Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Royal Baby

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2018

I had a long post on this thread last night but deleted the draft.

• Options

I had a long post on this thread last night but deleted the draft. It basically covered quite a bit of what's been said this morning though, coincidentally. I also just wanted to ask, with all the cultures the Country seems to embrace, why would some people be happy to see a large part of British culture dismantled?

What do you mean when you say 'a large part of British culture dismantled' ? Are you just referring to the monarchy?
  • Options

Leuth said:

A great day for England yet again. Another addition to the long line of history that most of the world can only dream of having.

A proper feel good factor multiplier.

As the saying goes 'haters gonna hate'. Some people are just naturally miserable. Best left to their own devices.

Don't engage with them as they are looking to feed the misery and sadness that courses through their veins.

This form of hatred is usually made up of people that proclaim to be bastions of anti-hate.

GSTQ.

It's a free country as far as I'm aware and presumably you don't have to be a royalist. If you don't worship the royals how does that make you miserable exactly?

Strange line of argument.
    This. I don’t hate the royals. I just believe that monarchy is an anachronism and democracy is better served by a republic.

So when you look around all the countries in the world SHG, you think there is a problem with democracy in this country?
    No I don’t but my stance is one of principle rather than practicality. My feeling is that it’s absurd to elevate one family to a position of unbridled privilege and wealth and to put them on a pedestal above all others. I just can’t get my head around it.

At least here that comes with a rich history and tradition.

In other countries it seems to come through corruption
    Hang on one cherry-pickin' second here
    Hi @Leuth , it's probably not worth me asking tbh but here goes. You seem to have run away from missed my reply on the Windrush thread so thought I'd ask if you received the reply you wanted.

The reason I ask is that you seemed extraordinarily keen to pose your questioning of how I know some of those affected but not so keen to follow it up after I answered you.

Here's the link:

http://www.forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/81735/the-windrush-scandal#latest
    :trollface:
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Leuth said:

A great day for England yet again. Another addition to the long line of history that most of the world can only dream of having.

A proper feel good factor multiplier.

As the saying goes 'haters gonna hate'. Some people are just naturally miserable. Best left to their own devices.

Don't engage with them as they are looking to feed the misery and sadness that courses through their veins.

This form of hatred is usually made up of people that proclaim to be bastions of anti-hate.

GSTQ.

It's a free country as far as I'm aware and presumably you don't have to be a royalist. If you don't worship the royals how does that make you miserable exactly?

Strange line of argument.
    This. I don’t hate the royals. I just believe that monarchy is an anachronism and democracy is better served by a republic.

So when you look around all the countries in the world SHG, you think there is a problem with democracy in this country?
    No I don’t but my stance is one of principle rather than practicality. My feeling is that it’s absurd to elevate one family to a position of unbridled privilege and wealth and to put them on a pedestal above all others. I just can’t get my head around it.

At least here that comes with a rich history and tradition.

In other countries it seems to come through corruption
    Hang on one cherry-pickin' second here
    Hi @Leuth , it's probably not worth me asking tbh but here goes. You seem to have run away from missed my reply on the Windrush thread so thought I'd ask if you received the reply you wanted.

The reason I ask is that you seemed extraordinarily keen to pose your questioning of how I know some of those affected but not so keen to follow it up after I answered you.

Here's the link:

http://www.forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/81735/the-windrush-scandal#latest
    :trollface:
    Thanks. I'll take that as you being put back in your box.

:trollface: indeed.
  • Options

I had a long post on this thread last night but deleted the draft. It basically covered quite a bit of what's been said this morning though, coincidentally. I also just wanted to ask, with all the cultures the Country seems to embrace, why would some people be happy to see a large part of British culture dismantled?

What do you mean when you say 'a large part of British culture dismantled' ? Are you just referring to the monarchy?
    Yeah, or is our Monarchy not part of Our cultural heritage?
  • Options

I think there will always be a debate about replacing the monarchy with an elected head of state - the ultimate argument is whether it will improve things and will it cost more?

If you're going to change things you have to be pretty confident the change is going to work. It's easy to concede that change could make things a lot worse.

