Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ricardo Fuller (ed. Signs for Spanners)

Comments

• Options
    millwall aside, i love the unpredictable legend that is ian holloway!
  • Options

Surprised he has gone there considering their fans history,

Emmanuel Frimpong and Danny Haynes both suffered from racial abuse when we played them in December 2012
    Nathaniel Chalobah accused the fans of racist comments in December 2013
    El-Hadji Diouf a fan was banned for racially abusing him in Feb 2013
    Lee Chung-yong, Darren Pratley and Benik Afobe and Marvin Sordell all suffered when playing for Bolton against Millwall in october 2012

I know these are probably isolated to a few fans
    and against the opposition but it does not excuse it

amd lets not forget
    Danny Shittu their own player recieved abuse as well
    http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/53306/millwall-fans-racially-abusing-their-own-player

So racist that up until Forde last season we voted a black player our player of the season for 3 seasons running.
  • Options
    Seems like their cage has been rattled !
  • Options
    Fuller is a great footballer we all know that but his best years were long ago. I think we squeezed the last juice out of Ricci and even then he was hardly ever present. Keeping him fit will be Holloways biggest challenge and if Millwall get 20 appearances out of him I will be amazed.
  • Options

Emmanuel Frimpong and Danny Haynes both suffered from racial abuse when we played them in December 2012
    Lee Chung-yong, Darren Pratley and Benik Afobe and Marvin Sordell all suffered when playing for Bolton against Millwall in october 2012

amd lets not forget
    http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/53306/millwall-fans-racially-abusing-their-own-player

So racist that up until Forde last season we voted a black player our player of the season for 3 seasons running.
    Think I upset a spanner
  • Options
    I'm not overly enamoured by the signing but will give him a chance to see if he's got anything left in the tank.

He hasn't been signed to spearhead our attack so, as ShootersHillGuru has said, if he plays 20 games for us I'll be happy.

I still think we'll get Smith from Leeds to partner Gregory as our first choice front two.
  • Options
    He's played a reasonable amount of games, (nearly 30) the last two seasons. He doesn't fit our recent signings but I wouldn't have minded him and don't think it is a bad deal for Millwall really.
  • Options

I'm not overly enamoured by the signing but will give him a chance to see if he's got anything left in the tank.

He hasn't been signed to spearhead our attack so, as ShootersHillGuru has said, if he plays 20 games for us I'll be happy.

I still think we'll get Smith from Leeds to partner Gregory as our first choice front two.

Welcome to our forum, keep us up to date on how you think you will do this season
  • Options
    Been down The Den today and found one of your old OAPs wandering around lost. Seems to be suffering dementia or something. Seemed to think he could get a job here as we gave Rob Hulse a job the other year. Can you pop around and collect him please, Jamaican fella with gold stud in his ear. Might bat for the other side. His mobility scooter needs a recharge.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    ross1 said:

Welcome to our forum, keep us up to date on how you think you will do this season
    Thanks.

To be honest, I'm past making predictions where we're concerned as this division is a bitch.

Genuinely wont know anything until the season gets underway as any friendlies played mean next to nothing.

Not very insightful, I know, but hopefully Holloway can sprinkle some of his mental magic on us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think Millwall will do alright. Can't see them bottom three in any case. My prediction is 13th.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Been down The Den today and found one of your old OAPs wandering around lost. Seems to be suffering dementia or something. Seemed to think he could get a job here as we gave Rob Hulse a job the other year. Can you pop around and collect him please, Jamaican fella with gold stud in his ear. Might bat for the other side. His mobility scooter needs a recharge.

