Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ricardo Fuller (ed. Signs for Spanners)

edited July 2014 in General Charlton
Apologies if this has been covered. According to Sky, several Championship Clubs are interested in him. He is still training with us and states that he would love to stay with but we have not proposed anything. I personally think the bloke is a class act and I would love to see him sign again. Equally our young strikers can only benefit from his experience and knowledge. I have a feeling we will offer him a deal.

Comments

• Options
    who?
  • Options
    Sign him up, great player
  • Options
    How tall is he?
  • Options
    I'm guessing Powell hoped the takeover would be sorted by now and that's why he released our strike force, in the hope that better players would come up. The takeover fell through, we have no money and now maybe we will end up looking at Fuller again?

Fuller is definitely a good player but maybe Powell wanted a strike force that was more regular, with both Fuller and Haynes fairly injury prone.
  • Options
    would the collective moanfest be happy with Yann, Coulibaly, Obika and Fuller?
  • Options
    I wrote this for another post .. here is more relevant:

a fit and motivated Fuller will still be (I am sure) a fearsome beast .. last year he never looked especially fit. I was so pleased when he signed, I'll be even more pleased if he re-signs, with the caveat that he is Full(er)y fit
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Yes, the Sky report was spotted and relayed here yesterday. With all that Prem experience he adds a bit of class, as you say, but he is injury-prone. Coulibaly a better bet?
  • Options
    Macronate said:

would the collective moanfest be happy with Yann, Coulibaly, Obika

i'd be happy with that and one other but not Fuller
  • Options
    We've only had a couple of pre-season games and I miss him already :(
  • Options
    Would be great on a pay as your play/preformance type deal. We definitely need strengthening in that area!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He could be very effective as an impact sub off the bench
  • Options
    Macronate said:

NOT one of the moaners but for me, YES !

• Options

Yes, the Sky report was spotted and relayed here yesterday. With all that Prem experience he adds a bit of class, as you say, but he is injury-prone. Coulibaly a better bet?

Cheers for that. Coulibaly could be a better bet; however,I would miss Ricardo staggering around as if he has just returned from the battle of Wounded Knee.

• Options
    Sign him up
  • Options
    I liked Fuller but for 2 things. 1) his injuries and 2) he didn't come across as much of team player, choosing to try himself each time rather than pass to another team member when he was in trouble. Many times last year he had the ball in the middle of the park and got closed down by opposing players but looked to go through them rather than passing; and then lost possesion. I think maybe he thinks he is too good for Championship (maybe he is right).

No doubting his ability, scored some good goals and i wouldn't be disappointed if he re-signed for us. Those two aspects just sit in my mind thats all.

I would prefer a younger long term player, but as said wouldn't be disappointed with him.
  • Options
    Given our lack of experienced striking options I'd be happy to take him back.
  • Options
    Macronate said:

They wouldn't be happy with Messi, Ronaldo, Van Persie and Rooney

• Options
    Forget fuller, His is finished. 5 goals from 31 games? He is one of those strikers that has hit the age where he is just not the player he was. I would hate to see him back in a charlton shirt.
  • Options
    He was unplayable at times - if wages are right for the club - he certainly won't weaken us!
  • Options
    Bob22 said:

Forget fuller, His is finished. 5 goals from 31 games? He is one of those strikers that has hit the age where he is just not the player he was. I would hate to see him back in a charlton shirt.

I'm assuming you didn't actually go to many games he played in last year.

Very few players in this league can control a ball and hold off players like him. Great dribbler too.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think Powell must be at least quite hopeful of signing him again... if he wasn't, we are effectively keeping him fit for another championship club
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Ha ha Füllers Strike Rate

I dont Care if he Scores 0 in 40 And we win all the Games one Nil

Given the Way we are Set up , can't u see that a one man wrecking machine up top is exactly the type of player we need. If the squad evolves and we start dominating possession , maybe that kind of player is not right for such tactics. Whilst we are content to soak up pressure and play on the break, fuller fits perfect. SCP sees this and that's why he is prepared to give RF10 the benefit of the doubt in fitness

In some games he played he kept entire defences occupied until we got a foothold

Palace, Ipswich and watford.... He was sensational

I don't think judging Ricardo on strike Rate demonstrates anything other than a misunderstanding of the subtleties of the game
  • Options
    Sign him up IMO, always a threat..
  • Options
    If you can keep him reasonably fit, then I'd keep him for another season,for his ability to do the unexpected. Hard work and team spirit needs to be allied to a bit of individual brilliance, which he can provide.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    And sorry but your comment is so wrong it's unreal

At the peak of his career he was a ten goal a season merchant. Didn't stop him being the player of the season year on year

• Options

Given the Way we are Set up , can't u see that a one man wrecking machine is exactly the type of player we need.

In some games he played he kept entire defences occupied until we got a foothold

I don't think judging Ricardo on strike Rate demonstrates anything other than a misunderstanding of the subtleties of the game

I agree with every single word of that
  • Options
    also the game at home to P'boro was just petering out until into nothing until he unleashed a thunderbolt (and then went off injured).
  • Options

Given the Way we are Set up , can't u see that a one man wrecking machine up top is exactly the type of player we need. If the squad evolves and we start dominating possession , maybe that kind of player is not right for such tactics. Whilst we are content to soak up pressure and play on the break, fuller fits perfect. SCP sees this and that's why he is prepared to give RF10 the benefit of the doubt in fitness

I to, agree with this.
    The way he bombarded himself through Ipswich and various others sides defences was legendary.
  • Options
    its also his possible use as as impact sub------defenders see him coming on its a whole new train of thought and possible problems. IF we can get him back at a reasonable pay rate if still have him in the squad.
  • Options

Spot on mate. I thought I was in the minority until I read that and the people agreeing with you.

Lets not beat around the bush: This guy has the skill to scare the shit out of defenders. Sure, he may not be at his peak, but he's still able to do some damage. He can still come up with those moments of magic that create chances out of nothing, or creates a goal all alone. Yeah, he may be a bit selfish and greedy - but it does works at times.

Palace away he was incredible in that first half, and stood out for me - and in that first 45 I think all of our guys were good; Fuller just edged it though. I didn't make the Watford game so I can't comment for that, but from I gather he played a blinder there as well.

The fact is though, even when he hasn't got his scoring boots on - you can be pretty confident that he's going to be helping others get the chance..

Bolton at Home, the game where our fortunes turned and our form picked up. We were 2-0 down at 20 minutes. Fuller caused their defence so many issues that they gave a way a free kick (which directly led to a goal) and then a penalty (duly scored) - within 5 minutes or so of eachother! That won the game for us - and that game boosted us enough to win a good share of points throughout the rest of the season.

We'll miss Ricardo Fuller if he doesn't stay around. It's just a shame that he can be prone to shoulder injuries, as his game is physical and does revolve around barging defences out of the way.