Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wimbledon /Andy Murray

Comments

• Options
    JT said:

That geezers missus was unreal.

#Straightred

Ffs provide the evidence
  • Options
    Not a huge tennis fan, too many British people "supporting" non-British players for my liking, but delighted a couple of those non Brits the "glory hunters" love to cheer are out. And that noisy tart Sharipova is out as a bonus. Come on Murray!
  • Options

JT said:

That geezers missus was unreal.

#Straightred

Ffs provide the evidence
  • Options
    I hope Murray stays in and eventually wins it. Not because I particularly give a toss about tennis, but Irvine Welsh always does Twitter commentary on his matches and they are comedy gold.
  • Options
    Looking good at the mo,only real obstacle is Djokovic but hopefully he doesn't underestimate any of the opponents as that could be his downfall he should get to the final but as Nadal, Federer have shown its not formality
  • Options

Centre Court no longer his second home - after today and Olympics - and both times strong crowd support for his opponent...

That crowd support had zero effect in last year's Wimbledon final.
  • Options
    dabos said:

Centre Court no longer his second home - after today and Olympics - and both times strong crowd support for his opponent...

Plus there was clearly strong support for Federer too. As always.
  • Options

Looking good at the mo,only real obstacle is Djokovic but hopefully he doesn't underestimate any of the opponents as that could be his downfall he should get to the final but as Nadal, Federer have shown its not formality

Don't think Murray is the sort to underestimate anyone, he's always very professional.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Don't think Murray is the sort to underestimate anyone, he's always very professional.
    I do hope so but it can happen, hopefully he doesn't mentally think i should win this now or i have a better chance to do so
  • Options
    This year everytime we back a favourite they get dumped out of Wimbledon, i now make Djokovic as favourite...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

se9addick said:

I do hope so but it can happen, hopefully he doesn't mentally think i should win this now or i have a better chance to do so
    I guess it would be hard not to think that you've been dealt a good hand but according to the BBC he's been out on a practice court today working on his returns for so long that his practice jersey is now drenched in sweat. I guess that's another danger - that he thinks "I'll never get an opportunity as good as this" and burns himself out too early trying to ensure he takes it
  • Options
    Love to watch Murray playing on Grass surface now, he glides round the court. Never been much of a fan of tennis but the Scot has got me hooked.
  • Options
    dabos said:

I remember a number of people saying for the Olympic final Murray won he had the support of the whole crowd almost as if it was a football match whereas as you suggest Wimbledon was split.
  • Options
    Another view of Mrs (Anfisa) Stakhovsky

• Options
    Good luck to the fella , i guess he really means it when he says new balls please. :-0
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Was going to camp over tomorrow and go on Friday but its supposed to be pissing it down so not sure what to do now.

So we arrived at the Wimbledon overnight queue campsite at 3pm on Thursday night, we were number 589 in line and they have 520 available tickets for centre court each day. By the time we got in the queue to go in we were 20 people away from centre court tickets, which was so frustrating. We turned down court no1 and 2 (for which they also have 500 tickets) as the weather meant we might not see much tennis there. When the gate opened at 9.30am we headed straight to the resale queue to queue for centre court tickets. The re-sale queue is on Henman Hill so we could watch Laura Robson destroy her opponent on the big screen which was good and finally, at around 4.30pm, after 25 hours of queuing, we got our tickets for Centre court. They were in an amazing position, right on the net seven or eight rows back among the debenture holders (I felt a bit under dressed wearing a hoody and a football shirt amongst the suits!).

The Murray game itself was good, although I still feel he needs to play someone who will stretch him before he meets Djok. It will be difficult for Murray to get raise his game for that final if he spends two weeks in second gear - which it felt like he was in last night.
  • Options

dabos said:

I remember a number of people saying for the Olympic final Murray won he had the support of the whole crowd almost as if it was a football match whereas as you suggest Wimbledon was split.
    I think the effect of the crowd is massively overplayed. Murray is a brilliant player - whether the crowd are behind him or not is probably irrelevant. He lost to Federer at Wimbledon but beat him at the Olympics, because Federer was better on the day at Wimbledon and Murray better at the Olympics. The support may have been as you described it, but inferring that the crowd made the difference in those results is a giant leap of faith.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

se9addick said:

Was going to camp over tomorrow and go on Friday but its supposed to be pissing it down so not sure what to do now.

So we arrived at the Wimbledon overnight queue campsite at 3pm on Thursday night, we were number 589 in line and they have 520 available tickets for centre court each day. By the time we got in the queue to go in we were 20 people away from centre court tickets, which was so frustrating. We turned down court no1 and 2 (for which they also have 500 tickets) as the weather meant we might not see much tennis there. When the gate opened at 9.30am we headed straight to the resale queue to queue for centre court tickets. The re-sale queue is on Henman Hill so we could watch Laura Robson destroy her opponent on the big screen which was good and finally, at around 4.30pm, after 25 hours of queuing, we got our tickets for Centre court. They were in an amazing position, right on the net seven or eight rows back among the debenture holders (I felt a bit under dressed wearing a hoody and a football shirt amongst the suits!).

The Murray game itself was good, although I still feel he needs to play someone who will stretch him before he meets Djok. It will be difficult for Murray to get raise his game for that final if he spends two weeks in second gear - which it felt like he was in last night.
    Well done, after all that wait you deserved to get into centre court.

It's strange watching Murray in the early rounds, as I can't get used to having 100% confidence in a British sportsman, and expectation that he will comfortably get through instead of struggling and having bad patches, but he is in top form at the moment.
  • Options

You could say the same though about Djokovic - the draw is opening up for both players but neither have had a hard match to date.
  • Options

You could say the same though about Djokovic - the draw is opening up for both players but neither have had a hard match to date.

I think Djokovic has people like Ferrer, Berdych and Gasquet and whilst ther aren't top four players they'll give you a good work out, I'm not sure Murray has anyone of that calibre in his section. Also Djok had almost a full grand slam in the French a couple of weeks ago that Murray missed out on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Laura Robson needs somebody to tell her to start playing...

Noticed a few one sided games already today - hope this isn't another.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Gasquet/Tomic on the red button is a pretty good match at the moment.
  • Options
    She's on her way out
  • Options
    Ha maybe not yet!
  • Options
    One set all, come on Laura!
  • Options
    Erakovic having a melt of epic proportions!
  • Options

Erakovic having a melt of epic proportions!

Don't jinx it - Robson got break points against her!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Playing SO much better now and Erakovic not, plus some good challenges - come on Laura!
  • Options
    Getting nervy now.
  • Options
    Get in Robbo. Cracking comeback