Ask him if he's Belgian. If he's not tell him to fuck off!
  • Options
    looks like he is going to be used only as back up and to help there youngsters
  • Options
    I personally think he's been brought in now because they like any other team arnt guaranteed to sign there top targets ie Matt Smith!
  • Options
    They just did it to p*** us off.
  • Options
    chris powell used to purr about ricardo, like - he's unplayable on his day. from those who were there in the fuller years, what was his "unplayable" talent? apart from the goals, cafc player didn't used to show me much that i would call unplayable, or did he just shine amongst the relative dullness around him?
  • Options
    edited July 2014

chris powell used to purr about ricardo, like - he's unplayable on his day. from those who were there in the fuller years, what was his "unplayable" talent? apart from the goals, cafc player didn't used to show me much that i would call unplayable, or did he just shine amongst the relative dullness around him?

think of di canio, albeit a slower and less skillful model. Some one who could engineer a pass, a touch, a flick that could set up attacking situations from a situation where most other players would play a pass back or sideways or lose the ball. He also had a big physical presence and obviously added technical quality.

Fuller looked a bit creaky when he was here, 2 years on and he's probably passed it.
  • Options
    Millwall look they mean business this season , i think they are going places.
  • Options
    Powell always kept him on for 20 minutes longer than he should of. He only had 60 minutes in him 18 months ago... Legs are shot to bits
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2014

He had this uncanny ability to get by people when there didn't appear to be an opening. At his best seemed to run at brick walls and get through them somehow.
    We only saw occasional flashes, but I always thought he might make something happen when he was on the pitch.
    I guess he will become less and less effective with each passing year, and then there's his fitness (or lack of it).
    Would desperately like to have kept him last season though

This, the goal away at Palarse to give us the lead was a classic example.
  • Options

think of di canio, albeit a slower and less skillful model. Some one who could engineer a pass, a touch, a flick that could set up attacking situations from a situation where most other players would play a pass back or sideways or lose the ball. He also had a big physical presence and obviously added technical quality.

Fuller looked a bit creaky when he was here, 2 years on and he's probably passed it.
    Indeed - I think Fuller was summed up perfectly by that late winner he got at The Valley against Posh when he lashed in a 30 yard screamer - and pulled his hamstring in the process.

Of these three late career moves that he has made I think we probably got the best out of him.

The thing with him going to Millwall is that they love an aggressive 'trier' who steams about the pitch - Fuller is a very languid player who can appear lazy at times.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

He had this uncanny ability to get by people when there didn't appear to be an opening. At his best seemed to run at brick walls and get through them somehow.
    We only saw occasional flashes, but I always thought he might make something happen when he was on the pitch.
    I guess he will become less and less effective with each passing year, and then there's his fitness (or lack of it).
    Would desperately like to have kept him last season though

Spot on. His control with the ball was so good that he could always beat players in one on one situations without really having to do much. Incredible skill.

Away at Ipswich was one of the best individual performances I've seen from a Charlton player. On two different occasions he managed to stand still with the ball and put a defender on his arse without actually moving anywhere.

Absolutely unplayable on his day.
  • Options
    Quality player but his game has already started a decline, so i don't think Millwall can expect too much. However, if you're looking for a manager that can squeeze a bit of talent out of a player, then Holloway aint a bad bet.
  • Options

amd lets not forget

Who do you work for, The Daily Mail?

Perhaps Fuller is bright enough to not let a reputation and a few incidents form an outdated and prejudiced view against a whole set of supporters.

Or he saw that prior to last year our player of the season for the previous 3 was a black player.

• Options

amd lets not forget

Who do you work for, The Daily Mail?

Perhaps Fuller is bright enough to not let a reputation and a few incidents form an outdated and prejudiced view against a whole set of supporters.

Or he saw that prior to last year our player of the season for the previous 3 was a black player.

Ah so that makes the constant reports of 'Racism at the den' ok then does it?!

How many people vote?
    Granted the ones that do are most likely far from racist - but they are in the minoirty at millwall not vice versa.

meeerrrrrrrrrr.

xxx
  • Options
    I dont necessarily think its his legs that have gone, more his picks up a lot of upper body injuries such as shoulder problems.

he did very well in that season for us, playing a very difficult role on his own most of the time.

he will be of great use to a team that is otherwise getting outplayed in a game. Hopefully we have moved on from that style of play
  • Options
    welcome to him, past it, won't score more than five goals next season imo
  • Options

welcome to him, past it, won't score more than five goals next season imo

We all know against whom two of those will be though....