or so per person competing with a maximum of 8 at each end ....I'm sure there are plenty of Addicks who would love the chance to get on the pitch legally !

We could also ask each Charlton player in the matchday squad to donate a signed item for auction on here in the week following the match.

And in addition, a bucket collection could still take place so that everyone has an opportunity to contribute.

Just a thought....

Better to do it with a proper crowd?
  • CAFCTrev said:

"You gotta hold and give....."

Blimey that shirt doesn't look like it has much 'give' left in it , i'm guessing Barnsey was to Charlton shirts what JFH was too Charlton shorts.