No system will be perfect and to make wholesale changes is potentially very dangerous. I do feel there needs to be reform with the way the upper chamber operates but with the Head of State it's not so clear for me.

• Options

I think there will always be a debate about replacing the monarchy with an elected head of state - the ultimate argument is whether it will improve things and will it cost more?

If you're going to change things you have to be pretty confident the change is going to work. It's easy to concede that change could make things a lot worse.

No system will be perfect and to make wholesale changes is potentially very dangerous. I do feel there needs to be reform with the way the upper chamber operates but with the Head of State it's not so clear for me.

Oh, come on! When have we ever decided to make a big constitutional change in the UK without knowing for certain that it is going to work? We would never make potentially dangerous, wholesale changes to the way the country is run without being absolutely certain that we would be better off and that everyone would agree that it's the right thing to do.

Wait, what..?
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Oh, come on! When have we ever decided to make a big constitutional change in the UK without knowing for certain that it is going to work? We would never make potentially dangerous, wholesale changes to the way the country is run without being absolutely certain that we would be better off and that everyone would agree that it's the right thing to do.

Wait, what..?
    Chizz said:

There are loads of other threads on which to vent your dislike of specific politicians. Brexit. So, in order not to drag this one - about a present issue - can you confine comments to the Windrush scandal the Monarchy

• Options
    Chizz said:

Wait, what..?
    Anything involving human beings has the potential to be a disaster.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anyway, steering the thread back to the royal baby and away from whether we should become a republic, what names are likely to be chosen?

And when are the names likely to be announced?
  • Options
    Jeremy
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Anyway, steering the thread back to the royal baby and away from whether we should become a republic, what names are likely to be chosen?

I wonder if they have to discuss the name with others? Would they be allowed to call the baby Dave or Terry?
  • Options
    Chizz said:

either Dave or Achmed I reckon.
  • Options
    I reckon he should be named Philip as the auld fella ain’t gonna last forever and it would be a lovely gesture to the Duke
  • Options
    edited April 2018

I had a long post on this thread last night but deleted the draft.

I know the feeling....
  • Options

I reckon he should be named Philip as the auld fella ain’t gonna last forever and it would be a lovely gesture to the Duke

Yes. His grandfather would be very flattered, I'm sure.
  • Options

Rubbish name though.
  • Options

Arthur is the current favourite but the value must be in Donald at 250/1
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Chizz said:

Chris or Johnnie.
    When the takeover is completed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    i think paddy @ 500/1 is a good bet for the name
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Arthur is the current favourite but the value must be in Donald at 250/1
    Expect it to be Arthur or Albert.
  • Options
    Hermann or Stavros perhaps.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

I hope they put his birth certificate in a safe place so when the knock comes on the door to prove he is a UK citizen he is sorted :wink:
  • Options

Chizz said:

I wonder if they have to discuss the name with others? Would they be allowed to call the baby Dave or Terry?
    hoof_it_up_to_benty Windsor gets my vote.
  • Options

Some years ago (about 20 I think) we were at work set for a royal visit by Prince Charles who was going to visit the cancer centre. We were told that we were to form a line and if the Prince deigned to speak to us individually we were to address him as “your highness” or “Sir”.

I told my managers that if he spoke directly to me that I would of course be polite and respectful but I couldn’t rule out the possibility of me calling him “mate”

Strangely that day I was told that I would need to remain clinical during the visit and work in the CT scanner.

In the end he didn’t show up due to him running late from a previous engagement.

I did on three occasions meet Princess Diana who made frequent visits to the department where I worked at that time. She always arrived after the dept was closed generally after six and would turn up with one bodyguard. I found her charming and genuinely interested in what was going on. She made sure that her visits were low key and generally unannounced.

How did you address Diana ?
    Luv, darling or perhaps gal ?
  • Options
    I don’t think I had reason to address her formally. I really can’t remember but I’m sure I wouldn’t have been impolite or fawning.
  • Options
    I wonder if Philip was ever given indefinite leave to stay in the UK when he arrived via Greece and Denmark.
  • Options
    Looking like the name will be Alexander.
  • Options
    I'd love them to call him Mohammed, just to see the chaos it would cause.